Mirror Image Boycott.

Nothing

Project QL Intern
As I posted elsewhere, no doubt when the Region 2 version of season 5 is released, "Georgia On My Mind", amongst other songs, will be omitted from the soundtrack along with the Region 1 version.
But what's worse, it was on the Region 2 version of MIA! So when Sam leaps back we're going to have an obvious continuation flaw which will be worse than not having the song there in the first place!
Ok maybe I'm getting a little carried away with this, but lets face it, it's unlikely that we're going to get this re-issued in the future with original music intact.
I suggest, that while we possibly have still have time, that we voice our opinion on this in hopes of getting the original episodes. Universal and Playback gave us that to start with when it came to the first releases on Region 2, but have obviously opted to take the easier route of releasing the same material as in the U.S.
Let's let them know we won'nt buy it. Of course most of us will, but they don't have to know that.
The fly by Quantum Leap fans that probably added to their original sales on the Season One and Two releases have no doubt sold their boxsets on ebay and lost interest. All they have left are us. And we should be quick to point out that people outside of the U.K have bought the sets for the pure reason of them having the original music. We can threaten to cut their sales by half. Lets do this! I'm not in the habit of making a fuss about most things, and of course I have more important concerns, but for the sake of a series I have'nt stopped watching in nearly 20 years, I think it's worthwhile for one last effort to get what we want? Especially when we're forking out upto £35 for the half-assed attempt they're offering us..
So, a petition? Emails? If Al can find us the address lets get it going, before being dissapointed yet again in the last seconds of the greatest show ever!
P.s: if you have a myspace account join my Quantum Leap group there and we can do the same thing.. here's the link: http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=groups.groupProfile&groupID=103850500&Mytoken=0B1ACADA-0C76-4710-9559F43C1DC1CB231322080

Universal and Playback gave us that to start with when it came to the first releases on Region 2
You call that a start? The best season was the first one. Good quality of picture and sound. All songs intact. Season 2 at least had a good picture and sound quality. I tried that RC2 version, but I didn't like it. The picture was okay but the sound ... well, sounds like it was taken from the TV airing. And I missed the sub-titles. I lost my interest then and I spent my money in other DVDs.

My dream is a complete QL boxset with all seasons and intact music. But this would be kind of unfair to you guys. You bought the individual seasons (even though the music was replaced), you made those DVDs a success and people like me maybe benefit from it by getting a better box.

Actually, I'm fighting FOX at the moment because of that. :lol I bought the individual M*A*S*H seasons. They are not cut or replaced or anything but they lack some bonus material. And now FOX announced that big boxset with ... extra material. And I simply want to have one of those things without buying the first ten seasons again. At least I'm happy to get the bonus things.

I don't think the company cares about. The german fans of "Home Improvement" started a petition because Buena Vista decided not to release any other seasons of that show. We stopped at season 3. And it seems that BV gives a damn about what we fans think. :realmad

This all sounds good but to be honest, the only way that Universal Playback will release a complete QL boxset studded with extra goodies (The ultimate dream... aaaahhhh) will be if Season 5 sells extrondinarily well. But to be honest I know for a fact that most fans won't buy it because of music replacement... so you may hit a bad point on the start line there.

BTW: Yeah Universal's releases suck but will signing petitions really make them change a release? They're more likely to just not release Season 5 or completely scrap any othe release plans for a complete boxset. So sorry.
:(

I'm afraid whatever is done is done at this point. Threatening them will only lead to Universal not putting anything out for us anymore. They know we hate the music replacement - they just can't or won't afford to fix it.

May as well give up on this issue - it's a no-win. I guess I'm glad we even got QL on DVD at this point. The Wonder Years (one of the greates series of all time IMO) will likely never see the light of day due to music issues.

Sorry if this bursts anyone's bubble!

alsplacebartender said:
I'm afraid whatever is done is done at this point. Threatening them will only lead to Universal not putting anything out for us anymore. They know we hate the music replacement - they just can't or won't afford to fix it.

May as well give up on this issue - it's a no-win. I guess I'm glad we even got QL on DVD at this point. The Wonder Years (one of the greates series of all time IMO) will likely never see the light of day due to music issues.

Sorry if this bursts anyone's bubble!
Yeah I agree. They put out half assed quality dvd sets not because they can't but because they won't. they don't care, they just care about getting the dvds out so that we are happy and get off thier backs. So a potition would do us no good especially because its way too late, seasons one through four are already out and seaons five already in the making, so what can they change now?

So sorry dude but as Sam told Tom about Vietnam, you are fighting for a hopeless cause.

A valid point, I realized right after posting the thread that the R2 sets will no doubt be in production already if they're being released in a couple of months. It's still damn annoying nevertheless.
Universal are responsible for issuing the Miami Vice box sets also. Imagine what would happen if they cut out music from that series?? There'd be an uproar from fans. That show's based on music and style. But ours, which is all heart, well we get the rough end of the deal...

