Still Hurts to See It

asearcher

Project QL Intern
Jul 1, 2005
I finally finished watching season 5 (I've been watching 1 or 2 episodes a day since I got the DVD's...today was a marathon) and got to Mirror Image.

It was wonderful watching through the show. I had a friend lend me a bad copy awhile back and I think the snow and lines and the horrid sound of watching that particular tape took some of the power of the show away. I've read and re-read the script at Al's Place Mirror Imaging. But tonight...it was clear and it was everything I remembered. I even caught some nuances tonight I never realized before...but still

Seeing Sam's tears as he chose not to go home chosing instead to make it right for Al...talking with Beth (yes...hearing Georgia On My Mind was great!)...and then...the third black screen. Even with the name spelled wrong...it hurt to see it.

It brought back 1993 again...

:\ :( :\ :( :\ :(

Last edited by a moderator:
The feeling is completely mutual. That episode still holds up today for me aswell, as it still evokes as much emotion no matter how many times you watch it. Even though people criticize it for ending the show on a cliffhanger, it's still a fantastic episode in it's own right and it's great to have it music intact, and on DVD. :)

I always had mixed feelings about the episode. In recent years I've liked it less and less and have come to the conclusion that I think it's the most poorly written episode in the series. It has bits and pieces that I like, but overall I feel like anybody could have written the episode given the fact that nothing makes sense. Too many things are thrown out there to make you wonder with no explanations thought of to back them up. Even Sam's choice to either go home or keep leaping doesn't really make sense to me. I don't even really like discussing the episode much anymore, because at the end of the day there is no right explanation. People can come up with a million theories as to why Sam kept leaping, etc., but when you make an episode that throws out the entire theory of the show, anything should be able to be permitted. The ending is sad, however, and still does evoke the same emotion the first time I watched it. You can't help but feel bad for Sam.

I can't help but agree. There are parts that I love about that episode, but when all is said and done it is really hard for me to watch. It still makes me mad, sad, and a little frushrated. It takes me back to when I was a kid and wined at the tv screen because that was just not how it should be.

I think it said something about the show that after all this time it can still envoke so much emotion.

"Even with the name spelled wrong...it hurt to see it."

I havent got the dvd yet so i cant see for myself, which name is spelt incorrectly, Sam or Beckett?

Im assuming you mean the, Doctor Sam Beckett... (Spoiler), bit at the end

qleap1 said:
"Even with the name spelled wrong...it hurt to see it."

I havent got the dvd yet so i cant see for myself, which name is spelt incorrectly, Sam or Beckett?

Im assuming you mean the, Doctor Sam Beckett... (Spoiler), bit at the end

Yes, in the (spoiler) bit Beckett is spelled with only one t (Becket).

I watched it again today as well. I still love it (I know I'm in the minority here). I love that there was no happy ending, that there is endless potential, that Sam made the sacrifice for Al. I love the loose threads, the unexplained stuff, the air of confusion. I love the tears. I love the Bartender, whom I have come to believe is God, and his quirky non-answers.

Yeah, the typo still irks me.

It does hurt... When I first saw it, it was about ten years ago, and I saw only the last ten or so minutes. The end left me so traumatized that I couldn't watch it when it re-ran. When I finally got the DVDs, I wasn't certain I wanted to watch it. Yeah, it was almost totally new for me, but I couldn't help but remember how it left me feeling when I was younger. Knowing how it ended helped alleviate the pain somewhat, but still...

It makes me want to do something to persuade the Powers That Be to continue the series and not leave Sam hanging!