Top 25 Best Episodes of Quantum Leap

Grimlock

Project QL Intern
Nov 6, 2005
The Netherlands
Yeah, a bit much, but then again there are a lot of great Quantum Leap episodes.

I will update this thread every day or so.

Oh, and there are a few fan favourite episodes that (just) missed the cut. Which ones? Wait to find out.

Meanwhile, post your own best episodes (top 5 or top 10 will do, but more the merrier).

P.S. People who get upset very easily on moral and ethical issues should avoid my top 10 :lol ;)

5.jpg
12.jpg
18.jpg

STAND UP

A very funny episode, but with a melodramatic touch to it. Especially the dynamic between the three leads is great (and I'm not exactly a Bob Saget fan). An episode which is quite gloom actually sometimes, but with a great feel good factor to it.

Oh yeah Gotta love Stand up, loved Bob Saget's role, he was wonderful and I Kristen and I get a kick out of the beginning

Mac: So you're standing naked in front of a bush holding a sheep, and the cop says to you...

Sam: ah...oh boy?

lol.
We like to make a joke about Al teasing Sam for that by saying
"Nice Sam, oh I have one, have you heard the one about the genious-pants scientist that used 'oh boy' as the punchline!"

1.jpg
15.jpg
24.jpg

THE LEAP HOME, PART 1

Almost didn't make my list, but then I remembered that this episode contains some classic moments. Besides, it's Sam coming home! This episode for me represents Sam's homecoming best. When I watch this episode it also makes me wonder what becomes of his sister (at the end of the series). Tom is saved, but Katie? We will never know.

7.jpg
20.jpg
28.jpg

A LEAP FOR LISA

A great episode for Al to ponder over his younger years. I also loved the twist with the new hologram (I remember being shocked at the time!). A tiny dislike would be the ending (which would make the show about 'righting things that Sam did wrong in his leap'). All in all a good bridge episode (just like Season 2) to the next (great) season.

11.jpg
16.jpg
26.jpg

THE BEAST WITHIN

This is my favourite Vietnam episode of the whole series. It really felt that I, as an European, could feel what this war was all about. And the ending was also not done in a cliché way (redemption felt like far away during the episode). As for the 'monster', this was a light comedic touch to a very dark episode. And people still dare to say that the series lost it's way in Season 5:hmm

2.jpg
12.jpg
16.jpg

MISS DEEP SOUTH

One of my favourites and perhaps a bit low on this list (in retrospect). A good mix between drama and humor. Sam and Connie also have a great brother / sister chemistry going on between eachother. And the 'Katie' line at the end gets me everytime I watch this (don't tell anybody :eek: ).

Grimlock said:

MISS DEEP SOUTH

One of my favourites and perhaps a bit low on this list (in retrospect). A good mix between drama and humor. Sam and Connie also have a great brother / sister chemistry going on between eachother. And the 'Katie' line at the end gets me everytime I watch this (don't tell anybody :eek: ).

Sorry, but it is the Katie line at the end that makes this my LEAST favorite eppy. Shy self-effacing Sam would be mortified to have his sister see him as a beauty queen!
Just MHO, but hey, we're all entitled to one.

leaper1 said:
Shy self-effacing Sam would be mortified to have his sister see him as a beauty queen!

Uhhmm........He says that line because he is missing his sister! I thought that was obvious (we never did learn what became of her).

18.jpg

CAMIKAZI KID

This is one of the most personal episodes for Sam. He has to come to terms with the past and save Cheryl where he was unable to save his little sister. This episode also benefits from the period it is set it (the music and all) and the chemistry between the cast members.

leaper1 said:
Sorry, but it is the Katie line at the end that makes this my LEAST favorite eppy. Shy self-effacing Sam would be mortified to have his sister see him as a beauty queen!
Just MHO, but hey, we're all entitled to one.

grimlock said:
Uhhmm........He says that line because he is missing his sister! I thought that was obvious (we never did learn what became of her).

