Australian dvds??

SBakulaFan1

Project QL Intern
Dec 15, 2005
I just bought season 1 dvd of QL last yr, here in Aus. They don't know when the others are coming out in shops. They taken a long time. It's just not fair. Does anyone know why they've taken so long here in aus for QL to come out in shops?? Maybe it's not as popular or something but still, people new to it might buy it!!

SBakulaFan1 said:
I just bought season 1 dvd of QL last yr, here in Aus. They don't know when the others are coming out in shops. They taken a long time. It's just not fair. Does anyone know why they've taken so long here in aus for QL to come out in shops?? Maybe it's not as popular or something but still, people new to it might buy it!!
Hiya! I actually asked about this in another thread - I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has any info about the Australian DVDs too.

08/02/06

Answer: Region 4 QL Season's 2 & 3 are both simutaneously released on Feb 8th '06 check sites like www.dstore.com.au for confirmation. They'll cost between $60-$65 AU and will presumably be the same as the region 2 versions with no music replacement (as both sets are PAL and the 1st season was labelled region 2 & 4).

Kal-El said:
Answer: Region 4 QL Season's 2 & 3 are both simutaneously released on Feb 8th '06 check sites like www.dstore.com.au for confirmation. They'll cost between $60-$65 AU and will presumably be the same as the region 2 versions with no music replacement (as both sets are PAL and the 1st season was labelled region 2 & 4).
:hurray:OMG this is such great news Kal-El. I had been regularly checking the ezydvd website for info, but they have something saying that if a DVD isn't listed on their site then they haven't been given any release date, and so I thought I wouldn't bother getting in touch to ask them.
And $65 isn't too bad a price too, considering that the cheapest price I found the Region 2 version for was 25 pounds from Amazon, which works out to about that same price in AUD, even before you add shipping.
Whoohoo, I am so happy now:D

Last edited:
Happy Happy Joy Joy, I have just pre-ordered season 2:D
Only...3 weeks until release, and hopefully not too long afterwards it will be on my doorstep!!

Kal-El said:

Hi I don't you don't mind my asking...but what is a "region 4"? and why are they different then what was released in the us?

If I am hearing you right, the Au is just now getting QL? Can't they just send for it from the us? And what is PAL?

I think this is most :disbelief unfair to any QL fan.

Thanks for helping me get a clue. Julie.

Hi I don't you don't mind my asking...but what is a "region 4"? and why are they different then what was released in the us?
OK, to answer your first question: DVDs are divided into regions. Canada and the US are Region 1, the UK and Europe are Region 2, I think Asia is Region 3 and Australia and New Zealand are Region 4 and so on. Supposedly the DVDs released in one region are specially coded so that they won't play on DVD players from another region - but now more and more DVD players are coming out that can play DVDs from all regions.
As for why they're different, there probably isn't much difference, apart from the region coding thing, and the fact that our DVDs are probably made to be the same as the UK ones, which means we'll have all the proper music intact:hurray:
If you do a search on the internet for "DVD region coding" you'll find a lot more information about it and how it works.

If I am hearing you right, the Au is just now getting QL?
Well, season 1 has been out here for a while, it's just that we're now getting season 2 and 3. But we do quite often get DVDs a long time after you guys - which is one reason why I, and a lot of other people, hate the whole region coding thing.

Can't they just send for it from the us?
Yes we can - if we have a DVD player that can play region 1 DVDs. In fact, that's how I got my season 1 box-set (before I knew it would be released here). But I didn't want to get any more of the US ones because of the whole music replacement thing. I could also have bought them from the UK but the exchange rate sucks so it works out cheaper to buy them here.

And what is PAL?
Where Region coding is a DVD thing, PAL is a television thing. It's a bit complicated, but the best way to look at it is to think of it like electricity - an electrical appliance from the US won't work in the UK without a converter because the electricity works on a different system. And it's the same with TV -something from the US can't be played on a TV in the UK without something to convert the picture because the tvs work on a different system. It has to do with how your television is set-up to display your picture. PAL is what televisions in the UK and Australia/New Zealand (and a lot of other countries:)) use and NTSC is what televisions in the US and Canada (and another lot of other countries:)) use. So while you may have a DVD player that can play another region, it also needs to be able to convert the picture to a system that your television can display properly - although most DVD players these days can, I think.
Because the UK and Australia/NZ both use PAL it's not uncommon to have DVDs that are coded for both Region 2 and Region 4 at the same time - and that's what they've done with Quantum Leap.
The bottom line is that, this is great news for us because even though most DVD players are set up to play DVDs from other regions, and in different television systems, it can be hassle making sure the DVD player you want to play it on is, in fact, one of those players. Plus, as I said, with the exchange rate and shipping etc, it can work out cheaper to buy it here.

I think this is most :disbelief unfair to any QL fan.
What do you mean? Do you mean making us AUssies wait so long?? Yeah well, again, that's why I hate the whole region coding thing.

Last edited:
wow! thanks for all the info! I did not know that there was such a difference.
I can see why you don't like the whole coding thing and yet are willing to wait for them to come to you. To have all the music the way it is suspost to be, I begaining to think I'd wait too. Thanks again! Julie