Pet Peeves

ohboy

Project QL Intern
May 27, 2008
Northern California
The topic today came up on pet peeves, and I was thinking that this may be a good topic to generate some discussion on. Basically, what are some things that get you irratated, annoyed, or just mad?

I'll start. One thing I don't like is when men wear the slacks, jacket, and buttondown shirt (don't get me started on t-shirts with this), and then not the tie. The tie belongs with the suit! Someone gets the jacket and the pants and the shirt, but they don't put the effort into the tie?

Now, its your turn.

Three of my top pet peeves are related:

1. Drivers who don't use their turn signals...to put it in a somewhat genteel phrasing...really frost my cookies! I've lost count of the number of times I've muttered to a driver ahead of me who turns without signaling, "They don't put turn signals on cars for ornaments!"

2. People who do "rolling stops" at a Stop sign! and;

3. When a driver behind me at a red traffic light honks because I....*gasp*!...actually bring my car to a full stop, almost every time I'm muttering, "Red means *stop* not "slow down"!"

:nut *takes deep breath...wipes foam off of lips...another deep calming breath* ....okay...I'm better now, so I'll get down off the soapbox so someone else can vent. :roflmao:

Eleiece

Hyperactive kids.
Females who starve themselves, turn themselves orange with fake tan and a ridiculous amount of makeup and wear skimpy clothing. I hate them even more if they notice you're not the same and start being ****** towards you.
Oh, and my stepdad.

Sherdran, I am completely with you on the driving bit. Another one I can add, and I think after reading your reasons why you don't like driving habits, is when I'm going 30 mph in a 30 mph road, and am being tail-gated by someone who thinks 37mph is a much more appropraite speed.

One woman in the local newspaper actually wrote that drivers can go as fast as they want when they are in the far left lane. If we're obeying the speed limit, we're supposed to just pull into another lane and let them do 10-15 miles over the speed limit and maybe kill somebody!

And while I'm on a roll, Sam's Crow, I can completely agree about hyperactive children, and people who judge just because someone is not trying to alter themselves to be cool!

Sorry Bexter, but I've never been married, nor had a dating relationship with anyone, so don't have anything I can say about that.Still thought since I mentioned the other two, I should at least acknowledge yours as well.

I hate people who go ridiculously fast in cars as well. A couple months back, a friend's friend was killed when he/she got hit by a speeding car. No joke. Over in England there's been a few hit and runs recently. It's not right.

I also hate it when people speak to me as if I'm stupid because I don't really talk much.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness dont get me started...

Im right with you Bexter about phsycolagical abuse...
And with you too Sams crow about people speaking to me as if Im stupid because i dont talk much, sometimes i would rather sit and listen to other people. Also im quite shy and people think im rude, but its not that i just cant find the right thing to say.

And the other thing that annoys me is lateness without a good reason.:banghead

I'm with you on the lateness - I'd rather be an hour early than a minute late!

Oh and for those quiet types who get treated badly - a famous saying for you to make you feel better - try it on the next person who acts superior...

"'tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!"
I've come across the quote in various similar forms, most attributed to Abraham Lincoln but sometimes to Mark Twain. Whoever it was - I like it.

What really bugs me is people who are two faced. I'd rather people be honest and say what they dislike about me, than pretend to like me to my face and then ***** behind my back.

As you might be able to tell from my sig, bad/inattentive drivers make me see red (cell phone chatting, not being clear about the rules of the road, etc.) I live and drive in Boston, of all places, so you KNOW I have quite a few bad days. I think I will produce a bumper sticker that says, "You are not smart enough to talk and drive at the same time. Hang up." I should be a millionaire in no time.

My biggest pet peeve, though, is Being interrupted (and its classy cousin, Having someone finish my sentence). I'm very deliberate in my speech when it's important, and if someone starts talking over me, I'll backtrack to the beginning of the sentence just to highlight how rude they are. With really rude people, I'll let them finish, pause, and then ask mildly, "Are you done? Is it my turn to speak now?"

bluedana said:
I think I will produce a bumper sticker that says, "You are not smart enough to talk and drive at the same time. Hang up."

You mean New York is ahead of Massachusetts? :) It's illegal to use a phone while driving in New York. I'm sure people still do it though...

bluedana said:
My biggest pet peeve, though, is Being interrupted (and its classy cousin, Having someone finish my sentence). I'm very deliberate in my speech when it's important, and if someone starts talking over me, I'll backtrack to the beginning of the sentence just to highlight how rude they are. With really rude people, I'll let them finish, pause, and then ask mildly, "Are you done? Is it my turn to speak now?"

Great solution! My biggest interruption peeve is when someone first interrupts me to ask me to repeat what I'm saying, then after I start repeating myself, interrupts me again to say that they figured out what I said. I have developed a real hatred of repeating myself.

My peeve of the day is people who move out to a rural area and think that all the land around them is free for them to tramp over, throw trash on, etc. Don't bother asking who owns the land, don't bother asking permission to go walking, don't bother getting to know your neighbors--who own all the land around you. And who care about it.

Thanks for letting me vent that, guys.

People showing up late. I find it incredibly rude to be late on purpose. If someone got slowed down because of an accident or something like that I can understand. But to be late just to be late annoys me. I've never understood the reason for "fashionably late" either.

Crazy drivers on the road. More than once I had to pull a rabbit out of my hat to keep from being hit by someone who wasn't paying attention on the road.

The sound of cracking knuckles and joints. The sound creeps me out and I can't stand it.

Errowyn said:
People showing up late. I find it incredibly rude to be late on purpose. If someone got slowed down because of an accident or something like that I can understand. But to be late just to be late annoys me. I've never understood the reason for "fashionably late" either.

