View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 02:21 AM   #29
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemom6067 View Post

It seemed a little sloppy to me that Al (or Ziggy) didn't check the mother's name, honestly.
I believe I've noticed a pattern in Al's behavior in regards to marriages.

I just watched 'Runaway' on Comet and noticed that Al makes a similar assumption of the wife and mother of that episode, Emma, as he did here.

A wife and mother disappeared and he judged the circumstances, she was having marital problems and enjoying the company of another man to draw his own conclusion that she left her family for this other man rather than conducting a thorough search of the records.
It's established that the records left no room for speculation as at the last minute he does find a clear record, albiet about 30 years later, of Emma's remains having been found at the location of her disappearance and identified.

Sam unviels that Al projected his own mother who abandoned him onto Emma.

In this case, the leapee is married and is destined to have a child that lives will depend on but instead of considering a second marriage once again Al is selective with the records and judges the circumstances. Thus focusing on the current marriage despite the clear strain.
Here he could be idealizing his mother but given that the leapee is a Vietnam veteran I believe he was subconciously projecting Beth onto Julie.

I wouldn't call it "sloppy" persay, Al seems to be baised when it comes to marriages which I feel falls more under 'incompetent'.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote