What did Quantum Leap mean to you?

StevenQL

Project QL Intern
Sep 7, 2012
United Kingdom
I started watching Quantum Leap fairly young, i used to watch it every morning before school and it always made me feel good,even in the early mornings lol. Even at a young age i like to think it taught me a lot, about the way people can be, the way the world used to be and at times how bad it was, but that even one person, if they try hard enough, can make a difference for the better.

So,what did Quantum Leap mean to you? Did you learn anything from it etc?

I started watching Quantum Leap fairly young, i used to watch it every morning before school and it always made me feel good,even in the early mornings lol. Even at a young age i like to think it taught me a lot, about the way people can be, the way the world used to be and at times how bad it was, but that even one person, if they try hard enough, can make a difference for the better.

So,what did Quantum Leap mean to you? Did you learn anything from it etc?

Quantum Leap meant a lot to me. I have seen every episode and like you I was watching it when I was young, about 12 I think when I first saw it on BBC2 in the UK. Ah, those were the days. I am currently re-watching all the episodes. I watching Kamikaze kid right now! ;)

I learned how much faith that Sam had not only in himself but in God. What I loved most was he tried in each case to remain optimistic every time even though the odds some times were against him.
One of my favorite episodes among many is Pool Hall Blues where he told that banker that he had a responsibility to help those who went before him. That was so powerful but said in a subtle way. Another powerful example of what I loved about Sam was the way he stood up for Women and told them that could do anything they wanted to. Such as Gloria who learned that she did not need to depend on men for approval.
And an episode that sticks out in my mind and I know that Scott has addressed it many times was Raped, I thought the way he wanted to make Katie's horror end and things right but instead he had to beat Kevin to a pulp to show that this monster did not belong free on the streets to attack anyone else.

I like the way you put it, Steven. I think what stands out most in my mind is friendship. Sam is a friend to everyone and tries to help in whatever way he can - he's the worlds biggest boy scout. But this is also as much Al's story as it is Sam's. Sam's thoughts at times are for himself - "I want to go home" - but he puts Al's needs first. Perhaps he realizes that even if he went home, things would never be the same. Throughout the series Al searches through time, watches his back, and even though he takes the brunt of Sam's frustration at times, he's still by his side.

I loved Quantum Leap back when it was on the air and I was very happy when they started showing it on G4. It was and still is one of the more positive shows on T.V., and positive shows in the world of T.V. are hard to find, especially these days. Sam was one of the most unselfish, helpful characters in a T.V. show. He wasn't perfect, but he always thought of others and always did the right thing no matter what. I can't think of an episode I didn't like something about, even if I liked some more than others. There was something very sweet about this guy who was helping others and yet at the same time wanted to go home so badly and have a life of his own.

I loved the contrast between Sam's straight-laced, kind of shy character and Al's more outgoing, worldly character...Scott and Dean had a great chemistry. It wouldn't have worked with anyone else. Sam's reactions to some of the situations he found himself in were a riot (Private Dancer, Dr. Ruth and the diner scene in The Leap Back come to mind). :roflmao:Al provided some very funny moments as well. There were only three or four episodes where I didn't laugh at least once.

My favorite episodes were when Scott got to sing and/or play piano or guitar. And I loved it when he leaped into women, especially if he beat the crap out of some jerk who didn't realize he was a man. :roflmao:The episodes I had the hardest time watching were Last Dance Before an Execution, the Lee Harvey Oswald episodes and of course the last one...Mirror Image. That one was heartbreaking.

And I loved it when he leaped into women, especially if he beat the crap out of some jerk who didn't realize he was a man. :roflmao:
Man, I loved that too! :roflmao:Standing up for women is definitely one of my favorite aspects of QL and the character of Sam. I truly admire Scott for playing his female characters as well as he did, and I love Sam for the fact that he actually respects women and treats them as equals (and for many other things, of course).

To answer the OP's question, I watched QL for the first time in 2010 (better later than never), after I'd finished watching Star Trek: Enterprise and wanted to see more of Scott's work. At the time I was going trough a pretty dark spot in my life. I'd had certain experiences that had made me lose sight of the fact that people can also be genuinely good and considerate. Quantum Leap and especially the character of Sam Beckett so gracefully portrayed by Scott reminded me of that. Seeing him selflessly helping strangers and adapting to anything his leaping life was throwing at him episode after episode was very therapeutic for me. Watching a show with such a positive message was crucial in my way towards gaining a healthier and more hopeful outlook on life, so I could say that Quantum Leap means quite a lot to me.

Apart from the personal investment, I was happy to add another quality show to my collection of favorites. I love shows that make you think about things, and QL certainly does that.

