UK/R2 Season 2 Unedited...

EAC

Project QL Intern
Oct 29, 2005
Just recieved my R2 Season 2 set and had a quick look at a few of the episodes. 'Louie Louie' is presesnt in Animal Frat, 'Call Me' is still in Another Mother, and 'Georgia on my Mind' is intact in MIA :hurray:

Off to check some more episodes....

I can confirm that the music IS indeed in the R2 Uk version of season 2. I'm using this site for info on what was missing from the R1 version and seeing if it's on the R2 version. So far is all good:smokin

Here's a couple of pics of the R2 dvd artwork from my copy.

I guess it makes a change from us UK peeps having to import a dvd from the USA or Canada because we get a bum deal with edits to our fave movies:cry

The world is all upside down at the moment:hmm

PS. This is the best Quantum Leap site on the net:bow

Right, I've just ordered the R2 from amazon with discount. Selling my R1 on ebay.

What was changed on the series 3 release?

Al's Cigar said:
Right, I've just ordered the R2 from amazon with discount. Selling my R1 on ebay.

What was changed on the series 3 release?

Season 3 is not due for release over here until 12/12/05

This is great news about season 2 though. Thanks for the heads up. I am definitely looking forward to getting it now.

Once I have a good source, if any of my American friends wish me to procure a copy and send it Stateside, I will do so at cost, but if there are a lot of you I will need funds up front as I do not have much of a cash flow at present.

Well, this is just great. That's really unfair. Especially since UK DVDs don't work on US players... at least, that's what I've always been told.

Why on earth did the UK DVDs go unchanged but the US had changes? That's just so completely unfair...

I'm just glad I never forked out the dough for seasons 2 and 3. If I'm able to get the R2 DVDs and a player that actually plays them, well, yeah... I'm glad I hadn't spent my money yet.

Joy

tina_als_girl said:
Well, this is just great. That's really unfair. Especially since UK DVDs don't work on US players... at least, that's what I've always been told.

Why on earth did the UK DVDs go unchanged but the US had changes? That's just so completely unfair...

I'm just glad I never forked out the dough for seasons 2 and 3. If I'm able to get the R2 DVDs and a player that actually plays them, well, yeah... I'm glad I hadn't spent my money yet.

Joy

I can't say for sure, Joy, but there may be a way to make R2 work on your machine.
Ostensibly, R1 won't work on British DVD players, but most are hackable.
Check on the website for the make and model of your DVD. There may be an official way to make it work. If not, there are sites out there that list loads of makes and models and talk you through the hacks. Normally you are allowed 5 switches, then the machine is bound to the region last used. The hacks - which are most often a combination of key presses on the remote - simply stop the machine from getting locked, so that both regions can be played.

Good luck to all of you out there. I understand your frustration, and jealousy, but can't help feeling pleased that I'll be able to get the real deal.

I'm very happy for our UK LEapers!!! I may have to buy a cheap DVD player and hack it to be set for Region 2 so I can get the WHOLE INTACT QL 2nd Season!! :D

(Once I've paid bills and gotten my finances straightened out and....yeah, this is pretty much a pipe dream. <g>)

USA peeps wanting a player, something like a Cyberhome or Sampo. Not only change regions but also convert PAL to NTSC. Different Television standards.

A google search should bring up the info you need.

Since the Season 2 set is intact and everything, I was wondering if anyone of you who will actually get those DVDs could please :bow rip them onto their computer and make .avi files out of them. I guess that avis still play no matter what the DVD of origin's region is... and I would be SO grateful... I actually haven't even watched a single episode of my region 1 set for fear that I would get a heart attack from the shock or something... and seeing those episodes again in good quality would mean SO much to me.

A huge THANK YOU to anyone that will be willing to do this.

Have a good day!!!

Clara

I'm afraid that would be breaking the law. Illegal. Why not sell your R1 set and buy the R2 set?

You really should be supporting the region that releases them uncut, not stealing from them.

Al's Cigar said:
I'm afraid that would be breaking the law. Illegal. Why not sell your R1 set and buy the R2 set?

You really should be supporting the region that releases them uncut, not stealing from them.

Well, I did not mean to offend you in any way... I just wanted to know if someone would be so kind as to do this for me, since I can't do it myself. And I don't see how it would be so bad for me to get these .avis, especially after being ripped off by the R1 version, all legal talk put aside. And I did not ask for Season 3 either, since I haven't bought that on DVD... not yet at least.

