Dr. Samuel (Sam) Beckett - Project Creator & Leaper

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Dr. Samuel (Sam) Beckett - Project Creator & Leaper

Sam (Dr. Samuel Beckett)

leapback_samcontrol.jpg

No relation to the playwright. Social Security number 563-86-9801, Department of Defense Umbra top-secret clearance 004-002-02-016. Born August 8, 1953 and grew up on his family's dairy farm in Elk Ridge, Indiana. As a child, he had two cats, named Donner and Blitzen, but never had a dog. He could read at age 2, do advanced calculus in his head at 5, went to MIT at age 15 (or maybe 17), graduating 2 years later, and has 6 (maybe 7) doctorates including music, medicine, quantum physics, and ancient languages, but NOT psychiatry or law.

He speaks 7 modern languages including English, Japanese, French, Spanish and German, but not Italian or Hebrew and 4 dead ones (he can read Egyptian hieroglyphics). He has a Nobel Prize, field unspecified, but probably for physics. For this, Time magazine called him "the next Einstein".

He played the piano at Carnegie Hall at 19, plays guitar, is a good dancer, and sings tenor (his favorite song is John Lennon's "Imagine"). He has a photographic memory, can cook, and likes dry or light beer and microwave popcorn. Sam also knows several kinds of martial arts and has been afraid of heights since he was 9 years old. He was originally engaged once, but was stood up at the altar. An accident occurred during a leap in the middle of a lightning storm which caused Sam and Al to temporarily change places. At this time, he discovered he was NOT stood up at the altar and that he was in fact married to his greatest love, Dr. Donna Alessi. This was no doubt due to events in a prior leap where he was able to alter her life in such a way that she was able to commit to marriage with him.

Sam's older brother Tom, a good athlete, All-State basketball player, Annapolis grad and Navy SEAL (who convinced Sam to go to MIT) died in Vietnam, on April 8, 1970. However, Sam managed to save him on one leap. Sam's dad, John Samuel Beckett, died in 1974 (or maybe 1972, or maybe 1973) of a heart attack. He has one sister named Katie (Katherine), born during a flood in 1957, whose first husband was an abusive alcoholic named Chuck (Unless maybe Sam convinced her not to marry him. Who knows?). Now she's married to a Navy officer, Lt. Jim Bonnick, and lives in Hawaii with their mom, Thelma Louise Beckett.

Re: Sam Beckett

Written by Donald P. Bellisario
Weird Ernie: "August 8, 19.........53? Well that's a typo. He means 1923."
Also by Weird Ernie: "When feeling lonely I rent a video and microwave some popcorn. What? This is gibberish!"

Dr. Berger: "Very creative gibberish. Captain Stratton answered every question as if he were born in '53 and lived in the future."

The pilot episode is one of my top 5 fave eps of all time! BTW, Brian great addition to the board. :)

Steve
RossBeckett

Dr. Donna Alessi
This is the spelling that is used in "Obsessions" and it drives me nuts!! The spelling that appears in "The Leap Home" script is "Elesee", although I have always spelled it "Eleese". :eek: It is a much-debated name, which is a strange re-occurence in QL... thank goodness Sam has an easy name to spell. :lol

Oh, wait... they misspelled it in "Mirror Image". >: There goes that theory. ;)

... Mike. ^_^

So, just to throw a topic out for discussion?

How do you think having Tom back would affect Sam in his formative years, since he lost Tom originally at the crucial age of 16?

> Re: Sam Beckett

Hm...good question. Well, I don't think that it would have any effect on "our" Sam at all, because of the parallel universe theory. There was an episode (the title escapes my unreliable memory at the moment) where Sam says something along the lines of, "I lost a brother...but I got him back." For the general audience, we're led to believe that Sam doesn't really remember because of being swiss-cheesed, but I think he doesn't remember because he still never grew up with Tom alive and is only referring to his leap to Vietnam.

With that being said, for every version of Sam who grew up in the new history with Tom alive, I think he and the family would have had a welcome home celebration when Tom came back. I think Sam definitely would have grown up happier, being close to Tom for a few more years before eventually drifting apart from him once Sam became somewhat of a semi-celebrity. His work as a physicist and his ambition would have caused him to not have much contact with his family by a certain point. I'm sure that occasionally Sam would visit his family and spend some time with them though, especially if he never became trapped in time.

thank goodness Sam has an easy name to spell. :lol

Oh, wait... they misspelled it in "Mirror Image". >: There goes that theory. ;)

Actually, your theory stands. The only time Beckett is misspelled in MI is in the syndicut. In the original airing, it was spelled correctly with two T's.

