Genesis

britishbecca

Project QL Intern
Nov 21, 2005
London
Re-watching 'Genesis'...

And a thought occurs... the opening sequence flying through the clouds and then down to the Stratton house... is that meant to be Sam's POV of the leap?

Another thought... that was Tina that Al picked up on the side of the road, was it? But... I thought Sam knew Tina. How could he if Al picked her up as he was leaping? Am I getting confused? Probably.

Plus... it just hit me that Bruce McGill was D-Day in 'Animal House'. I knew I knew him from some great movie... it was seriously driving me crazy...

And a thought occurs... the opening sequence flying through the clouds and then down to the Stratton house... is that meant to be Sam's POV of the leap?

That has always been the way I looked at it

Another thought... that was Tina that Al picked up on the side of the road, was it? But... I thought Sam knew Tina. How could he if Al picked her up as he was leaping? Am I getting confused? Probably.

I always just assumed that it was just some random woman. But there is always the possibility that it was some kind of staged foreplay

Plus... it just hit me that Bruce McGill was D-Day in 'Animal House'. I knew I knew him from some great movie... it was seriously driving me crazy...

Bruce McGill has been in a ton of great movies., For instance, The Legend of Bagger Vance, Time Cop, and, My Cousin Vinny

Al's Handlink said:
That has always been the way I looked at it

I always just assumed that it was just some random woman. But there is always the possibility that it was some kind of staged foreplay

Bruce McGill has been in a ton of great movies., For instance, The Legend of Bagger Vance, Time Cop, and, My Cousin Vinny

yeah it is Sam's POV of the leap, you can tell if you read the book, and as for the woman Al picked up, i always thought it was Tina until i learned more about her, and that sam knew her, so now my thoughts are against it. and you know how Al wants to do whatever possible with every woman he sees.

I'd say that woman probably wasn't Tina. We all know that Al and Tina slept around. My opinion is that it was just some random woman.

Well, Al met Tina at a poker table in Vegas so if it was Tina on the side of the road it was a "play out of a fantasy" deal, not the initial meeting.

The clouds and soaring through the sky thing I think is just the POV when Sam/Tom/Al was in the jet. The books were based upon the series and the authors were prolly just using that as their interpretation of what Sam goes thru mid-leap.

Samantha Beckett

Well, I used to think she was just some random nameless woman too, but this is what I've been told (or read on the site somewhere):

The woman Al picks up on the side of the road is named Tina (it even lists the name in the ending credits), but she is not the Tina. The Tina from "Genesis" and Pulse Communications Technician Tina are supposedly two different women... at least, that's what I've been told...

Damon

Dman176 said:
Well, I used to think she was just some random nameless woman too, but this is what I've been told (or read on the site somewhere):

The woman Al picks up on the side of the road is named Tina (it even lists the name in the ending credits), but she is not the Tina. The Tina from "Genesis" and Pulse Communications Technician Tina are supposedly two different women... at least, that's what I've been told...

Damon

yeah i noticed that as well from the credits, so it's still the pulse communications technition Tina that Al talks about constantly, right?

SamBeckettfann said:
yeah i noticed that as well from the credits, so it's still the pulse communications technition Tina that Al talks about constantly, right?
Yup. :) That woman from the side of the road (if she was named Tina) was strictly a one-night stand for that episode only. When Al showed up during Sam's fishing trip and said, "I should've stayed in bed with Tina," it's assumed he must have been talking about the woman he picked up (although since I didn't see the pilot until QL went into syndication, I had just assumed that Al was referring to Project Tina, because her name was always mentioned in most of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th season episodes I had already seen).

Damon

britishbecca said:

Yes, it is to symbolize Sam's journey across time and into the past. Although I think the real reason was to create an elaborate time-travel sequence to make up for the lack of special effects in Season 1. (You'll notice the lousy leaping effects all throughout the first season.) That's why once "What Price Gloria?" airs, all of a sudden the Imaging Chamber door is different and the leaps look the way we're used to. New season, bigger budget.

Watched Genesis again Last Night

First time in a few years.