Now, about buying R2, the reason why I won't do that (yet) is because I know for sure that I don't have a multi-region DVD player, so that would be useless... Maybe when I'll have enough money go and buy a multi-region player, but for now it's just not possible for me. Plus, do you realise just how expensive it would be for me to import this R2 set to Canada? I know these online sites pay for US customs and sorts, but I'm sure they don't do that for Canada. It would probably cost me twice as much just to get the R2, and considering where I could sell the R1 (used DVD stores mostly), I wouldn't get 1/2 of my buying price... So you see that wouldn't really be a viable option for me right now, costing me 1 1/2 if not 2 times the price I paid for Season 2 R1... That's just one of the disadvantages of living in Canada. Oh, and one more thing, they probably wouldn't even let me order it unless it had a bilingual packaging. Language laws in Quebec can sometimes be SO annoying... (Even if I do agree with most of them...) The only way I could thus get the R2 is if someone I knew that lived in R2 territory would buy it for me and then send it by mail, as a gift. I am planning on doing that, but not before I get that multi-region player.

I know I talk a lot. I just wanted you to see my point of view, and I hope you do. If I said or did anything to offend you in any way, please accept my apologies, for that is not what I meant to do.

Have a nice day!

Clara

As upset as I am about not getting what I paid for in the Region 1 version, I am excited that there is a version out there intact. I'll be trying to get this version ASAP and working out a solution to be able to play it as well.

Does anyone have a good link to a site where I can get the region 2 version?

Thanks so much for the info on this!

Not only does the Region 2 music seem to be fully intact, but from the picture it appears as if it's nicer as well. It does consist of more discs, but the single-sided ones are much more attractive and consistent with the Season 1 release. I guess the only catch of living in the U.K. is just how long you guys have to wait to get these sets.

And I know you guys typically get the short end of the stick when it comes to other DVD sets on TOP of having to usually wait up to an extra year. So I'm happy for those of you in Region 2 for getting a complete set. As you know, us here in the states didn't take the news of removed music so well when we first found out. Unfortunately I've been having some negative cash flow problems with my debt at the moment, but somewhere down the line I'd definitely be interested in acquiring a Season 2 set.

Clara5 said:
Well, I did not mean to offend you in any way... I just wanted to know if someone would be so kind as to do this for me, since I can't do it myself. And I don't see how it would be so bad for me to get these .avis, especially after being ripped off by the R1 version, all legal talk put aside. And I did not ask for Season 3 either, since I haven't bought that on DVD... not yet at least.

Now, about buying R2, the reason why I won't do that (yet) is because I know for sure that I don't have a multi-region DVD player, so that would be useless... Maybe when I'll have enough money go and buy a multi-region player, but for now it's just not possible for me. Plus, do you realise just how expensive it would be for me to import this R2 set to Canada? I know these online sites pay for US customs and sorts, but I'm sure they don't do that for Canada.

Clara

I understand the annoyance, I bought the R1 of two and three. If you have a DVD Rom on your PC, you can make it multi-region by installing this freeware DVD43. Whenever it's running, it should be multiregion.

You could try buying the R2 from ebay and ask the seller to mark it as a gift, when he ships it.

We all wish we had more money.

alsplacebartender said:
As upset as I am about not getting what I paid for in the Region 1 version, I am excited that there is a version out there intact. I'll be trying to get this version ASAP and working out a solution to be able to play it as well.

Does anyone have a good link to a site where I can get the region 2 version?

Thanks so much for the info on this!

UK ebay or Amazon.co.uk are probably your best bets.:)

Last edited:
I'm pretty confident I am going to before Xmas, get myself a DVD player to be hacked for Region 2. Then I am ordering QL season 2!!!!

Just a quick question to those with the Region 2 set... On the Region 1 sets, the entire audio for the episode "Jimmy" is off-pitch. The problem is most noticeable with the music on the opening credit sequence, where the music sounds a chord lower than it should be. Has this sound issue been resolved on the Region 2 set?

This is probably good news for Aussies as well!
From the looks of things, the season 1 set available here is Region 2/4 (which sometimes happens because we both use PAL systems). So, hopefully the season 2 set will be too, and we'll get the un-butchered version. I *knew* I was right to hold off buying the DVDs for so long :hurray:

DeadZoneLeaper said:
Has anyone griped to Universal as to why R2 is intact and R1 was butchered?

I don't think we've had enough time yet (just learned of this development this past week), but I sure hope to have a letter sent ASAP...

In fact, I think we should do a letter-writing "campaign" phase and send all our letters of complaint by the same date so they get all our letters around the same time... Much like we did with the Revival Initiative...

