Can Leapees see what Sam is doing?

risk_nut

Project QL Intern
Mar 23, 2006
Kitchener, ON Canada
With all the questions about the imaging chamber and what Al can see/hear and what Sam can see/hear; what about the leapee. Can they see/hear what Sam is doing? If they can not see/hear what is happening, how can they go back into their bodies and know what has happened? Or does that matter? With history changed, would they not have a new memory of what has happened? When they are in the IC do they look like Sam or do they maintain their own appearance?
In Double Identity, it seems as if the leapee does not know what has happened. So why does Don Geno not kill Frankie after the leap?

risk_nut said:
With all the questions about the imaging chamber and what Al can see/hear and what Sam can see/hear; what about the leapee. Can they see/hear what Sam is doing? If they can not see/hear what is happening, how can they go back into their bodies and know what has happened? Or does that matter? With history changed, would they not have a new memory of what has happened? When they are in the IC do they look like Sam or do they maintain their own appearance?
In Double Identity, it seems as if the leapee does not know what has happened. So why does Don Geno not kill Frankie after the leap?

I know that Al says to Sam a few times that he (Al) see the leapee and in the IC Al sees Sam. ( at least I think that how it works) in Sam's leap as a woman (What Price Gloria?) Al can see Sam as a woman. So that must mean that Al can't see Sam.

I don't know if I helped any...anyothers?? I'd have to go and see it agian. I think I will :heybaby sounds good to me!

Julie

I was thinking? If AL can't see Sam as Sam. then did Sam body leap? or just his mind and he use's the leapees body? what a thought, somthing that I've never really given much thought about.

Julie

jmellissa said:
I was thinking? If AL can't see Sam as Sam. then did Sam body leap? or just his mind and he use's the leapees body? what a thought, somthing that I've never really given much thought about.

Julie

In later episode after "What Price Gloria", although nothing is directly said one can be led to believe that Al sees Sam as Sam and no longer as the person he leaped into. In the third season episode "Miss Deep South", for example, when Al sees Sam in the southern belle costume he makes a comment about Scarlett O'Hara on steroids - or words to that affect. I doubt he would have said that if it wasn't Sam he was seeing the dress.

As far as what part of Sam is leaping, on several different instances both Al and Sam said it was Sam's whole body that was leaping and that what people saw was simply the aura of the person surrounding him. Episodes that would support this are "Blind Faith" where Sam leaps into the blind piano player but retains his vision, "Nowhere To Run" where Sam leaps into a Vietnam vet who's lost both legs but Sam is still able to get up and walk, and "Trilogy 2" where he father's a child.

Yes I beleive that Sam is Sam and not the leapee. In Runaway, Sam is Butchie a 13 year old. When giving a handshake to "his" mother's old schoolmate the comment is made "Whoa quite the grip" and in the same episode Sam/Butchie pulls the mother to safety, which requires Sam's braun.

In 'Killin' Time', when Leon stiles runs past Gushie with a gun holding up AL, Gushie says 'Hi Dr.Beckett', so Gushie must see the leapee as Sam, maybe its just Al who sees Sam as the leapee because of the neuron link between them. Also, in the episodes LHO and I think the Evil Leaper part 3, the people in the I/C all see their reflection as Sam's, and Al says something like, 'see, that's what you look like to me' - soz, cant remember exact words - so AL must see the leapee as Sam and Sam as the person he's leapt into.

Enterprise said:
In 'Killin' Time', when Leon stiles runs past Gushie with a gun holding up AL, Gushie says 'Hi Dr.Beckett', so Gushie must see the leapee as Sam, maybe its just Al who sees Sam as the leapee because of the neuron link between them. Also, in the episodes LHO and I think the Evil Leaper part 3, the people in the I/C all see their reflection as Sam's, and Al says something like, 'see, that's what you look like to me' - soz, cant remember exact words - so AL must see the leapee as Sam and Sam as the person he's leapt into.

Ok so let me get this strate...Al sees Sam as the leapee and Sam. Right?? :hmm I just keep thinking about some of the places that Al has a hard time with Sam being a woman. or was that just a one time thing. Juile

I don't think there's any one thing clearly stated over and over in the series. Something stated in one episode could be contradicted in the next. Basically, there is no hard and fast because you can find different scenes to support different theories. What it comes down to is that you need to make your own decision regarding what you think Al is seeing. Ultimately, just remember, it's a TV show and they often have that habit of contradicting themselves.

Overbord...sorry.

jmoniz said:
I don't think there's any one thing clearly stated over and over in the series. Something stated in one episode could be contradicted in the next. Basically, there is no hard and fast because you can find different scenes to support different theories. What it comes down to is that you need to make your own decision regarding what you think Al is seeing. Ultimately, just remember, it's a TV show and they often have that habit of contradicting themselves.

:\ My mom just got done telling the same thing. "Julie its just T.V. show don't look at it too hard" well I guess I get a little overbord with the whole idea of the workings of Sam and Al. I will lay this to rest and know that I will just have to let it be what it is... Thanks for your help. Juile :D

jmellissa said:

Julie
In the first 2 seasons, Al sees Sam as the leapee. Come season 3, it is made clear that Al sees Sam. Ziggy may have re-tuned the frequency that Al saw Sam on after the incident with the Samantha Stormer leapee.
It's just a theory.

In the uhhh Halloween episode, the Devil Al could see Sam as Sam (or so I thought), so I assumed that's how it was between Sam and Al in other leaps.

That's funny. No one ever answered the original question on this thread, which wasn't about how Sam looks--it was what leapees remember when they get back home. Are they aware of what Sam was doing? I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but I don't think it's ever addressed in the series at all. So we don't really know.

But there's still an answer why Don Gino didn't kill Frankie when he got back. Frankie and Theresa had to get engaged, immediately and publicly, before Sam could leap, exactly so Don Gino wouldn't kill either of them. Numerous people could remind Don Gino that he gave his blessing and he himself insisted that the engagement be announced, so he can't very well be angry at Frankie. Plus I think a traditional Catholic would take the engagement very seriously--it's practically a marriage. Interfering with that would be going against the church.

I'm wondering if this is the only time that Sam did something to make sure the leapee wouldn't do something harmful when he got back.

Yeah I think they changed the imaging chamber after Gloria to keep Al's hormones under control, lol.

So Al can see Sam as Sam because in Nowhere to Run, in the scene where Sam is dressing to go out with Julie, he is holding a pair of pants and Al asks him what hes doing and Sam says
"I am wodering if I should roll up the cuffs?"
to which Al replies
"What difference does it make, I am the only one that can see the real you."