HAHAHA!! :roflmao:
You are all going to hate me then!! I'm always late (usually tagging 3 tired kids along and totally frazzled) However.. I figure... the party doesn't start until I get there anyway LOL!! only joking!:cheers

We actually just had those speeches, which is what I based the point of this thread on. We all had to do a pet peeve speech in speech class. Here's some of my favorites:

1. This was mine. People who play their car stereos too loudly.

2. People who take the center piece of gum in a pack of gum, making all the other pieces of gum fall apart.

3. Stores that put the holiday decorations up about three months before the actual holiday!

4. People who stand in doorways and talk, not letting others across.

5. The "know-it-alls" in class, who shout out all the answers, even when the teachers don't ask a question.

and the best one...

6. People who call kilts skirts. (He told us the reason they are called kilts is because that's what happened to the first person who called them skirts :lol)

Along the lines of no 3 above

Adverts that cry bargains for 'Back to School' before the Summer holidays have even started!

Along the lines of no 4 above...

People who stand and gossip in the supermarket aisles so that you can't get to the goods.
Oh and people in the 10 and under queue with a whole trolley load!
Not to mention those who wait until they've put every last item in their bags before remembering to rummage for their purse.

Being in the Military I have to say I hate people who think their job is their whole life. There is a whole world out side of work life doesn't revolve around your job.
I also dislike people who think the world owes them something just because they were born in a privileged/rich family.
I got a whole list but I will let someone else take it from here.

People who patronise you when you are trying to help.. I had a old bastard call me 'little girl' the other day at work when I went to do his eftpos card for him, he said 'I think I have done more than these that you have LITTLE GIRL' I could have decked him there on the spot!! As it turned out he used to own the shop I work in previous to the previous owners... never mind, he was still a patronising bastard!!

When people automatically assume that I'll draw or sew them something without asking me first.

I don't mind making costumes for people but you've got to ask me first. Nine times out of ten I can help a person out but I feel I should be asked first and not drafted into something. I try to keep what I make affordable for anyone and I work hard on what I make.

If I can't help someone out right away I can usually direct them to a person who can.

I'm sort of the geek in my school year so almost everybody comes to me to get answers for their work (sometimes even whisper to me during an exam). A couple of times during exams I've deliberately given people the wrong answers. Serves them right.

Sam's Crow said:
*sigh* I'm one moaning ***** aren't I?
Hey, the whole point of this thread was for people to moan and gripe.

Here's one. People who say that they are going to do something for me, and then "forgot"! If you say you are going to do something, but can't then just tell me that something came up. If it is not extremely important, then I'll understand. Also, if someone forgets something every once in a while, I can understand that. Or, if you really did forget, then apologize. This is what I hate:

One day

Person 1: Did you remember to get the milk you promised to get?

Person 2: Oh, I forgot. I'll pick it up later.

The next day

Person 1: You were at the store this morning. Did you pick up the milk?

Person 2: Oh, I forgot. Remind me to get it the next time I go to the store.

The next time he goes to the store

Person 1: Did you pick up the milk?

Person 2: Oh, I forgot... (Proceeds to get beaten with a sack of oranges)

Tail gaters. Mister, Ma'am, please get off my bumper and stop riding it. I realize there are things probably much more facinating than driving but rear ending me would not be good. It would cause my Dad to scream naughty words and then worry about if I were okay or not. That and it would cause the car to be rated a total which means my parents would have to go back and buy a new car with the insurance money. And then they'd proceed to sue said tail gater for causing the accident.

Then there's the tail gaters that think it's funny to ride your bumper in an effort to make you go faster. I end up annoying them because I just ignore them. After a while they get the hint and go around me.

Errowyn said:
Tail gaters. Mister, Ma'am, please get off my bumper and stop riding it.

:lol

I find that funny, because when I was first learning to drive, I was such a bad driver that I often tell people "old people would tailgate me and flip me off". True story, actually, which takes place in a three-way-intersection, but I'm not going to devulge further.

I once had a little old lady flip me off when I was driving...and I don't even know what I did! At the time it was surprising but now it amuses me.

My cure for tailgaters--drive slower. After all, it's unsafe to be close together at high speeds, so you're only improving safety for both cars, right? Usually they get the message and back off. If they're extremely close, I flash my brake lights at them. If they're that close, I will be really angry, and when they finally go flying by me... yeah, I will flip them off. (I'm not an old lady though! At least not yet.)

My appologies for griping. Mine lately is jaw pain. Some months ago I had to have two teeth pulled due to a nasty infection because of a cracked tooth. Along with having two teeth pulled part of my lower jaw had to be removed because the bone tissue was so badly infected.

The gum tissue is finally starting to settle. It's collapsing onto the bone and pulling away from a tooth. I realize it's all due to gravity but it hurts! All I can do is take Advil for the pain.

I just hate people who are really snotty and insulting for no reason. *Places index finger and tumb a couple of millimetres apart* I was this close to beating up and drowning this girl while we were doing swimming in PE.

Snish said:
My cure for tailgaters--drive slower.

hey that's exactly what I do! *high fives Snish*
Once or twice I actually stopped. Plus it doesn't make me feel like someone is pushing me around.

So yeah, it's

- people who think they can drive because they control the car well but don't know how to look after themselves and the other people on the road

- people not caring period. As in purposefully putting your short term advantage above causing something unpleasant or bad for someone else. I just don't get that.

- People who only look at the surface... ok you probably don't deeply bond with everyone you meet every day, but you know what I mean, being spoken to based on the way you happen to be dressed or have your hair that day and the situation not considering people might be more than meets the eye. Which is one of the things I like about QL. Sam has to deal with this all the time. :)

Yup.