View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
blue enigma
Accelerator Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
Firstly I'd like to say that I wouldn't call the types of leapees you listed as "out of the norm". Regardless of gender, race, religion, sexual orientation etc. we are all human beings. We are one.

Yeah, when I first saw the title of the thread I thought it was going to be about supernatural leaps.

Quote:
Agreed, the focus issue of Liberation was smart and well intentioned but writing the character who ran the movement an abusive backstory gave it the wrong image, one of vengeance rather than justice. What you ended up seeing was a woman who was emotionally unstable rather than one trying to make a difference.
Exactly. And not just QL, in general, abusive backstories are used way too much for this purpose in a lot of fiction.

Quote:
The expression on Sam at the ending moment when the husband went to kiss him was priceless however.
I know this scene was supposed to be funny. But here's the thing. There were enough leaps where Sam merged with a male leapee and felt sexual attraction and/or romantic love for the male leapee's female love interest. But that never happened when Sam leaped into a woman, where he picked up the leapee's feelings for her male love interest. Of course the real life explanation is that it was the late 1980s/early 1990s, a time when they couldn't show two men kissing on TV without getting backlash and they had to make it very very clear that Sam was absolutely no-room-for-doubt straight. Playing a scene like this for laughs was the only way they were willing to do it. Even in Running for Honor Sam as Tommy is just shown as not being at all sexually interested in Tommy's girlfriend (and through dialogue we get that Tommy hasn't been showing interest either), not as being attracted to men. It bothers me somewhat even though I understand why they needed to do this scene that way. This was the leapee's husband who we're meant to assume she still loves and with whom she wants to salvage her relationship. In that context that scene is kind of offensive.

Quote:
The kidnappers are poorly written and underdeveloped but Teresa is the reason to watch in my opinion.
Agreed. The kidnappers are so one-dimensional and just random in their behavior - they were completely indiscriminate about who they kidnapped (boys, girls, teenagers, kids - it didn't matter, they just had to kidnap someone). But there was so much that was good about the episode that I can mostly overlook them.