Nothing said:
As I posted elsewhere, no doubt when the Region 2 version of season 5 is released, "Georgia On My Mind", amongst other songs, will be omitted from the soundtrack along with the Region 1 version.

I'm quite happy to say that you're wrong about this one (for the Region 1 version, at least). I found it interesting that Sam's name is still spelled incorrectly in the final epilogue ("Dr. Sam Becket never returned home"), as I thought that was only the case in the syndicated versions.

I also could have sworn that the opening credits in the original airing of "Mirror Image" used Season 2's opening as opposed to Season 3's on the DVD. My mind may very well be playing tricks on me there, though.

The original airing of Mirror Image did have an older title sequence with the original music. Not sure which season. Note MI had no saga cell. It leaped right into the bar. It I have the original on tape somewhere.

Aren't there quite a few deleted scenes that could have been reinserted into Mirror Image?

of course they could have inserted more but they didn't. good thing they kept georgia on my mind however it was very insulting to read "dr. sam becket never leaped home." the nerve! beckett with one t! what a tragedy. almost made me cry as much as i was when i have seen trilogy 3 everyday since i bought the dvd set.

laestrella said:
of course they could have inserted more but they didn't. good thing they kept georgia on my mind however it was very insulting to read "dr. sam becket never leaped home." the nerve! beckett with one t! what a tragedy. almost made me cry as much as i was when i have seen trilogy 3 everyday since i bought the dvd set.

It is annoying that they couldn't even spell Sam's name right.

Just do what I do: think about how the end of Mirror Image said that Dr. Sam Becket-with-one-t never went home. It never said anything about the leaping Dr. Sam Beckett-with-two-t's not going home!

Okay, so that's not exactly comforting, but it's all that's keeping me sane at the moment.

feldon30 said:
The original airing of Mirror Image did have an older title sequence with the original music. Not sure which season. Note MI had no saga cell. It leaped right into the bar. It I have the original on tape somewhere.

I have a theory as to why Universal screwed this up... The original theme and Season 2 title sequence was shown during "Mirror Image's" original airing because of popular demand by fans for the original theme. (As Don Bellisario says in one of the convention videos on this site.) Since "Mirror Image" had already been filmed, perhaps the Season 5 music and title sequence were already included as part of the episode, but Bellisario had NBC alter the title sequence after the fact during its broadcast.

It seems Universal was aware that there was a change, but didn't know exactly how NBC originally aired the episode, and therefore played a bit of a guessing game as to which title sequence went with the original music. So basically, I'm thinking the title sequence change was specially done by NBC and not on the actual film for the episode itself. Universal might have had to do their own modification just like NBC did to reflect the original change...

Last edited:
At Least in His Original Universe

Okay...it is canon that "Dr. Sam Beckett Never returned home." Canon can't be broken but it can be bent.

I wrote the following fanfic sometime back but it fits the conversation now. Thinking of things this way helps (a little.) If you've already seen it, and haven't provided feedback somewhere, I'd love to hear what you think.

NEVER
"Dr. Sam Beckett Never Returned Home." A consideration of what that means...

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2995691/1/

It's hard for me to consider it Canon since it doesn't appear in any of the scripts. It was a last-minute tack-on.

If I were producing a scripted drama, it would be part of my contract with the network or other broadcast medium that a finale episode is budgeted and that a timeslot is reserved for it. So many shows have had unsatisfying endings because the networks wait until the last moment to cancel the show, providing no time for producers to have any closure.

it's very obvious by watching the 12th and 13th episodes of season 1 of the hugely popular show "24" that a 13 episode package was ordered and that's what was scripted and filmed. Only when it was clear that the show would be picked up for a full season did the writers get back together and create the last 11 episodes. The 12th and 13th episodes are basically a 2-parter ending in case the show was cancelled. The 13th episode has enough of an "ending" that if the show had been cancelled, they could have left the last 5 minutes off without hurting the feelings of any fans.

It's hard for me to consider it Canon since it doesn't appear in any of the scripts. It was a last-minute tack-on.

I would tend to agree except that it was a tack-on by the creator of the show. It's his creation so what he does with it is canon. Until he choses to do something different, then we have the third black screen. Could Bellasario have had something in the wings to use...sure he could have. He didn't and basically just messed over Sam by saying he never came home.

On the QL CD he says that Sam is still out there leaping so at least we have that. Maybe if he ends up coming to the 2009 convention, he'll give us something we can hang our hat on. Sam should come home someday.

I know there are those who say that he was just wanting to leave open the possibility, hoping that the outrage of the fans would bring the show back. If that's what he was looking for, he shouldn't have used NEVER. I don't have a problem that everything wasn't tied up in a neat little bow...but still, the way this show ended was a travesty.

Last edited:
I'll have to agree with Helen that the ending still is canon regardless of whether it was scripted or adjusted at the last minute. Throughout the series, there are countless dubbings in many episodes (some were there to correct the actors' mistakes with lines; others were there to change what the script originally said). The point being that what ends up in the final cut of the episode is canon, not what was originally written. At least in my view...