RIP Dean Stockwell

I've just heard of the sad news just before today's episode of Quantum Leap. I know I've not been around for quite a few years due to other commitments (my business took off unexpectedly) but I could not help but convey my condolences to all the lepers out there and to Scott Bakula to whom was a good friend. Very sad news indeed. May the leap continue. Love to all, Sue

Even though this news is not completely unexpected (knowing he hasn't been in the best of health in quite some time), it's still hitting me hard. Quantum Leap was a series that literally changed my life, and Dean Stockwell was and always be a huge part of what made it so memorable and meaningful to so many of us. He will be greatly missed. :(

It was very sad to hear about the passing of Dean Stockwell. 85 years of life is a very good age, 70 years on screens, millions of joyful faces of TV viewers, several generations and millions of destinies lived in one breath next to Dean. And all this thanks to such a talented actor as Dean Stockwell. The last time I watched a TV show with him was NCIS: New Orleans. Already in it, Dean was not in the best shape. It was very sad to hear that the beloved actor and wonderful friend had passed away. He will forever be remembered as Admiral Al Kalavichi. Rest in peace, our friend.| Я

Dean Stockwell will be missed. I loved him and Scott on QL and then Dean showed up on two other shows Scott stars on. That was special for me.

RIP Dean Stockwell

It's an absolute travesty they announce a reboot sequel 2 months after Deans death, its either a sick joke or terribly bad taste when they knew of Deans ill health and old age. It's complete stubbornness and ignorance on behalf of the producers and new writers in not rebooting sooner when the fans had been calling for it for over 10 years.

Last edited:
Dean Stockwell's stroke was in 2016 and he had little memory of his time on Quantum Leap after that. He officially retired from acting. It hasn't been a remote possibility that he'd be involved in a Quantum Leap project for the last 5 years. There was just no chance of it.

Things happen in Hollywood at a glacial pace and I have to assume that a new series had been in talks before Dean's death. Don Bellisario had shut down prior attempts to continue the series specifically the Sci-Fi channel, so he likely set the timetable on this.

Thanks for clarifying that. Dean’s Wikipedia entry says the stroke was 2015. But never assume it is accurate.

When Dean retired from acting I knew any revival of QL would not involve him long before he died.

It was also my understanding that Don halted any efforts before this. His approval makes optimistic.

I think there are numerous ways to deal with Al’s absence in a respectful way. Starting with having Susan Diol reprise her role as Beth. Possibly using that alternate ending we know her and Dean shot.

Thanks for clarifying that. Dean’s Wikipedia entry says the stroke was 2015. But never assume it is accurate.

When Dean retired from acting I knew any revival of QL would not involve him long before he died.

It was also my understanding that Don halted any efforts before this. His approval makes optimistic.

I think there are numerous ways to deal with Al’s absence in a respectful way. Starting with having Susan Diol reprise her role as Beth. Possibly using that alternate ending we know her and Dean shot.

If they can film QL and do it tastefully in the same way they did for Harold Ramis in Ghostbusters afterlife or Paul Walker in Fast & Furious it would work. It would be really emotional and epic to see Sam and Al together one last time on screen and then we can pass the torch into a new series of quantum leap.

Last edited:
I was thinking about the tribute to Harold Ramos. Do not want spoil the movie for those who have not seen it yet.

It occurred to me a way of doing a tribute only QL can do. The original ending was going to have Al leap to find Sam. You could have a character who Al leaped into. But we do not know it at first. But when Sam and Al touch we see it’s really Al using CGI. Similar to when Sam and Alia discovered each other. Maybe it’s a younger Al in the past. That older Al leaped into.

It will be a challenge but it can be done. Suspecting this would happen for years I have thought about it a lot. Scott and Dean did convention appearances together. I wonder if there is any footage of them hugging on stage… that could be repurposed.

I was thinking about the tribute to Harold Ramos. Do not want spoil the movie for those who have not seen it yet.

It occurred to me a way of doing a tribute only QL can do. The original ending was going to have Al leap to find Sam. You could have a character who Al leaped into. But we do not know it at first. But when Sam and Al touch we see it’s really Al using CGI. Similar to when Sam and Alia discovered each other. Maybe it’s a younger Al in the past. That older Al leaped into.

It will be a challenge but it can be done. Suspecting this would happen for years I have thought about it a lot. Scott and Dean did convention appearances together. I wonder if there is any footage of them hugging on stage… that could be repurposed.

