Season Three... is it really *that* bad with music replacement?

The_P_Man

Project QL Intern
Jul 27, 2005
Hello. Since its debut on DVD, I have thought about purchasing season three of QL on DVD, or at least asking it for Christmas. However, my question is, is it worth getting? After all the music problems season two had, I wonder about season three. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks;
The_P_Man

* A lot of music is missing from season 3.
* The episode "Jimmy" which, ironically, does not have any music substitutions, has been reported to have a warbling sound effect during the entire episode.
* There are some picture quality problems (too dark/grainy) on some of the episodes.

Whether that keeps you from buying is up to you.

EDIT: Fixed some info

Last edited:
feldon29 said:
* Just as much, if not more, music is missing from season 3.

Actually, Season 3 is MUCH better with the music replacements than Season 2. But that's only because Season 3 has a lot less music than Season 2. I can only remember a couple of episodes from Season 2 that didn't have removed music, as opposed to more than half of the episodes in this season.

There are some episodes where the picture quality is sub-par. Three of which that are too dark are (that I can think of off the top of my head): "Southern Comforts," "Black On White On Fire" and "Miss Deep South."

Unaffected Episodes:
1) "The Leap Home" ─ There's an unaffected musical score and "Imagine" is kept because Scott Bakula sings it.

2) "The Boogiem@n"

3) "The Great Spontini"

4) "Future Boy"

5) "Piano Man" ─ Songs remain because they are sung.

6) "Southern Comforts" ─ Songs remain because they are sung.

7) "Glitter Rock" ─ Songs remain because they are sung.

8 ) "A Hunting We Will Go"

9) "Last Dance Before An Execution" ─ No removed songs, however, the entire audio is slightly screwed up.

10) "Nuclear Family"

11) "Shock Theater" ─ Al's "Alphabet Rap" remains because he sings/raps it.

Episodes With Removed Music Which Aren't Ruined:
1) "Heart Of a Champion" ─ I'm pretty sure nothing was removed from this one as well, but some country songs might have been taken out; either way it doesn't affect the episode.

2) "A Little Miracle" ─ A song or two might be missing, but the Christmas "feel" of the episode is not affected as almost all of the music is musical scores or sung by the characters.

3) "Miss Deep South" ─ Two songs removed, but the most humorous scenes involve Sam singing "Great Balls Of Fire" and "Cuanta La Gusta," which remain.

4) "Leap Of Faith" ─ Only one song is in the episode and it's removed, but has no emotional impact in the episode.

Butchered Episodes:
1) "Black On White On Fire" ─ Only one original song remains.

2) "Private Dancer" ─ There's some original songs left in the episode, but there is also a lot removed; fortunately the opening scene is unaffected because Al sings "Oh What a Night" and "Daybreak" still plays during Diana's dance (two of the bigger scenes in the episode).

3) "Runaway" ─ Fortunately "Runaway" remains in the episode probably because it's named after the song, but a lot of other music is removed.

4) "One Strobe Over the Line" ─ All music is removed.

5) "The Leap Home Part II── Vietnam" ─ I can't remember if one song remains or not, or if all music is removed. Either way, it's butchered.

Debatable Episodes:
"8 1/2 Months" ─ This one is probably a matter of opinion, but I don't think it's butchered either.

"Rebel Without a Clue" ─ Again, this one may be a matter of opinion.

Bottom line: At least 11 unaffected episodes and possibly more out of 22, and then some which aren't entirely "butchered" per se. Not that I'm trying to excuse the music changes because they are still unacceptable, but it turns out that it actually isn't as bad as it initially appears to be. You be the judge.

Last edited:
I would buy it if your looking to complete your collection and there isn't any other DVD tv series your collection that needs a new addition.

Myself I bought season 2 and 3 knowing full well of the changes and barring MIA I enjoyed both boxsets. Brought back alot of good memories of the show.

Hate to say it, but I'm more inclined to scoop up the $50 X-Files sets at Amazon.com. $50 for the complete season sets of what has normally retailed for $99 for years.

Hmm. I may still get it. I have a lot of these episodes on VHS already so I may decide to rent season three first and see how bad it is before I decide to buy it. From what it sounds like, they butchered season three pretty bad :)

The_P_Man

1) "The Leap Home" ─ There's an unaffected musical score and "Imagine" is kept because Scott Bakula sings it.

I just had a funny thought. What if Universal had replaced "Imagine" with strings or elevator music even though Scott was singing? It would have made me throw the set across the room, then laugh about it a little later. I almost wouldn't put it past Universal, but it's good to know they've drawn the line somewhere.

The Last Dinosaur said:
I just had a funny thought. What if Universal had replaced "Imagine" with strings or elevator music even though Scott was singing? It would have made me throw the set across the room, then laugh about it a little later. I almost wouldn't put it past Universal, but it's good to know they've drawn the line somewhere.

Universal would scores of hate mail and angry calls/emails over that. An angry mob, headed by a majority of us, would be banging on their front door. I would cry if they did that to "Imagine", thats my favorite Beatles (well, John Lennon) song, and fave one that Scott sings.

Samantha Beckett