Comprehensive List of Music Changes?

W

wakkanne

Hi, I'm new to this board, but a fan of QL since 1992. I just learned of all the problems with the new release of season 2 and wanted to know if anyone has yet made some sort of comprehensive list of all the music changes. I know about Georgia in MIA, and that half the songs in Good Morning Peoria have been changed (how ironic is it that Sam is playing a 50s DJ fighting to preserve the right to play rock and roll music?), but how bad is it really? Could they get the rights to play the music from Man of La Mancha in Catch A Falling Star? Is Sam leading calisthenics to some random salsa rather than La Bamba in All-Americans? In MIA, when Sam says "I heard it through the grapevine," is there some other generic song about grapes or somehing on the radio in the background? I heard there were changes in Another Mother, too. I'm just wondering because as much as I still love Quantum Leap and as much as I'd love to have every single episode on DVD, I also want it complete if I'm going to shell out money for it and I'm seriously debating on whether or not to do it after what I've heard about it.

And then maybe someone could make MP3s available of the affected scenes from the original episodes, so that we can rip our own replacement discs.

I just compiled all of the TEA information that people had gathered from Seasons 1 & 2. The only thing is I haven't watched all of Season 2 yet, so I don't know every song that has been omitted; but I will try posting this list sometime tomorrow. All I'll say now is, there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to why certain songs are omitted in some instances and kept in others. In "Animal Frat," the frat guys are dancing and mouthing out the words to "Louie, Louie," but on the DVDs, since the song is omitted by some generic-sounding rock beat with no one singing, they are mouthing out to words that aren't heard. Looks incredibly stupid!

Look for this list within the next day or two. And if anyone can fill in the blanks (like artists who performed the songs), please feel free to add them. You can include this list on the DVD page, Brian.

Aw wow, awesome. Ya know, this is the kinda thing that I would be right on top of, but I can't even bear to shell out the money for the second season so that I could take on a project like this. It would just upset me everytime I watched an episode that was changed and ruin the enjoyment of it for me. As it was, I was watching one of my own copies of "Good Morning, Peoria" last night, trying to imagine it with half the songs removed... a sad thing...

On the comments about "Louie, Louie", that's just rediculous. And to think I imagined that if the characters were actually singing a song, that they wouldn't replace it (like Sam singing "Rock around the Clock" in "Good Morning, Peoria"... they kept that, didn't they?). I suppose they kept "Wild Thing" in "Animal Frat" though, right? Considering that was his nickname.

Okay, the list has been posted and stickied at the top of the DVD forum. If anyone can add to that, just post them here or on that topic, and I'll edit the list. I'm on Disc 3 now, so once I watch the remaining episodes, I'll listen for what songs are there and which ones aren't.

And yes, any song that Sam or another character directly refers to is intact. The difference with "Louie, Louie" is that no one is actually singing along to it... only moving their lips to the words, pretending they're singing along. And in "All-Americans," people are clearly doing the Twist, when in fact, "The Twist" is not playing in the background. This just boggles my mind that the people in charge of this DVD either were so dense, or actually thought that WE were so dense that we wouldn't notice. Just reiterates the old phrase, "If you want something done right, you've gotta do it yourself!" :rolleyes

Alright I'm not sure about something here. How does one go about the process of inserting the original songs on new burnt copies? I have the general idea, but these specific songs were playing at specific parts in the scenes so that the actors' dialogue works around certain lyrics. Therefore I would think it's a little more tricky to insert the correct songs from the computer onto the disc and getting them to play at just the right parts. And also, how can music be added to burnt copies without overlaping other sound like the actors' dialogue?

It's called 'Layering'

The original film and dialogue are the first layer, then anything that needs to be added, like background music is added as an extra layer, even Al as the hologram is filmed as an extra layer and maybe someone talking in the background.

These layers can be edited individually, the proper equipment is needed of course.

It's similar to the old 8 tracks, if anyone has been to a recording studio, lead guitar (or whatever) is recorded first followed by other instruments, and lastly it's usually the vocals, and all these layers are then 'arranged' so that they all fit perfectly together.