View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 01:37 PM   #42
chris-oates
Imaging Chamber Technician

An extremely powerful episode this one, that showcases just how doomed our dear Dr. Samuel Beckett is in terms of forming loving relationships.

Temptations Eyes is, at its heart, a love story. And it works...for the most part. Almost everything about this episode itself I enjoyed. I enjoyed the whole serial killer angle (although it did almost feel like a subplot at times, though, something which was driving Sam and Tamlyn closer and closer together because the plot needed them to be together). Also, just to get this small gripe out of the way...the killer was obvious from the start. We could have done with another couple of prominent characters. Blind Faith had this problem, too (the killer being very obvious again there). But yeah, Dylan was too obvious.

Now, back to the real meat of this episode, Sam and Tamlyn. This is, as many of you already know, the longest time Sam has spent on a leap, and the episode showcases the passing of time well with that beautiful montage (although on my version of the DVD (region 2), the beautiful song by Foreigner, "I Want To Know What Love is", doesn't play. We only get to hear stock, background music, which is a shame). Anyway, basically, I bought the love story between them, and find the ending heartbreaking every single time...

Unfortunately, what stops this episode from becoming Excellent in my mind...is the little problem regarding Donna, and that Sam is married to her. Yes, I know I've never mentioned this as an issue before. But here, the love seems so strong. It feels like there's a...once in a lifetime, star-crossed lovers kind of vibe going on. But we know that isn't true. If this had been a season 2 or 3 episode, I wouldn't have had as much of a problem with it. But it isn't. This comes after the season 4 opener (yes, we've already seen Sam and Donna together when she was younger, but that was different, as Sam's gamble in that episode seems uncertain to work). It does feel as though apart from Don Bellisario, the other writers (including Deborah Pratt), weren't too keen on the idea of Sam and Donna being married in the future. I know it's better that way for Sam that he doesn't remember Donna (because he wouldn't like being unfaithful). But there's a heap of difference in just keeping up a pretence of being in love with someone, and actually falling head over heels for them. And yeah, I don't know. I just think this episode is too close to The Leap Back to fully work.

That being said, I do enjoy Temptation Eyes, and adore Tamlyn as a character.

My rating. Good. A great episode.