I want to chime in on this too. I really don't want anyone to go the CGI route. I could foresee perhaps finding and using actual footage of Dean and reworking it to be a sort of holographic "farewell" message to Sam if the new leaper runs into him during his or her travels, or a message to the new PQL team left by Ziggy or something. Honestly, that would be the most realistic approach to honoring Dean and having him "appear" as Al one last time. Using CGI to "substitute" for a deceased actor just never works for me, no matter how good the effects are. It didn't work for me in Ghostbusters either, because I wasn't able to "fool" my brain into thinking Harold Ramis was there when I knew he wasn't. (I also am probably in the minority, but I was not a huge fan of Afterlife.) No matter how good the CGI is, it just "looks" wrong.

Hi guys!! I know this is VERY late to the game (password/time/life issues coming back); have to pay my respects to Dean. What a shame. Yes, I know of his health issues and there is really nothing for me to say that has not already been said so far. I am also disappointed that the reboot is going on without him.

Mr. Stockwell had such a 'down to earth' quality that many times throughout QL I felt he was improvising (as it turns out, he was). It always gave him a personal quality as if we the audience could know him. I do not wish to spend this thread complaining about 'what ifs'; this is just to pay my respects as a fan. RIP.

It's an absolute travesty they announce a reboot sequel 2 months after Deans death, its either a sick joke or terribly bad taste when they knew of Deans ill health and old age. It's complete stubbornness and ignorance on behalf of the producers and new writers in not rebooting sooner when the fans had been calling for it for over 10 years.

I agree with you completely. If the show were going to be brought back it should have been done decades ago when Dean was still with us and the orginal cast and writers could have been reunited to bring Sam home. I have no interest in seeing a "reboot" (I hate that term) of a show I loved with different actors,inferior writing and being taken in a different direction.
The original was special because of the actors,writers and crew involved,as well as the time that created it. That can NEVER be duplicated,and shouldnt be attempted. and by taking it in a different direction then its NOT Quantum Leap anymore.
All the people involved in these "reboots" seem to lose sight of what made the original a sucess. If I want a 1958 Plymouth or 1959 Buick,I am not going to buy a "remake" that looks like an ugly modern car being called a "1959 Buick".
We are all here at Al's Place because we love Quantum Leap. Scott and Dean were and always will be Sam and Al. and Quantum Leap is an original show that debuted in 1989. They can call a new show "Quantum Leap' but it will never be Quantum Leap

Hi guys!! I know this is VERY late to the game (password/time/life issues coming back); have to pay my respects to Dean. What a shame. Yes, I know of his health issues and there is really nothing for me to say that has not already been said so far. I am also disappointed that the reboot is going on without him.

Mr. Stockwell had such a 'down to earth' quality that many times throughout QL I felt he was improvising (as it turns out, he was). It always gave him a personal quality as if we the audience could know him. I do not wish to spend this thread complaining about 'what ifs'; this is just to pay my respects as a fan. RIP.

Thanks for sharing your sentiments on Dean,they were beautifully put. I agree with your feelings and always had tremendous respect for him as an actor and have heard he was a kind a gracious human being. he brought much depth and humanity to his role as Al Calavicci,and there was a genuine on screen chemistry between Scott and Dean that made their friendship in the show seen sincere. I only wish they would have made a tv movie decades ago reuniting them to bring Sam home and give the show a proper ending for its fans. I watched Quantum Leap 33 years ago when it was new. it will always hold a very special place in my heart.

I just heard about this from my best friend when I was telling her about my discovery of the revival.

From the limited information I have gathered over the years, Dean was a fiercely dedicated man to all that was important to him, family, career, environmentalism, and more, and wasn't afraid to be just as fiercely critical. A truly inspirational man.

He will be missed.

I'm VERY late in posting my condolences to Dean. My mom, brother and I were rewatching Quantum Leap in November 2021 when I read that Robert Dean Stockwell/Al Calavicci passed away. I thought the timing was weirdly perfect, as I was falling in love with Al and the comedy he brought to QL. I refuse to watch the "reboot," as the original QL was and still is absolutely perfect.

Here's a picture of Dean & Carol a friend of mine from Tumblr shared not too long ago.

The second photo is Dean being Dean with a rainbow in Taos, 2004 (from a YouTube tribute to Dean).

RIP, Robert Dean Stockwell.

Attachments

• tumblr_28da7f87766fcc76e7fca6a2b69612c0_602c93b5_1280.jpg
    tumblr_28da7f87766fcc76e7fca6a2b69612c0_602c93b5_1280.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image_123986672 (10).JPG
    image_123986672 (10).JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Love
Reactions: alsplacebartender