Man, I loved that too! :roflmao:Standing up for women is definitely one of my favorite aspects of QL and the character of Sam. I truly admire Scott for playing his female characters as well as he did, and I love Sam for the fact that he actually respects women and treats them as equals (and for many other things, of course).

I liked the fact Sam treated women with respect and didn’t take advantage of the people he leapt into also. They didn’t have him sleep around indiscriminately, but if he did happen to get involved with someone he did so because he loved her. These days they have characters jump into bed with anyone and everyone and they don’t even have to like them to do so. :b At least Sam had a sense of caring about these women. Of course, part of that too was to have the contrast with Al, who would have slept with anything female—Including robots and aliens. :roflmao:It was funny to hear the differing views. :)

I watched Quantum Leap when it first aired, when I was a young child, elementary school age. I was impressed by the wonderment, but definitely too young to grasp all of the concepts that were being presented. Recently, I've been re-watching episodes to prepare for a retrospective podcast I'll be participating in, and the episodes struck me as so much more powerful than they had before. I attribute much of this to my mind being trained by the recent offerings of serialized sci-fi/drama. Shows like LOST, BSG, FlashForward, Fringe...they all tackled time-travel and the moral dilemas characters face. Returning to Quantum Leap let me really appreciate what they were doing on that show, and see the broader complexities working together. I feel like I love the show even more now. Even have a crazy theory about how that happens to us all. I really wish the show were still on. Very ahead of its time.

To hear my insane theories on the show and join a discussion/open love letter to this awesome series, be sure to check out the DVM Podcast Empire's upcoming retrospective - The TV Resurrection Podcast. (www.dvmpe.com) We're recording our show tonight, 3/5/13 at 8:30pm EST, so there's time to get us your feedback and be a part of the program.

Thanks.

-Dave

I did not watch Quantum Leap when it aired on TV. I purchased all seasons on DVD and watched then in order. It was a wonderful experience. You cannot do that with too many TV shows. My wife and I watched them together and since we are about the same age as Sam Beckett (actually three years older given his birth year of 1953) we could really relate to all the experiences he and Al went through. A really great series and I am a time travel show freak. It is far better than The Time Tunnel or Voyagers! or the BBC series Timeslip. I re-watch episodes all the time when walking on the treadmill. Every time I watch the finale I get new insights. I would love to see a movie or new TV series.

I remember when i first started to watch the show i got addicted by it:\ and then for some stupid reason the tv station who aired it decided to air it at another time.they aired it at 2 pm sunday and they put it at 2 am everyday :spidey i was a teen and my parents wouldnt let me stay overnight to watch it.but when the schools closed for the summer i remember that i had to watch all the western movies in that tv station at 1 am and then it was ql.and i hate it the whole process:\ but i enjoyed the series.
Also what i remember most that it was summer and i was about to go to a summer camp and the ep for next week was when sam lept to that rock star and he had to sing in the stadium and i was pissed couse i wanted to see how sam was gonna pull that of:\ and i ve had the worst time of my life in that stupid camp i went to
Well eventually after some years the tv station showed ql again this time at a good time in the afternoon and i got to see FINALLY and the 5 seasons except from the last episode which i missed it but now i can say THANK GOD I DID COUSE I WOULD BE :nut

I got into this show from a very young age. It was the first TV programme I ever saw religiously, so it meant everything for me. In a way, it made me discover many things about life that I didn't know at the time. You never fully understand the adult themes they show us here when you're a kid, but you never feel completely unrelated to them, either. They appeal to you because most of the time these topics are things that were glued into the world even before you were born.

I have to admit that the first time I got hooked into QL was because I loved seeing Sam leap, that was all. I was about 12 and didn't care much for the story except for the time when he fixed it at the end and he was surrounded by the blue elecric light. Then I grew up a bit more and began to pay attention to the stories themselves and what they meant. They carried a strong essence and a strong message during my adolescence. I remember that there was a time, probably during my highschool years, when I used to read too much into the show and even wanted to become Sam at some point because I saw many wrong things in the world that most of the time didn't get "put right." I fantasized about it and it meant the world to me. But many, many years ago I grew out of it. Got other ideas, other concepts in my life, other experiences, and now I can't help to view most of these worlds where Sam leaps as a bit two-dimensional. That doesn't mean I don't like it anymore. I still love it and I won't ever stop being a fan, that's a fact, but now it just means great entertainment to me, nothing more. If I ever have kids, I'll show it to them, that's for sure.

One thing I noticed the last time I saw all the episodes again was that I loved more Al than Sam. Probably because, even if he is only the Observer, he's clearly a more experienced and mature character, in my opinion.