Stand-Up

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Stand-Up
April 30, 1959

Las Vegas, Nevada

Sam has leaped into a very unfunny night club comedian act. Sam's partner is filled with anger from his childhood, and he and their new female partner are in love but can't yet find the words to get together. As Sam and Al try to bring them together, a mob boss who has his eyes set on the girl may tear them apart permanently.

Written by: Deborah Pratt
Directed by: Michael Zinberg

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
Better than average episode with Sam trying to play the comic. Amy Yasbeck played the female member seven years before she married the delightful John Ritter before becoming his widow in 2003.

Al's Handlink said:
It's funny. QL went up against Full House in it's final season, didn't it?

yeah i remember that being said on sci ography. In fact Before Kristen introduced me to QL my thing was Full House and when I was younger I watched America's Funniest Home Videos with my mom. So it really psyched me out to see him when I first viewed Stand Up. It was fun to see him do what he is more commonly known for as an actor as Danny Tanner is not his typical role he in fact disliked it because of it being pure PG. I have never seen him in too many other roles but I have an online friend that I used to chat with on AIM and she told me some stuff and apparently Bob is known for being a comedian although in real life his humor is mostly dirty from what I hear than we see here in QL. But he is a great actor and he captured the charactor of Mac very well.

Everything about the beginning of the Ep is halarious. I just love Sam answering the joke with his famous 'Oh Boy'. Poor Sam. I loved how Frankie was really sweet and supported Sam's joke ieven though it sucked.

Kristen(my best friend) and I made this joke where Al's making fun of that little bit by going
"Oh great job Sam, ever hear the one about the nerdy scientist that used 'Oh boy' as the punchline!"

lol.
I also loved Frankie's joke at the beginning of the episode
"Here tiz here tiz" lol.:roflmao:

Last edited:
:help
This episode will be one of my least favourite episode of the show(in the bottom 5 and maybe even in the bottom 3) it was too cheesy,it used too many Cliches,the story itself was poor, and...if this episode supposed to be funny - it didn't make a very good job.
But i gotta say one thing - i really liked the end of this episode - when Sam took a cake in his hand and tried to shove it in Al's face. That was Funny!:roflmao:

isz said:
..if this episode supposed to be funny - it didn't make a very good job.

Well I think it's funny and so did my mom, this was the only episode that made her laugh so hard. Not counting Season five because she has only seen one or two episodes from it.

I enjoyed this episode very much the first time I watched it--it was only the second episode of the series that I ever saw. I love the comedy routine they put together, and Scott singing "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" knocked my socks off. It looked like they had a lot of fun putting that part of the episode together. On later watchings, the plot did get a bit thin, but I enjoyed the actors and the writing.

isz said:
But i gotta say one thing - i really liked the end of this episode - when Sam took a cake in his hand and tried to shove it in Al's face. That was Funny!:roflmao:

Dean Stockwell's George Burns moment, cigar and all!
Oh... for those who don't remember George Burns, he was a very popular comedian, married to a very funny comedienne named Gracie Allen. They had a radio show for years, and at the end of every show, George would say, "Say goodnight, Gracie."

Okay, I hate this episode. It's just not funny. It tries too hard. When you start rooting for the gangsters to actually, you know, kill people, it's bad. Out of 97 episodes, there are 3 that I just. can't. watch. And this is one of them. Sorry.

Don't love it; don't hate it. I do love how Sam looks so comfortable on that stage--drink in hand. The story's a bit thin, but that's OK. Sam singing made me vote good and not average.

A bit cheesy, but I love any episode where Scott sings. That alone makes watching this worthwhile. He has such a wonderful voice and does an incredible job with "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes". I loved it when the woman sitting at the table fainted when he was standing in front of her singing. I'd have probably done the same thing. :lol Some very funny moments, especially at the end when Sam picks up the pie (or cake) to throw at Al just before he leaps. :roflmao::roflmao:I could never get tired of watching that.

Last edited:
Everything about the beginning of the Ep is halarious [sic]. I just love Sam answering the joke with his famous 'Oh Boy'. Poor Sam. I loved how Frankie was really sweet and supported Sam's joke ieven [sic] though it sucked.
Because the joke was about a naked man with a sheep, Scott Bacula was probably thinking "Ewe boy?" But since "ewe" and "oh" aren't homonyms, he went with "Oh boy?" instead.

Or was that a baaad pun? :lol