I agree with Helen I always think that when I hear that line which makes me laugh becasue I always think what a laugh that would give her seeing her brother as a beauty queen, hahaha! But actually I believe that he said that because Katie may have still been in Chuck's clutches when he won his nobel prize and thus she missed it. So now he's in another position where he has won a prize although a very different prize, so he wishes she were there to see him because he wants her there to see him win a prize. Just my opinion.>D

By the way, LOVE Camakazi Kid, Grimlock's next choice because its the first episode where we find out about Katie and her issue with Chuck and Sam got very emotional remembering it after Al told her that he needed to get Cheryl away from Bob. I love what a wonderful older brother he is:
"She was my sister, she IS my sister I should have known, I could have helped her, Maybe I could have saved her from a lot of pain."
awwww, I've always wanted an older brother just like Sam:dreaming

I also loved Jill, I love the tomboy personality and her crush on Cam was cute and how Sam was nice and gave her her first kiss for Cam. Sam was also very adorable as a kid that shares his Nerd status kind of hehe. He was adorable in Cam's slacks and plad shirt. speaking og his clothes LOVED the scene where he got pantsed.
"Wait he's not wearing any underwear!"
and Sam jerking his head down as in "What, i'm not wearing any underwear!?"

lol, and how he got hit a total of five times on that same arm that got hurt when he got pantsed. Poor Sam.

32.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg

RETURN / REVENGE OF THE EVIL LEAPER

Return deals with the trauma of a young man who has the 'Spider-man' syndroom. Revenge deals with the cruel world of prison for someone suffering from a very unfortunate illness. Oh, and there is something to do with evil leapers and stuff. Sam tries to save Alia from the prison called Lothos, but is he really succesful in the end? At any rate, due to the circumstances of Revenge his time spent with Alia was shortlived. Great adventure episodes (true sci-fi style), while maintaining the normal story arc underneath.

naggindragon said:
You may hate the reasons why the evil-leaper arc was created... but you gotta LOVE the episodes!

Yeppers, my feelings exactly. Hate the reason they came from but love them as charactors. Except the third one, I mean it's ok but I really didn't like the Idea of Zoey as a leaper.

16.jpg
17.jpg
22.jpg

PRIVATE DANCER

This is certainly one of the most touching episodes of the series. Seeing how this young woman gets through life every day taking into account her past and her predicted future. Sam also has the extra disability of her deafness, as she thinks that he isn't helping her out of pure kindness. Also great scenes with Al and Sam, with Al revealing a bit of his past and Sam teaching Al sign language.

Yay I love that episode, its up there on my list. I love the signs that we get to learn, I think Sign Language is sooo cool, and Dianna is such an amazing deaf woman. It was also a very different expirence for Sam to have to deal with someone who is hard of hearing and who knows perhaps it was for Scott as well because I believe the woman who protrayed Dianna really was hard of hearing.

1.jpg
5.jpg
8.jpg

JIMMY

The episode with the great Al moment. This is a real tester to see if someone has any emotions, as I can't believe that anybody had a dry eye watching that scene. A difficult subject handled with care and the leap which was most revisited in later episodes. Great performances allround.

That was my favorite episode, partly because of the episode, but partly of the reason that one of my best friends are retarded.
The first I heard of this episode, I thought it was having a kick at retarded people, but when I watched it, I realised it wasn't. I felt like giving that Blue character a smack, the way he treated Sam/Jimmy. I thought it was really cleverly written - all that deal about Blue having dyslexia.

Yeah SamBeckett94 when you find out that Blue is dislexic, that part always makes me want to tell him about this story my psyhc teacher told our class when I was a senior in HS. she showed us a sample of an old student with dislexia's handwriting, and it is horrid, you couldn't read a letter but the catch is, he happened to be the smartest student in that class. Cuz you know Blue was getting pissed at Sam because he thought he was indicating that he was stupid. I also have a good friend who's dislexic. And I have known a few retarted people in my time as well. In fact in elementary school, myself and a few other classmates used to walk down to a class of retarted and special needs students and we were assigned one student each week or maybe it was each day and we would walk them to lunch. Plus the friend with Dislexia I was telling you about, her brother is autsitic.

Last edited:
Sam Beckett Fan said:
*And you guys wouldn't consiter the thing about Blue a spoiler would you, I mean is it really a huge thing that is worth finding out for yourself?....well I decided to cencor it just in case because I dont want anyone in my face, but I personally wouldn't consiter that a spoiler. I will take it off once I get some imput*

Personally, I don't think we need spoiler warnings to discuss a 15-year-old show. I realize not everyone has seen all the episodes, but I think people should expect the show to be freely discussed on a board for an older show where many of the fans are very knowledgeable. And it is freely discussed most of the time--take The Leap Back and Trilogy, for example. Sammi Jo is a *big* spoiler, but she gets discussed all the time. No one complains. If we really had to put up spoiler warnings for every important plot point, it would be difficult even to have a discussion. So I don't worry about it.

