Does Sam need to come home for Quantum Leap to have closure? (spoilers)

JoeLeaper

Project QL Intern
Aug 4, 2006
Okay, I hope that all of you can participate in this thread, because I'd really like to hear your thoughts!

With the recent (seemingly false) excitement over the wikipedia article about the Quantum Leap movie, and after reading some of your responses, I thought it a good time to ask the question: Does Sam need to come home for the show to really have closure? Would that be the only satisfying ending for you guys?

As it stands now, the ending to Mirror Image is a letdown to be sure, if only because we want more! And also, we all know the painful truth that Mirror Image was NOT meant to be a series finale, but rather, a season finale, and the beginning of something new and exciting for the show. But NBC didn't allow it to happen; so naturally, we're upset. We want closure. But what exactly does that mean? Now, I'm not necessarily asking for us to guess how it would end, because really, that's Donald P. Bellisario's job (although, I'd like to hear ideas anyway.) What I'm asking is, what if Sam really DIDN'T ever return home, like it says at the end of Mirror Image?

To me--even though the letdown couldn't be avoided--seeing that Sam never returned home was a lot more satisfying than if it had just said something like, "After five more years of leaping through time, putting right what once went wrong, Dr. Sam Beckett returned home to Donna and lived happily ever after." While I'd be happy for Sam, from a story teller's perspective, it really seems like weak story telling to me, especially after what was established in the fifth season. The ending as it exists now is heart-breaking. But it really does a good job at showing the veracity of Sam's intentions behind creating Project Quantum Leap to begin with: namely, "...to make the world a better place." Now that Sam understands that he's the one leaping himself around, and since he's such an altruistic character, it makes sense to me that he would spend the rest of his life leaping around, and helping as many people as he can. But as I see it, it's not all tragic for Sam. It's strongly implied near the end of Mirror Image that Sam will have opportunities to take sabbaticals or breaks from leaping, "...especially before embarking on a difficult new assignment." Yes, his leaps will become more difficult, but he'll get to take breaks, which, to me, seems to suggest that he'll probably get to go home on occasion. He'll go home, visit his wife, and then leap again, and continue to do that for the rest of his life (and perhaps beyond that as an angel.) So, in essence, the subtext at the end of Mirror Image should have said something like, "Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home permanently."

So, if the conflict of whether or not Sam will return home is taken out of the equation, is there still a basis for a strong storyline if the show were to continue in some form? Absolutely!!!!!!!! In fact, in my opinion, that conflict shouldn't even be there at all anymore. This is the reason that I don't really like the proposed premise of A Bold Leap Forward. The idea of the show being about Sam's daughter leaping through time, trying to get him back home just seems very sterile and uninteresting to me. I really don't even want to see a brand new full-fledged series (Dean Stockwell has said he wouldn't be available for one anyway.) If they did do a series, I certainly wouldn't complain, but I'd rather see a trilogy of big-screen movies instead! These are some of the things I think they could cover in the movies: Who is bartender Al? How does he know so much? If Sam wasn't the first leaper, how did leaping start? What really happened to the Evil Leapers, and how did they start? What or who is Lothos? What happens to Sam and Al's relationship, now that Al's married? Now that Sam has leaped as himself, does that destroy his time barriers? Can he now leap into the future? And there is so much more!!

Okay, so, what would be required for a satisfying ending? And I want to hear thoughts and ideas on the other things I talked about too. What else could they cover in movies? Do you agree or disagree with me?

Sorry this was so long. I guess I was in the mood to write a philosophical essay on Quantum Leap! :wacko

You're not exactly treading new ground here as these discussions have been going on since 1995. :) I would read this forum voraciously as there are thousands of pages about the topics you raise. And of course there is the Virtual Seasons forum with hundreds of fan submitted stories, some of which are to the writing level of the original shows.

I think it really comes down to "what would have happened in season 6?"

It is a bummer that nothing has been published by Bellisario, Pratt, or any of the principals involved about any script ideas that may have been in the works.

As to the question of Sam and Al's relationship now that Al is married, the answer to that can be found by reading the last few pages of the "Mirror Image" script as posted here on Brian's site. A scene was scripted with Beth and Al at Project Quantum Leap discussing how they're going to try to find Sam.

I'd love to see a movie trilogy! Put Sam in the middle of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the Alamo, the far distant future, Biblical times. The possibilities are endless.