Joy

I often wonder how having Tom in his life would have affected Sam's impetus to Leap, but then again, he still lost his father, and I still think Tom, who appeared to be Sam's biggest cheerleader, would have pushed him on to bigger and better things all the while. There wouldn't necessarily have been quite the same melancholy to Sam's initial (private and unspoken) desire to time travel, but the desire would still be there. I think we can judge that from his letter to Captain Galaxy. :)

> Re: Sam Beckett

I think that by now having Tom in his life, this would only further encourage Sam to follow the same path he did in the original history. After all, he changed history in "The Leap Home Part II: Vietnam" and was still leaping around with Tom alive, so he had to have done things the same way or very similar. Perhaps the only difference in the new history would be the reasons why Sam had his ambition. In the original history he wanted to "make the world a better place"; the desire of which could have been a result of his brother's death.

He might have harbored a feeling of regret that his brother didn't have to die, which might have remained in his subconscious through the years. Although his father died as well and his younger sister married an abusive alcoholic, this apparent chain reaction began with Tom, and I think his death hit Sam the hardest, being that he felt closest to him.

With Tom alive, he would push Sam to be the best he could be, which I suspect would have helped to boost Sam's confidence a little earlier in life. (Very similar to how Sam explained his String Theory to Mo Stein which resulted in teaching his own theory to himself earlier as a child.) As Tom himself said, "A brain like Sam's comes along once in a generation..." or something to that effect. So in my opinion, Sam's time-traveling was destined to happen no matter what.

Re: > Re: Sam Beckett

Absolutely, I agree Sam is destined to time travel no matter what.

With Tom so fully behind him, and I do believe Tom was always Sam's biggest cheerleader, I agree also that Sam would have developed as a much more sure of himself and confident person.

I wonder, though, now as the thought strikes me....if Tom would have continued to have to try to push Sam in different areas as he seemed to want to follow so in his big brother's footsteps? Sam idealized and idolized Tom, and I don't believe that changed in either timeline.

I think the Sam with Tom is a much less melancholy one.

I have to ask if Sam saved his bother in his leap to VM why do I have some kinds of memory that Al tells Sam that his bother gone? I have to go look but I think its in the 3rd Season. But then I could be wrong. I hope I am infact!

So then I thought what about him family how does it effect them? just a thought.

-Julie

Sam's astrology

Sam is a Leo, and possesses many of the qualities normally attributed to this sign, but at the moment I want to share something I just discovered while researching for my current fanfic story.

Sam was born in the Chinese year of the Snake!
Here is what it says about Snakes:
snake

Diplomatic and popular, the Snake has the sensual art of seduction down. This Sign is an interesting mix of gregariousness paired with introversion, intuitive reasoning paired with savvy business skills. Snakes are considered to be lucky with money and will generally have more than enough to live life to the fullest, regardless of how important it considers money to be; this may be due to the fact that Snakes tend to be rather tight with cash. They're not stingy, they're simply more mentally than physically active. Snakes tend to hang back a bit in order to analyze a situation before jumping into it. Their charming, seductive quality actually belies a rather retiring nature; this Sign is perfectly happy to spend the whole day curled up with a good book and, thus, can be mislabeled as being lazy.

The Snake is somewhat insecure deep down and tend to be a rather jealous, possessive lover, behavior that can end up alienating loved ones. Despite these less-than-stellar tendencies, however, the Snake often proves irresistible and is a generous, loving partner.. Slightly dangerous and disarmingly smart, the Snake's philosophical and intuitive mind generally supersedes logic in favor of feelings and instinct. Snakes will rely on their own gut reactions and intuitions before turning to others for suggestions. This makes this Sign a great hand in any business venture, possessing the caution and smarts needed to get ahead.

Snakes are hard workers (when they see good reason to be!) and are possessed of a keen intelligence. Snakes have incredible follow-through, once they get going, and they expect the same from others. Thus, their coworkers and employees had best stay on their toes, lest they anger the Snake and suffer its poisonous bite!

In general, of course, Snakes are generous and genteel, charming and appealing. Snakes must try to learn humility and to develop a stronger sense of self. Once Snakes realize that confidence comes from within, they will finally be comfortable in their own skin.