There's just one episode that I wouldn't want to spoil. The *********. :hair

I really wouldn't want to know about that one in advance!

Sorry Snish but I discussed the end of Troian in Worst episode thread and someone got in my face about it and brian had my post edited to include the spoiler tag. I didn't want to make that mistake agian. but before that incident that's what I thought too.

3.jpg
20.jpg
24.jpg

ROBERTO!

Well, I have to admit that I was sceptical beforehand as the episode synopsis didn't catch my interest at all, but how wrong I was! While the episode does contain the Geraldo scenes, it's main focus is an aspiring young woman who gets herself too deep into a secret operation. Great casting coupled with a X-files vibe make for a very good episode.

Hey Grimlock, since you were interested in my least fav list I thought you might also like to see a list of some of my top favs.

1.) Temptation Eyes
2.) Nowhere to Run
3.) It's a Wonderful Leap (Please refrain from saying anything here, I already know you disagree with this one, so no need to repeat yourself)
4.) The Leap Back
5.) Private Dancer
6.) Deliver Us From Evil/Return of the Evil Leaper/Revenge of the Evil Leaper
7.) Double Identity (this episode will always be special to me as it was my first one)
8.) Leap Between the States
9.) MIA
10.) The Wrong Stuff (Funny too, you should have seen how reluctuant I was to even see this ep at all, and now look at what I think of it *see my post in it's review thread* haha)

There are a lot of episodes in the series that I enjoy A LOT I just wouldn't rate them as high as these particular episodes.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Hey Grimlock, since you were interested in my least fav list I thought you might also like to see a list of some of my top favs.

1.) Temptation Eyes
2.) Nowhere to Run
3.) It's a Wonderful Leap (Please refrain from saying anything here, I already know you disagree with this one, so no need to repeat yourself)
4.) The Leap Back
5.) Private Dancer
6.) Deliver Us From Evil/Return of the Evil Leaper/Revenge of the Evil Leaper
7.) Double Identity (this episode will always be special to me as it was my first one)
8.) Leap Between the States
9.) MIA
10.) The Wrong Stuff (Funny too, you should have seen how reluctuant I was to even see this ep at all, and now look at what I think of it *see my post in it's review thread* haha)

There are a lot of episodes in the series that I enjoy A LOT I just wouldn't rate them as high as these particular episodes.

Apart from 3 and 7 (an example for me of forced comedy) this looks like a good list to me (obviously nothing like my top ten, but then everybody has different taste). Heck, there might even be one or two episodes that will also feature in my list (from 15 to 1).

P.S. Everybody is invited to post their favourite (top 5 or top 10) episodes of Quantum Leap on this thread. And I wonder if someone can make a guess as to which episodes are still to come (on my own list).

10.jpg

PLAY IT AGAIN, SEYMOUR

Without a doubt the best period piece of the whole series. Though I'm not a particular fan of Claudia Christian, she did look smokin' in that outfit. And yes, I'm a big fan of the original (see the episode title). The acting was good and it's just one of the most entertaining episodes of the whole series.

4.jpg
12.jpg
15.jpg

A HUNTING WE WILL GO

With some distance the most funny episode of the series.
Great chemistry between the two leads. Diane Frost is one of the best realised characters in the QL universe. Oh, and how can you not love an episode which has Jane Sibbett chained to a bed in her underwear:dreaming

Haha, I love that episode, it's soo funny poor Sam, he gets so tortured by that woman, and any episode where Scott gets a shirtless scene is always worth watching:dreaming

My top ten list changes from time to time, at least after #1 and #2. Especially now that I can watch them uncut on DVD. Some make much more sense now that they haven't been "syndicut," and often I get more out of them because I put on the subtitles.

My top two are Shock Theatre and Lee Harvey Oswald (but if this were the Olympics, the gold and silver medals would only be separated by a tenth of a point). I have a soft spot for Crazy Out of Control Sam.

In no particular order (because I love almost all of the rest) the list would go:

The Colour of Truth
8 1/2 Months
Leap Home, Parts 1 & 2
So Help Me, God
Dance Before an Execution
Jimmy
MIA
The Wrong Stuff
The other Jimmy one (that introduces Alia - title escapes me right now)
Liberation
Leap Between the States