My vision

Lightning McQueenie

Project QL Intern
Dec 8, 2005
After watching the Alternate Ending to Deliver Us From Evil it got me thinking, and really I much prefer the alternate ending to the one we got. But I thought of ways it could be more dramatic...

When Al tells Sam Ziggy says he has to kill Alia, all the dialogue is the same with Alia saying "You lied to me, now you're going to kill me" blah blah blah, but this is where it changes.

I think since it's a good vs evil storyline, they have playing in the background "The Lord's Prayer" (I have a really moving version by an opera singer called Sylvie Palledino), and at the part where it says in the song "Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil" I see Sam saying "I always play by the rules, and good always prevails over evil" as he shoots Alia. Then towards the end of the song we see Alia fall down with a lifeless look on her face, and Sam coming to the realisation of what he's done. At the final "Amen" we see flames engulf Alia as she leaps out and time is reset.

Then when Sam says to Al "What the Hell just happened" and Al says "It appears we've lost 2 days".
"What about Alia?" says Sam, in the hope that he hadn't killed her.
"She's gone" says Al.
Then Sam comes to the realisation that he can't exist if Alia doesn't, so he says "I'm still here Al... that means Alia is NOT gone" as he leaps.

That's just something I've been playing around with in my head... what do you all think?

Okay, I'm obviously missing something here....what alternate ending?

Thanks. I don't know, I have to think on it more. Right now I'm glad they cut it, personally.

Ah, but think of all the people he DID kill in cold blood... like all the Viets he killed in Vietnam for example.

I think he WOULD do what he has to do to put right what's gone wrong, even if it means killing someone to do it.

naggindragon said:
Ah, but think of all the people he DID kill in cold blood... like all the Viets he killed in Vietnam for example.

I think he WOULD do what he has to do to put right what's gone wrong, even if it means killing someone to do it.

Well, he wouldnt kill Alia since he knew that he couldnt exist without her...it would be suicide.

Also, i wouldnt consider the killings in Vietnam in cold blood per se. It was a war...things like that have to be done in a war. Plus, it was self defense and the defense of others that provocated Sam killing those ppl. In cold blood usually brings images of killing for no reason or with no provocation...his experience in Vietnam doesnt fit that.

Samantha Beckett

naggindragon said:

Those situations were different. Sam did what he had to do to survive. He did not kill the VC in cold blood. He was in a combat situation, and often in times of war, it's either "kill or be killed." It's unfortunate, but that's the way it goes. Sam only killed when he either had no other choice, or was defending himself and the people around him. In God's eyes (at least as I learned it) and in the eyes of the courts, killing in self-defense or to preserve someone else's life is excused, because preserving life supercedes everything else.

The alternate ending to "Deliver Us From Evil" is completely out-of-character for Sam. He would never willingly agree to kill someone, even if they deserved it, because it's considered a sin. Sam was no longer in any danger when he got the gun out of Alia's hands. If Sam had killed Alia without provocation, he would have been no better than her. That's most likely why the ending was altered...because there's no way that Sam would ever just point a gun at someone because Ziggy told him to. He'd go through every other option first. Killing is a last resort when all else fails.

Damon