What do you think? Does this fit our hero?

leaper1 said:
Sam is a Leo, and possesses many of the qualities normally attributed to this sign, but at the moment I want to share something I just discovered while researching for my current fanfic story.

Sam was born in the Chinese year of the Snake!
Here is what it says about Snakes:
snake

Diplomatic and popular, the Snake has the sensual art of seduction down. This Sign is an interesting mix of gregariousness paired with introversion, intuitive reasoning paired with savvy business skills. Snakes are considered to be lucky with money and will generally have more than enough to live life to the fullest, regardless of how important it considers money to be; this may be due to the fact that Snakes tend to be rather tight with cash. They're not stingy, they're simply more mentally than physically active. Snakes tend to hang back a bit in order to analyze a situation before jumping into it. Their charming, seductive quality actually belies a rather retiring nature; this Sign is perfectly happy to spend the whole day curled up with a good book and, thus, can be mislabeled as being lazy.

The Snake is somewhat insecure deep down and tend to be a rather jealous, possessive lover, behavior that can end up alienating loved ones. Despite these less-than-stellar tendencies, however, the Snake often proves irresistible and is a generous, loving partner.. Slightly dangerous and disarmingly smart, the Snake's philosophical and intuitive mind generally supersedes logic in favor of feelings and instinct. Snakes will rely on their own gut reactions and intuitions before turning to others for suggestions. This makes this Sign a great hand in any business venture, possessing the caution and smarts needed to get ahead.

Snakes are hard workers (when they see good reason to be!) and are possessed of a keen intelligence. Snakes have incredible follow-through, once they get going, and they expect the same from others. Thus, their coworkers and employees had best stay on their toes, lest they anger the Snake and suffer its poisonous bite!

In general, of course, Snakes are generous and genteel, charming and appealing. Snakes must try to learn humility and to develop a stronger sense of self. Once Snakes realize that confidence comes from within, they will finally be comfortable in their own skin.

What do you think? Does this fit our hero?

Wow! That describes Sam so well it's almost scary! :hair LOL.

jmellissa said:
I have to ask if Sam saved his bother in his leap to VM why do I have some kinds of memory that Al tells Sam that his bother gone? I have to go look but I think its in the 3rd Season. But then I could be wrong. I hope I am infact!

So then I thought what about him family how does it effect them? just a thought.

-Julie

Well, Julie, you are correct in your hopes. You are wrong. Al does mention that Tom is gone but that was in the 2nd season before The Leap Home. After Sam saved Tom, there really isn't much said about Tom. However, it is indicated in "Promised Land" that Tom was there when their father died whereas Sam wasn't.

Kat

I have to wounder why Sam didn't/couldn't safe his father if you could safe his bother?
and then I thought maybe because he did safe his bother they didn't believe him and so his dad didn't eat right ect. It's just sad to think that Sam was putting right what once went worng in other people's lifes but G/T/W wouldn't let him...I guess that is what could be said...right?? Julie

asearcher said:
Didn't Sam's father die at the same time regardless of the storyline (when Tom died or when Sam saved him)? If that's the case, it may not have been something that Sam would have had any bearing on. I don't know what all the specifics were about his Dad's death. Someone remind me?

I don't think thats ever really established. The last I remembered hearing was in "The Leap Home" when Al is telling Sam that his attempts to save his family aren't working. "Tom still dies in Vietnam, your father still dies in 1971(?), and Katie still marries Chuck." (Forgive misquotes, hehe). I can't recall any updates for lack of a better word about Sam's father after he saved Tom, so I assume that he still had a coronary and died. Thats what I think...

Samantha Beckett

I think his dad dies of a Corinary. And the date of death didn't change either. I remember a line of Al's that went something like this. "Sam, you're not changing anything. Your father still dies in '72, Tom still gets killed in Vietnam and Katie still marries Chuck. You're not changing their future Sam, all you're doing is making their present miserable."

Al's Handlink said:
I think his dad dies of a Corinary. And the date of death didn't change either. I remember a line of Al's that went something like this. "Sam, you're not changing anything. Your father still dies in '72, Tom still gets killed in Vietnam and Katie still marries Chuck. You're not changing their future Sam, all you're doing is making their present miserable."

Yeah, and that was before Sam saves Tom in Vietnam, and nothing to the contrary about his father or his sister is said after Tom is saved, so it's safe to assume that only Tom's life was changed. :)

Samantha Beckett

Re: Sam saving his Dad

asearcher said:
....I think that's sort of what the phone call represented to Sam in the pilot. Even though he couldn't tell his Dad directly that he was Sam, he did get to say some things he hadn't told his Dad before he died.

