English Help

Sherlock's Sparrow

Project QL Intern
Oct 24, 2006
USA
www.myspace.com
I have to write a six to eight page essay on some aspect of media/pop culture in America and relate it to American society as a whole. One student said he was doing Saturday Night Live. I can't think of what subject to write about. I have a short list of ideas. Can anyone here help me with my topic, please?

Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, and Lindsey Lohan as symbolically representative of the downward spiral of American society's mores and ethics. ;)

I was going to mention the death of Anna Nicole Smith along the same lines. Girls behaving badly has certainly been a big topic in the media lately.

If it were me, I'd be asking, why girls and not boys? But that's just me.

Ideas

I've got to admit...Jennie's idea is great...but on the off chance you want something different...

1. Video Games and their effect on the culture in America
2. Cell Phone and Text Messaging and how that has changed the way we do things.
3. Television (you can argue just about anything from that standpoint...there is the use of children's programming in fostering education, the use of marketing in television, the move towards reality television and the desire of the everyman for their 15 minutes of fame, and SOOOO many others.)
4. Branding and the American obsession with being seen in the "right" clothing, drinking the "right" beverage, or other branding issue.
5. Media effects on human health issues (fast food, anorexia/bulimia and other eating disorders on the rise due to media protrayals, etc.)

Pretty much...sounds like the world is your oyster...find something you feel passion about and write it.

Six to eight pages on... Anna Nicole. Do not a good allegory for American culture make.

I'd say your best bet would be to focus on the media itself, pertaining mainly to the fact that it's election season. As always, Fox news networks are a great place to start. Further dumbing down the news with celluloid gossip, the classic human interest angle to gain the audience's trust, blending journalism and constant POV editorial and fear mongering have a clear consequence both on society and as a general allegory for the state of American interests, education and lifestyle.

McDuck said:
Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, and Lindsey Lohan as symbolically representative of the downward spiral of American society's mores and ethics. ;)

Or, as I call each of them: No class, no talent and no underwear.

Thanks for all the ideas. One of my own that I've come up with recently but not completely sure I want to do is the tv show Ugly Betty and how image is everything to some people-like the staff at fictional MODE magazine. I also would like to do something QL related, but not sure what.

I've just got approval yesterday for my topic. I'm going to use examples from Hannah Montana, Ugly Betty, and Quantum Leap to discuss how people need to look below the surface and not be so superficial, because appearances aren't always what they appear to be. Thanks for the ideas, guys!:hurray: