Shock Theather

when did Al mention Chemical Problem? sorry it's been a little while since my last viewing of this episode, for forgive me stupidness, lol.

I'm not exactly sure when he says it, but i could check for you, i was going to watch that ep again anyway, just cause scott and deans acting makes it so compelling to watch!

I'm glad Scott got a golden globe award for his acting in Shock Theatre. In my opinion he deserved a million awards! :)

Kinda off topic here, but seeing as there are so many QL experts here, that i'm sure can answer this next question with ease and clarity, i'm gonna go right ahead and ask away!

When Sam leaps into a new life, everyone in that time and Al can see the image of the person he has leapt into and not sam's image, i know that.

But from the begining of season 1 and throughout season 2, i always thought it was just Sam's soul that leaps into the person and their soul goes into sam's body back in the imaging chamber.

But in the Season 3 ep '8 and a half months' Al tells us that everyone in that time can see a sort of hologram image (or something like that!) of the person and that it is Sam's body in that time, therefore making it impossible for him to have a baby!

so i suppose it works the same back in the imaging chamber, right?

Well, i'm guessing so anyway.

Please forgive me for rambling on. and if you have trouble finding a question in there, so do i reading it back! But i'm tired. That's my excuse and i'm sticking to it! Well i'm off to get some much needed sleep.

Take care of yourselves. :)

yeah i am confused too, the show seems to go back and forth between both ways, i always believed that it was Sam's soul leaping just as you have, and in reading the novels, most of them suggest the same thing, yet in most of the show it appears to be sam's body leaping, especially for the trilogies becasue Sammy jo could not have been born as Sam's daughter if it was only his soul that leaped becasue then Wills body would have produced her. so that made me believe that it was his body, until i started reading the novels, now i have no idea.

Lol! i'm glad i'm not the only confused one! I've never read any of the novels.

Are they any good? i'm sure they are, although it'd probably confuse me when the technical explaining stuff comes up.
I can just about understand it when Al says it, but having my own brain do all the work, well there's no telling what will happen! it'll probably have a critical meltdown! lol! ;)

Anyway, they should really make up their minds on all their theories in QL, i mean come on guys! I know you're meant to leave the audience guessing, but working out their own theories, well that's pushing it a bit too far! Hehe.

Well take care once again.
I must really get some sleep now! No one reply straight away, so i'm not compelled to answer!

Well, what I always thought it was was this...it was always Sam's body that leaps thru time. Sam's body leaps in and the other persons body leaps out and into the waiting room. It's the aura of the other person that everyone else sees. In the case of "What Price, Gloria?" Al sees the aura because the connection between Sam and Al wasn't tweaked in the way that Al saw Sam as Sam. I think they mention in a later ep that Ziggy was tweaked to where Al could see Sam as Sam and the person in the waiting room looks like Sam. Hope that makes sense, hehe.

Samantha Beckett

Samantha Beckett said:
Well, what I always thought it was was this...it was always Sam's body that leaps thru time. Sam's body leaps in and the other persons body leaps out and into the waiting room. It's the aura of the other person that everyone else sees. In the case of "What Price, Gloria?" Al sees the aura because the connection between Sam and Al wasn't tweaked in the way that Al saw Sam as Sam. I think they mention in a later ep that Ziggy was tweaked to where Al could see Sam as Sam and the person in the waiting room looks like Sam. Hope that makes sense, hehe.

Samantha Beckett

yeah i remember hearing somewhere about the What Price Gloria thingm but it had to have happened AFTER what price gloria becasue Sam has a towel over himself and Al comments "ah its ok Sam you can lower that" and Sam says "You can see me as her?" or something along the lines. so i guess after that, to prevent anymore problems with Al when Sam leaped into a woman they had to tweak it so he cant see her. lol.

Actually there was nothing in any episode that directly stated that anything was done to alter how Al saw Sam. Indirectly you can infer that somehow it changed since in the episode "Miss Deep South" Al describes Sam as "Scarlett O'Hara on steroids". From that you can make the inference that Al is seeing Sam as Sam. Nothing, though, ever states this in a cerain way.