Joy

DeadZoneLeaper said:
Has anyone griped to Universal as to why R2 is intact and R1 was butchered?

The R1 came out almost a year ago and the R2 is just out this week. Perhaps that was time to sort out the music rights? Maybe the music rights are different outside of the USA? Who knows.

I wouldn't write just yet though, just incase they didn't know and force all the R2 copies to be withdrawn from the shops and replaced with the butchered versions.;)

Why tempt fate.:sup

Complain after they've released all the seasons on R2.:hat

Last edited:
QL Nut said:
Just a quick question to those with the Region 2 set... On the Region 1 sets, the entire audio for the episode "Jimmy" is off-pitch. The problem is most noticeable with the music on the opening credit sequence, where the music sounds a chord lower than it should be. Has this sound issue been resolved on the Region 2 set?

The problem should be resolved by PAL speedup, even it's the same master. PAL converstions from film run at 4% faster than NTSC, which means there's ever so slightly a higher pitch to the sound. Many people can't notice it. That's a point, if you are sensitive to sound you may hate the R2 versions. It's something your ears adjust to very quickly though.

Last edited:
Al's Cigar said:
The problem should be resolved by PAL speedup, even it's the same master. PAL converstions from film run at 4% faster than NTSC, which means there's ever so slightly a higher pitch to the sound. Many people can't notice it. That's a point, if you are sensitive to sound you may hate the R2 versions. It's something your ears adjust to very quickly though.

Hmm...a flip side to every coin, it seems. Honestly, for me it would be a gamble because now that I know about the difference, I'll be looking for it like an arrow to a target. I'm sure this higher pitch is no doubt more distinctive when music is playing; any noticeable differences there? Now I'm kind of worried if this same audio problem will bug me as the original problems with "Jimmy" and Season 3's "Last Dance Before An Execution" have.

Well, I already have the R1s, and the R2s are much more apealing owing to being uncut despite of PAL speedup. On the bright side PAL has a higher picture resolution and won't suffer from 3:2 NTSC pulldown judder.

I'm sure this higher pitch is no doubt more distinctive when music is playing; any noticeable differences there?

Not huge differences, you might only notice on certain kinds of music. Sometimes I can't notice a difference sometimes I can, but my advice is don't go looking for it.:heybaby Some releases get pitch corrected these days, but I don't know if these ones have. My order hasn't arrived yet. Sometimes only a side by side comparison will yield a notciable dfference. When I get mine this week, I'll compare it to the R1, and let you know.

Last edited:
The UK has different music rights clearance issues than the US, so I've heard. Apparently the recording industry is ripping off the DVD industry in America, but that's not the case elsewhere. Hence the intact episodes in R2. You can bet I'll be supporting that region from now on.

Al's Cigar said:
On the bright side PAL has a higher picture resolution and won't suffer from 3:2 NTSC pulldown judder.

Interesting. Come to think of it, I have noticed differences in the picture resolution for other DVD sets in different regions. I do find that the American versions always have a darker tint to the picture. Season 2 in particular seemed to have a darker quality than the first or third seasons (unless it's my imagination).

Al's Cigar said:
Not huge differences, you might only notice on certain kinds of music. Sometimes I can't notice a difference sometimes I can, but my advice is don't go looking for it.:heybaby Some releases get pitch corrected these days, but I don't know if these ones have. My order hasn't arrived yet. Sometimes only a side by side comparison will yield a notciable dfference. When I get mine this week, I'll compare it to the R1, and let you know.

Not that I'll necessarily be looking for the differences, but I'd probably be more likely to notice. But I agree with you that this slight pitch problem isn't enough in and of itself to tarnish the fact that the set's complete.

Manifan said:
The UK has different music rights clearance issues than the US, so I've heard. Apparently the recording industry is ripping off the DVD industry in America, but that's not the case elsewhere. Hence the intact episodes in R2. You can bet I'll be supporting that region from now on.

Well, that explains a lot. The only question I have is why it takes so long for other regions to get their sets. I would think that since the U.K.'s music industry is not corrupt like America's is, it should get the sets a lot faster because there are less hurdles to clear regarding music rights.

Last edited:
Most of the UK R2 Universal TV sets haven't been far behind the R1 releases, apart from ...Quantum leap season 2. It's possible that they were aware of fan anger at the R1 release and so wanted to clear the music (which probably isn't a fast process),which is nice considering there was nothing stopping them from just releasing the edited versions.