Addison

Sam Beckett Fan

Re-Writing Life
Jun 3, 2005
medium.com
In the fall finale, Ben remembers his motive for working with Janis and leaping behind the projects' backs; to save Addison.
I was a bit more of a fan of the suggestion that Janis was using an unwitting Ben for her own agenda to find Sam, but I am still open to this.

I'm starting to piece some things together into a theory. Could Sam still be part of the equation (no pun intended)?

Addison's character development has been minute and obscured thus far and I am wondering if there is a reason for that.
When Ben questions Addison's relationship with her parents in the earthquake episode she's evasive, giving the answer: "It's complicated" and I don't believe her last name has ever been revealed though names can be changed.

Could Addison be Sam's daughter? Perhaps even be Sammy Jo with a name change though I would place more of a bet on Donna, or some other relationship he created at the project whilst leaping (and perhaps even overwrote Sammy-Jo with Addison because we know he has undone relationships and lives) because I think she mentions growing up with her parents in the military and QL is a military project.
Now that I think about it, she does kind of resemble Sam on a physical level and has medical knowledge.
The name Addison itself means 'Son of Adam' which could be symbolic because as Adam was the first man, Sam was the first time traveler/the first leaper.

Addison has also revealed that her and Ben's roles had been intended to be reversed. She was meant to be the leaper and Ben the hologram. Could Addison have wanted to be the leaper to search for her father? Could Ben have perhaps wanted to save her by switching fates with her considering his own loss trauma or perhaps undo some of her trauma by finding the missing time traveler?

All right let's be real, those last suggestions are doubtful, but I think there could be a bit of merit in her being Sam's daughter.

Last edited:
My theory has been that Addison is Sammy Jo's daughter. I mean, that chin so came from Sam in some way! LOL And her age fits well for being SJ's offspring. And that surname... Augustine? That reads SO Southern to me.

Based purely on estimates episode 2 of the Trilogy was in 1966 when Sammy Jo was conceived so that would have made her 33yrs old in the year 1999 when she was working at QL HQ.

It's possible Sammy Jo could have had a relationship and been pregnant to conceive Addison anytime up to 1999 so that would put Addisons age in 2022 somewhere in her late twenties and early thirties?

It's possible Addison could be Sammy Jos daughter but as we are discovering each week with this series there are cliffhangers galore at every opportunity.

I never thought about Addison in that way. It makes a lot of sense and would involve Sammy Jo's story. If this happens to be true id be all for that. Al did say Sammie Jo works with them at the project and she has a theory on how to bring him home. Maybe because the New Mexico project got shut down Sammy Jo was never able to test her theory much less go through with it. Fast Forward to present day it would make so much sense that Addison is with the current project and was supposed to be the leaper. I am very into this theory.

My theory has been that Addison is Sammy Jo's daughter. I mean, that chin so came from Sam in some way! LOL And her age fits well for being SJ's offspring. And that surname... Augustine? That reads SO Southern to me.

That's not a bad thought, it does work.
So Addison's surname has been revealed, I must have missed it. Augustine does sound a bit southern.

I could get behind the idea of her being related to Sami Jo. Or them bringing in Sami Jo in um any other way (that isn't awful) as long as they bring in Sami Jo

In the fall finale, Ben remembers his motive for working with Janis and leaping behind the projects' backs; to save Addison.
I was a bit more of a fan of the suggestion that Janis was using an unwitting Ben for her own agenda to find Sam, but I am still open to this.

I'm starting to piece some things together into a theory. Could Sam still be part of the equation (no pun intended)?

Addison's character development has been minute and obscured thus far and I am wondering if there is a reason for that.
When Ben questions Addison's relationship with her parents in the earthquake episode she's evasive, giving the answer: "It's complicated" and I don't believe her last name has ever been revealed though names can be changed.

Could Addison be Sam's daughter? Perhaps even be Sammy Jo with a name change though I would place more of a bet on Donna, or some other relationship he created at the project whilst leaping (and perhaps even overwrote Sammy-Jo with Addison because we know he has undone relationships and lives) because I think she mentions growing up with her parents in the military and QL is a military project.
Now that I think about it, she does kind of resemble Sam on a physical level and has medical knowledge.
The name Addison itself means 'Son of Adam' which could be symbolic because as Adam was the first man, Sam was the first time traveler/the first leaper.

Addison has also revealed that her and Ben's roles had been intended to be reversed. She was meant to be the leaper and Ben the hologram. Could Addison have wanted to be the leaper to search for her father? Could Ben have perhaps wanted to save her by switching fates with her considering his own loss trauma or perhaps undo some of her trauma by finding the missing time traveler?

All right let's be real, those last suggestions are doubtful, but I think there could be a bit of merit in her being Sam's daughter.

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
Originally the pilot was going to have a cameo from Sam, helping Janis. So I expect that somewhere down the track, we'll find out that Ben acted because of Sam's intervention...

Rather disappointing so far that no call back or mention has been made of Sammy-Jo or even Donna herself. These were 2 major characters in the original project who had a detailed knowledge of its tech and temporal goings on and of course their connection to Sam.

The only connection to them both would be Ernie Hudson as he kept in touch with Beth as shown in an earlier episode so Donna would be a natural contact too you would think.

Perhaps it's a plot ploy to come leading up to finale.

Originally the pilot was going to have a cameo from Sam, helping Janis. So I expect that somewhere down the track, we'll find out that Ben acted because of Sam's intervention...

That's intriguing, how would Sam have helped Janis while lost out in time?

Rather disappointing so far that no call back or mention has been made of Sammy-Jo or even Donna herself. These were 2 major characters in the original project who had a detailed knowledge of its tech and temporal goings on and of course their connection to Sam.

The only connection to them both would be Ernie Hudson as he kept in touch with Beth as shown in an earlier episode so Donna would be a natural contact too you would think.

Perhaps it's a plot ploy to come leading up to finale.

I would love for them to at least receive mentions but when dealing with quanta the absence thereof can be valid in Donna's case in particular.

Donna was written in by Sam's interventions and flimsily so (one visit with her father changing her fear of marriage is reaching) therefore could have been unwritten which Deberah Pratt seemed to prefer in favor of the Trilogy because she did not like 'The Leap Back'.

I believe there is a novel that explores how Al experiences the timelines in Sam's present in constant flux and Donna is not in all of them, there are even some in which Sam is married to different women.

I would love to see Donna though and find out how she's doing and I'd love to see Tom as well since Magic is a main character.