Anyways...one of the things I noticed was when Sam called home. He, of course, tells his Dad he's his Dad's cousin through his Dad's Uncle John. His Dad indicates that Uncle John moved to Australia when he was a little kid and obviously they haven't kept in touch. However, at the end of the conversation, his Dad tells Sam (still on the farm) that his cousin may be coming by for Thanksgiving.

A few things...they don't have Thanksgiving in Australia (or at least not the same as we have it here although it is possible that since John moved to Australia from the US, he might still celebrate it. Seems a stretch but you never know. The second thing about this is...while Sam knew his immediate family, didn't the Leap Between the States show he wasn't real "up" on family history? So the only reason I could see that he would even know that his grandfather had a brother named John would be from possibly seeing a genealogical charts to reading it in the family Bible. Now after he leaps (and therefore after the phone call), when the timeline plays out again, would Sam remember his "cousin" calling and talking to his Dad when HE was younger? It's an interesting loop.

Also...which college did he get expelled from (for streaking)? Was he reinstated or did he go to another college after that?

I also thought it was interesting that thing that (paraphasing) was great about high school was the mini-skirts and the most difficult was pantyhose. Sam must have had a bit more activity in high school than are usually attributed to him in fanfic stories!

One of the other things I thought was really strange was the use of the term boogiem*n in Genesis. Now that we have the entire series played out it, of course, reminded me of that OTHER leap where there really was a boogiem*n!

Those are a few of the things I noted last night.

asearcher said:
A few things...they don't have Thanksgiving in Australia (or at least not the same as we have it here although it is possible that since John moved to Australia from the US, he might still celebrate it. Seems a stretch but you never know. The second thing about this is...while Sam knew his immediate family, didn't the Leap Between the States show he wasn't real "up" on family history? So the only reason I could see that he would even know that his grandfather had a brother named John would be from possibly seeing a genealogical charts to reading it in the family Bible. Now after he leaps (and therefore after the phone call), when the timeline plays out again, would Sam remember his "cousin" calling and talking to his Dad when HE was younger? It's an interesting loop.

The Sam that knew about his immediate family was the 16 year old Sam in 1965 (or whatever year Genesis was in), and the Sam that wasn't "up" on his family history was the adult Sam after having his brain swiss-cheesed. He probably just forgot about his family history in "Leap Between the States" because of the swiss cheese effect.

asearcher said:
Also...which college did he get expelled from (for streaking)? Was he reinstated or did he go to another college after that?

I also thought it was interesting that thing that (paraphasing) was great about high school was the mini-skirts and the most difficult was pantyhose. Sam must have had a bit more activity in high school than are usually attributed to him in fanfic stories!

I've been wondering about the whole streaking thing too! That doesn't sound like something Sam would do tho, following the whole "geek" image Al portrayed of Sam in "Animal Frat".

asearcher said:
One of the other things I thought was really strange was the use of the term boogiem*n in Genesis. Now that we have the entire series played out it, of course, reminded me of that OTHER leap where there really was a boogiem*n!

And what's another cool coincidence about that whole thing is that in Genesis, when Sam says something to the effect of "the boogiem*n was here", he was looking at Al in the bar and realized that he was the only one who could see him, and in the episode "Boogiem*n", who turns out to be the boogiem*n.................AL. Nice touch.

Samantha Beckett

Edit: "Animal House"....."Animal Frat"....close enough :p

Last edited:
Sam's exploits

I always thought it was very unlike Sam to have streaked, or got expelled etc. and my take on it was to imagine that Al helped him fill in the answers based on his own experiences. The mini-skirts etc sound VERY Al-like.
We don't actually see Sam fill in the form, so it could easily be that Al was having fun attributing some of his own past to a severely Swiss-cheesed Sam. :heybaby

The way I've always looked at those answers was that this was the pilot episode and they hadn't quite fleshed out the characters yet. I think when Genesis was written they very well may have meant for Sam to have done those things when he was younger but, as the series progressed, Sam ended up being a very different person.

I've often found that in pilot episodes of various TV shows there will be inconsistencies to how the rest of the series plays out.

I had always assumed that the different tests were made for each pilot. I mean, it would be quite a coincidence for all of the pilots to have been expelled from school. What I think is that Sam answered the questions as best he could to find out more about himself, then he just had some fun with the rest of the answers. Maybe as someone else said, Maybe Al helped him with some answers too.