View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
blue enigma
Accelerator Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
Season five. This is practically an inarguable fact given that a lot of it's story lines (namely the Evil Leapers and the episodes involving celebrities) were ratings ploys to the point where all the rules were broken.
It definitely went downhill in Season 5 but I don't think it actually completely jumped the shark, and there are still some excellent episodes in the season (I love Killin' Time and Promised Land, I love Mirror Image despite the last black screen, and I even like the hokey UFO episode). Yes, they did break many of their own rules as they went along, they did stuff that Bellisario said he'd never do (like the celebrity leaps and leaping Sam into the Civil War), some of the scripts went down in quality with new writers who came in, and some of the characterizations got kind of off once in a while in this season's scripts too in my opinion (and people seem to either love or hate the evil leapers - I personally didn't like the introduction of the concept). But I think at least most of the core ethos of the show remained, even in Season 5. It was still Sam and Al working together and bantering and being great friends, Sam leaping to help others and put right what once went wrong, etc. So I don't think it completely went off the rails and into shark-jumping territory, but I agree it was on its way there. Had it gone on for another season and if the script for the alternate ending to the finale/cliffhanger for another season was anything to go by then yes, I think that likely would've happened in Season 6 had there been a Season 6.