Best advice to any of you out there...say what you have to say NOW to your loved ones because later it may be impossible.

Amen!

Eleiece

asearcher said:
Then based on the limited information I'd say that there was no way for Sam to have saved his Dad. Heart disease is generally a long-term chronic condition. Rarely there are issues that are caused by structural or hidden weaknesses that can be diagnosed and addressed quickly, but overall, it is long term. It doesn't seem like John Beckett was in the market for any long-term changes. Thus, without those life style changes, I think his death from coronary disease was inevitable.

I would agree. Although Sam has had similar challenges to this on other leaps and was successful, this time, due to Sam's mission being to win the basketball game, he was at a point in time that was years too late to save his dad. I think his only hope would have been to convince him at a point in his life before he developed these bad habits. And even then, it would have been an uphill battle.

Cpt Jules said:
Well, Julie, you are correct in your hopes. You are wrong. Al does mention that Tom is gone but that was in the 2nd season before The Leap Home.

Kat

Kat's right. The first time that Tom is spoken of between Sam and Al is in the 2nd Season. The specific episode in which Sam simultaneously learned that he had a brother and that his brother had died was Disco Inferno. One of my favorite lines from that episode is spoken by Al during that bittersweet conversation:

Al: "Yeah. He died in Vietnam. (brief pause) That was one part of your memory I was hoping you wouldn't get back."

-------
Eleiece

Sherdran said:
Kat's right. The first time that Tom is spoken of between Sam and Al is in the 2nd Season. The specific episode in which Sam simultaneously learned that he had a brother and that his brother had died was Disco Inferno. One of my favorite lines from that episode is spoken by Al during that bittersweet conversation:

Al: "Yeah. He died in Vietnam. (brief pause) That was one part of your memory I was hoping you wouldn't get back."

-------
Eleiece

Yeah, that part was real sad and heart tugging. Especially at the end when Al shows Sam the picture from when Sam and Tom were younger. Sam grabs for it, and of course, he cant hold it...

AL: I'll just hold onto this until you come back.

Or something close to that, I'm working on my instant recall of QL quotes, lol. It's a scene that makes you go, "awww", and want to hug him because he looks so sad!

Samantha Beckett

On a less serious note, there's something mentioned in Genesis that I've always wondered about. When reading over Sam's answers for Ernie's test, he mentioned that Sam had been expelled from college for streaking. This has always fascinated me; what would motivate a serious student like Sam to streak? And what kind of teacher would dare to expel him?

Do they ever mention this anywhere else?

LadyKayoss said:
On a less serious note, there's something mentioned in Genesis that I've always wondered about. When reading over Sam's answers for Ernie's test, he mentioned that Sam had been expelled from college for streaking. This has always fascinated me; what would motivate a serious student like Sam to streak? And what kind of teacher would dare to expel him?

Do they ever mention this anywhere else?

My theory on this was that Al helped Sam with those answers and was either having fun messing with his boy scout buddy's Swiss cheese memory, or basing it on his own (ie Al's) personal experience. Probably the former though, on reflection, as Al would have been a bit old to have got caught up in the streaking craze.
A shame, as I'd have loved to use the idea in a story of Al streaking while at the orphanage, and the nuns being scandalised!

LOL! I can see that too! *has mental image of a naked Al running across the stage area of the sanctuary while the priest is giving mass*

We've talked about this on another thread some time back...i agree with Helen's theory about Al helping Sam with the questionaire. I know whenever I have to do some of those, i cant help but answer some sarcastically. Especially ones I dont know for sure...i'd give some ludicrous answers.

Samantha Beckett

*sighs* There goes that beautiful fantasy.

Ahem... Seriously, I love the idea of young Al streaking, to the horror of the nuns. I wouldn't put anything past him!

I had wondered if it was an actual incident in Sam's life, though, because in one of the novels, Sam actually refers briefly to the streak and the expulsion, so I assumed it was mentioned somewhere else in the show.

I loved it in the Leap Home 1, when Sam turns around and there is his little sister and he picks her up with a big bear hug. I loved that!:hurray:

laestrella said:
well sam does sleep in the nude as established in leaping without a net...(my mind is now wandering...)

Your mind isn't the only one... That was one of my favorite moments in the episode. Mmmm...