Book reviews

mstalanon

Project QL Intern
Apr 30, 2002
Independence, MO
Last Novel

Date: 02/19/2000

For starters I got the new Quantum Leap novel. It's not that great. Don't buy it if you want an answer to Mirror Image. It was an okay novel. The only redeeming parts are the discussion with Leaping and how it works, Donna's farewell address to Sam, and the flashbacks with Tom. It was too damn long. They could of cut out a third of it and it would of made a lot more sense. Halfway through, I just started reading things from Al's point of view. There's a major debate about a person not being able to leap into another (unsuitable hosts? That was never ever thought to be the case in the series.) It was okay.
====================
Just finished the new book.

Date: 02/19/2000

I just finished it about an hour ago. It is long 368 pages, but I like long books. I feel like I am getting my money's worth.

I will warn before I go into any could be spoilers.

I am not sure if I really liked it or not. It seemed to lack the "heart" that the series had. The characters don't seem to kept true. And there is this guy David at the project( he is mentioned in the 1st chapter, so not really a spoiler) I dont remember any David ever mentioned.

I guess I was just disappointed. With some of the inconsentices I am surprised it got published. Parts were good, and is was well written. It was more geared towards adults, and you have to be aware of what is going on around you to get some of it. That part was good.

Well this has gotten pretty long, if anyone wants some spoilers I will put them in a seperate post.
=======================

Article 44
QL:The Novel #1*?
Reply: An alright novel

Date: 07/17/1999

McConnell makes an excuse for the flagrant miscanon at the beginning of "Prelude," and this story depends on the fact that Sam's body doesn't leap.

With that being said, this novel is okay for one chief reason: It is "just a story." No messing around with character's personal lives, no trying to explain some contradictory canon, etc. Granted, this book likely written before most of the canon was established.

Post 30:

Thread Heading: ###

Date: 07/11/1999

Recently I purchased a few QL books and I thought I'd give you guys my opinion.

Odysey: Pretty good, some miscanon but that's okay. A few parts were excellent like when Al remembers his old friends from the orphanage. I give it a five out of ten.

Loch Ness Leap: Actually pretty good. It has Sammy Jo Fuller in it and has some good parts with PQL and alternate timelines. I would read it again. I give it a eight out of ten.

Independence: Fifty-fifty on originality. True leaping beyond Sam's lifetime is new, but not a shocker as "Leap Between the States." God awful opening. Major mistake on one of the early pages: Sam only saved Jackey Kennedy, not John. Pretty sad with the talks of incest and cold showers. I give it zero out of ten, I haven't the tolerance to finish the book.

Heatwave: Pretty good. Excellent mystery, however no curve to who the killer is. Good ending but loses some of its appeal for a second read once you know the answer to the mystery. I give it six out of ten.

Song and Dance: VERY far fetched. Not a great one. You can skip it, but it is a little dull if you read it. I give it three out of ten.

My favorite ones are Prelude and Foreknowledge. They are tied for first place in my opinion.

Reply 1: The best Ql BOOK

My Favorite QL book and likely best QL story entirely is PULITZER by Elizabeth Storm.

If your bookstore doesnt have it Special order it (shouldnt cost any extra) or get it from Amazon.com.

It takes place just after Al returned from Vietnam. Great book on friendship.

To appreciate the book more I would recommend seeing the following episodes although it is not necessary.
Star-Crossed
MIA
The Leap Home
Vietnam
The Leap Back

Reply 2: Pulitzer?

I didn't think it was that great. Too long, I think they should have cut out most of the reporter's side of things. I only read it once. I think most people on this board think it is the best of the lot but I don't think so.

Reply 3: Angels Unaware?
Date: 07/13/1999

Lazy 21-- Thanks for posting the reviews. If I want to get any QL books I'll have to go through quite a bit of hassel, so I appreciate hearing about the books beforhand, so I know if it's worth it or not.

Has anyone read Angels Unaware? I've had three people reccomend it to me, I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion. I know it's about little Theresa from Another Mother, and I loved that ep. I already read a fanfic about her future, but I assume Angels Unaware is better?

Kristi

Reply 4: Well
Date: 07/16/1999

I think I know what fanfic you mean. The one on Al-caholics right? Where the author say her ending is better than the book? I read "Angels Unaware" and thought it was okay. It wouldn't make a bad episode. It just isn't a favorite of mine. I give it six out of ten.

Article 494:
Mirror's Edge: New QL Book
Date: 02/16/2000
I just got the new book last night. YEA!!! What I have read so far is very good. Tom( Sam's Brother) is in it. The foreword in the book says it will be the last in the series.
If your local bookstore doesn't have it, make them order it.
It is cheaper than getting it off of Amazon.com
Bookstore w/tax $7.34
Amazon.com $9.99 (includes ship.)

Does anyone else have it??

Post 37:

Thread Heading: RE: ANGELS UNAWARE

Date: 07/13/1999

Kristi,
I've read Angels unaware and I believe it was a good book. It has Angela, the angel from an episode. Sam leaps into a priest and Al goes to talk to him but has trouble due to all the hard ship he has taken he has given up on the church and stuff. But it was really good. To have more of an appreciation you should watch " a leap of faith" but don't have to.

Winnie

Reply 1: Winnie

Date: 07/15/1999

Winnie--

Thanks for the review of Angels Unaware.

Kristi

Reply 2: I read that

Date: 09/15/2000

Hi Winnie18,

I am a new user, but I wanted to say that I loved the book Angels Unaware. It was one of the best. Did you know that it also reflects to the one show where Sam is a mother of three kids, an older buy, a middle girl (who is played by the same girl as Sam's sister when he goes home) and a younger girl. I can't remember the name of the episode right now, but Sam saves the boy from getting killed after he runs out from a girl's house where his friends embarassed him because he was a virgin. Anyways, the little girl, Theresa Bruckner, is the main character in the book. She refers to the angel she saw when she was little which was Al. It matches perfectly with the episode except the book seems to forget about the middle girl played by Sam's sister. Just thought I would see if you knew! Thanks for listening!