Autograph pass titles

manu

Project QL Intern
Just wanted to query that when you purchase your pass, the drop down menu for your title contains 'Mrs', 'Ms' as well as 'prof', 'dr' etc but not 'Miss' - why is that? Just wondered what is wrong with the term 'Miss' - I AM a miss & would much prefer to use that term than 'Ms' which a lot of English people actually find quite offensive - I know it's a word I & the other's travelling with me that have been forced to use this term hate?! I was extremley tempted to pick 'dr' or 'prof' in order to avoid this!

I think that in the UK Ms is normally used for a divorced woman, but not certain of that.
As for it being offensive, Im not sure why because i dont find it offensive, but given the choice i would put Miss.

Me too.

How else will all the men know that I am single and don't come with any baggage.

In Australia, Ms is used by divorcees, single mums and spinsters too ashamed/embarrased to admit they have never been married. I don't fit any of those categories and prefer Miss.

Ms. in the US is the same as Miss, but not to worry - neither will be printed on your name badge/ticket. It'll just be your name. :)

Just curious, why is Ms. offensive to some?

'Ms' in the UK is traditionally used by divorcees, more recently as riz768 states is the case in Australia, it is used by women who wish to be ambiguous about their status.
Many would say 'Ms' is a more recent or even 'trendy' term but it's actually been in use since Victorian times when it's was used for 'mistress' (and if people refered to me as that they'd almost certainly recieve a slap!)
Some many say that it's old fashioned to stick to 'Miss', I prefer to believe I'm 'traditional' & agree with the 'Times' & the 'Guardian' (UK broadsheet newspapers) view on this. The Times states 'Ms is nowadays fully acceptable when a woman wants to be called thus' & both would agree that it's a random term that could be percieved as 'lazy'
I also find the very sound of the word vulgar to the ear & am not alone in this view.
Glad it won't be shown on my badge although I can't say it was a 'worry', I simply wouldn't respond!

Some many say that it's old fashioned to stick to 'Miss', I prefer to believe I'm 'traditional' & agree with the 'Times' & the 'Guardian' (UK broadsheet newspapers) view on this. The Times states 'Ms is nowadays fully acceptable when a woman wants to be called thus' & both would agree that it's a random term that could be percieved as 'lazy'

Then is it lazy to call a man "Mr." and not have three separate terms to tell us his marital status?

I really don't get it. "Ms." was intended to replace both Mrs. and Miss and be used for every woman, but it ended up as a third term. So its intent failed. To me it seems convenient as it's intended to cover all bases. Then, for instance, you never make a mistake when addressing a stranger. Instead, it offends nearly everyone! Personally, I prefer it. If anyone wants to know if I'm single or have baggage, they can ask me. (Or they can look at my wedding ring--still traditional in that respect, I guess. But then my husband wears one too.)

Fortunately, the titles aren't used very much in the US. No one ever calls me "Mrs." (Or "Ms.") I guess you never know when you're going to run up against a cultural difference that offends someone, but I don't think these autograph passes are all that important, are they? Could you write in "Miss" if it matters to you?