From the start of the series I always interpreted it as Sam leaping body, mind and soul. The second season epsidode "Blind Faith" lends credence to this long before "8 1/2 Months". Sam leaps into a blind person but he retains his sight.

so that made me believe that it was his body, until i started reading the novels, now i have no idea.
One thing to keep in mind with the novels, even though they are authorized stories they are not part of the canon of QL. The canon of QL is what is contained in the ninety some-odd episodes that aired and no where else. Just as there are many, many Star Trek novels that have been published it's only the aired episodes that contain the canon for the various Star Trek series and not the novels. As a matter of fact, here and there you can find Trek novels that contradict each other. The novels are simply the author's interpretation of what they were seeing in the aired episodes just as fan fiction is the author's interpretation of what they've seen.

you make a good point, i guess i can't argue with that logic :)
in fact when you mentioned Sam retaining his sight when he leaped into Andrew, it made me think of a second instance just like it, in the episode "Nowhere to Run" (one of my top favs) Sam leaps into a Captin in the Vietnam war who has lost his legs in battle, yet Sam retained his legs.

In various discussions over the years, Don Bellisario has made clear that Sam's body leaps, along with his mind and soul. There is an aura that only Al can see through (after Gloria); Sam sees the Leapee in the mirror, and the Leapee sees Sam's reflection. A lot of the confusion comes, I think, in the fact that descriptions like TV Guide will invariably say, "Sam leaps into the body of ..." But for canon, Sam is always Sam (except in Shock Theatre and LHO, where he's crazy); he can do everything he always could, and has to learn or avoid stuff he can't. Like, as mentioned above, as Andrew, he could see although the pianist was blind; on the other hand, he could play the piano because he already knew how. He could walk even though the Vietnam vet had no legs, and it looked to the orderly like he was floating in air. In Leaping without a Net, however, he had to learn to catch the trapeze flyer, even though he had leaped into a person who did that for a living. And in The Wrong Stuff, he had to continually remember to crouch, since chimps don't walk upright like humans do.
Sometimes it freaked the characters out - like Sam's insistence that he was experiencing pregnancy and labor in 8 1/2 months - and sometimes he used the fact that it was his body, his strength, and his abilities to his own advantage, like in the Last Gunfighter where he had a 40 year old's eyesight and reflexes, not an 80 year old's, and was able to outshoot the other guy, or in Miss Deep South, where he dangled that photographer out the window, or in Another Mother, where he kung-fued the kidnappers (Son: Mom, where'd you learn to do that?! Sam: Uh, Girl Scouts.).

He also experienced "residual" effects, like Will's stuttering in Trilogy Part 2, and the detective's dreams/memories in Dreams. And then there's the uber-creepy Oswald episode where Sam disassembles and reassembles an M-16 while talking to Al, even though, as himself, he wouldn't know how.

It's actually pretty consistent throughout the whole series, with the minor exception of eyeglasses. Since Sam's got 20/20 vision, wearing the Leapee's glasses should have made his vision blurry.

bluedana said:
It's actually pretty consistent throughout the whole series, with the minor exception of eyeglasses. Since Sam's got 20/20 vision, wearing the Leapee's glasses should have made his vision blurry.

yeah, and in Camakazi Kid, you'll notice that Sam takes off Cam's glasses when he's nt around anyone, scine he of course doesnt need them, however it's curious becasue he doesn't seem to do that in other episodes where his host wears glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was one other episode where we don't see the leapee's reflection, and that's Blood Moon (where Sam leaps into a vampire - and since vampires don't reflect you can't see what he looks like). But if you watch the episode beforehand we see the vampire leap into the waiting room, so we know what he looks like, and Al says that Sam looks like the portrait. So I guess you're right that Sam Beterman is the only leapee we never see.

naggindragon said:
There was one other episode where we don't see the leapee's reflection, and that's Blood Moon (where Sam leaps into a vampire - and since vampires don't reflect you can't see what he looks like). But if you watch the episode beforehand we see the vampire leap into the waiting room, so we know what he looks like, and Al says that Sam looks like the portrait. So I guess you're right that Sam Beterman is the only leapee we never see.

true, and we just barely see Archie in Hurricane becasue he's at the Hurricane party to warn them and he sees his refection in some mirror that had a design on it or something, so we don't get the best view of Archie's reflection, but at least it was something.