I still hate the fact they canceled this show. It could have gone on forever. Why does sci-fi have such a hard time on networks historically, especially good quality programming like Quantum Leap? Of course now NBC is running with "Heroes" with is pretty good stuff, and even has a time traveler with Hiro, but they should have never canceled Quantum Leap after only 5 years.

I will probably get burned at the stake for this, but Quantum Leap never had enough sci-fi elements to really grab the core sci-fi market. So it had to rely on fans of the drama of the show. They did make some attempts to grab attention with the two story arcs -- Evil Leapers and The Trilogy.

I would hope that loose ends would have been tied up in season 6.

I am surprised at the popularity of Heroes. There are some elements of it, like keeping track of the abilities of all the characters and long story arcs that take several episodes to resolve, that seems like it would work against it. Also it doesn't have enough action. The draw of "24" is, I think, that it is like a Jack Ryan movie every week.

I know Quantum Leap never went overboard with sci-fi, but that's part of the reason it was good. I have a hard time getting into a lot of shows on the sci-fi channel just because they are so over the top. All space and wormholes, but nothing you can relate too. Sci-fi is at it's best when it reflects how an extraordinary event might affect your average joe.

feldon30 said:
I will probably get burned at the stake for this, but Quantum Leap never had enough sci-fi elements to really grab the core sci-fi market. So it had to rely on fans of the drama of the show.

I agree with you. I don't even think of it as science fiction. It's pure fantasy. It doesn't look like a sci-fi show, with so little hardware and special effects. That's fine with me, as I'm not that much interested in space ships and aliens. It's all about the human drama, with some interesting time-travel tangles.

Also, I thought the original post on this thread was very good (I haven't been around here for years, so I haven't read those many pages of discussion about this) and I wanted to reply to it, but I just haven't had time.

Me and my usually hating happy endings like the idea of Sam not getting home.

For a while I thought it'd be good if Sam got to go home...and then I thought about how unrealistic (not that the show really is realistic) it would be if he did.

Please don't kill me...I'll try to explain.

Look, ok, he changes all these things in the past, making everything different from what it was when he was home.

It shouldn't work...he shouldn't get to go home 'cause it's not really his home anymore.

That's my thoughts, anyway.

feldon30 said:
I will probably get burned at the stake for this, but Quantum Leap never had enough sci-fi elements to really grab the core sci-fi market. So it had to rely on fans of the drama of the show. They did make some attempts to grab attention with the two story arcs -- Evil Leapers and The Trilogy.

While I would agree that the Evil Leaper story arc was much more centered around sci-fi elements, the Trilogy story arc definitely was not. Although it did have ramifications in time-continuum, it was more a spooky tale situated in the dark south.

feldon30 said:
I am surprised at the popularity of Heroes. There are some elements of it, like keeping track of the abilities of all the characters and long story arcs that take several episodes to resolve, that seems like it would work against it. Also it doesn't have enough action. The draw of "24" is, I think, that it is like a Jack Ryan movie every week.

The BBC have managed to secure the rights, so I will see it for myself in the new year. Sadly, I had to say goodbye to "24" as the 'raping' of a few of the show's (and mine) favourite characters was too much to swallow for me. But, as you say, explosions and deaths is the main attraction for the people who watch that show (the first three seasons were also about the characters, while nowadays only the bad guys are somewhat three dimensional), so it is still very popular. I am more the kind of guy who walks away from a show when (for example) Al gets killed off just to scare the audience (to get the ratings up).

I'm with Joy on this one, although when I first saw the words flash on the screen, I at first felt hollow and angry. I had been rooting in Sam's corner for so long, and then it was pulled out from under me like a rug.

The more I think about it, I really realize that Sam going home would have destroyed the purpose. I do like to think that Sam has enough control of his destiny to get a break every once in a while, but Sam was meant to leap.

It's Dr. Beckett's subconscious desire to make the world the better place that's preventing him from going home permanently. God or fate is only partially in control of his leaping. If Sam was in total control, then Sam would be righting wrongs that are supposed to stay the way they are. "Sometimes, 'That's the way it is', is the BEST explanation."(Bruce McGill as Al the bartender from "Mirror Image") But there are still an infinite amount of things needed to be made right. Dr. Maxwell Connors(QL:TVS) thinks that Sam is in total control of his leaps and therefore making things right what should be left alone. He obviously is wrong. Sam was meant to leap. It is his destiny.

Great, now he's quoting Star Wars!

~Steve