Problem with links

Sherdran

Project QL Intern
May 6, 2004
Louisiana
I just upgraded to Windows XP, Home Edition this past week (I won't froth about the other problems I've had with it [better my foot!]), but I've just discovered that when I use IE and come here, when I click on the link to go to the VS Messageboard or the OR Messageboard...or any of them, when that window opens all I get is a blank page. (This doesn't happen when I use Netscape Communicator [for whatever reason, I can get Netscape to work anymore]).

Okay, I know it's not earth-shaking....just annoying as all get out. So can anyone give me a simple (we're talking A-B-C's, here people) of how to fix this...if it's fixable?

Thanks,

Eleiece

Re: Problems with link

Brian, you can't believe how much I wish now that I'd NEVER done this upgrade!
If it wouldn't cost me (too much) to have Windows 98 reinstalled on my computer
(I'm not saavy in the remotest way as to think of doing it myself), I'd do it in a
New York second, and then return XP to the store, and send Microsoft the
'nasty' gram I composed yesterday while frothing at the mouth after my computer
rebooted for the umpteeenth time that day!

I've NEVER had a problem like this in my pre-XP computer days. Long live Windows 98!

Okay..... rant over. Time to wander off to the Land of Nod.

Eleiece

Personally, I think Windows 98 is dreadful! It has more bugs than any other OS I've had the misfortune to use.
However, I will agree that XP Home is a pita.
Windows 2k would be more reliable for your needs Eleiece.
I wish I lived closer, I could probably come and sort you out in short order, but long distance diagnostics are remarkably unreliable.

The simplest solution to all these problems?

Get a Mac!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I hope you get sorted out soon.
One suggestion would be to make sure you have all the latest patches from the Windows Update site, and that includes the latest version of IE.
I would also caution you - rebooting at frequent intervals in XP is often a sign of the Naatchi virus, which is a real nasty one. If you have that, XP will have to go - at work I had to revert 30 machines from XP Pro to W2K when they got infected.

I've found that unless you have a computer that was built specifically to run XP (like all the new Dells we've upgraded to at school), you will have problems *galore*. My stepbro installed XP on our downstairs computer--5 years old, only a 533 Mhz processor--and it runs *slow*... so slow, in fact, that many times, we give up and just go upstairs and kick off whoever's on the upstairs computer.

We upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows ME on the upstairs computer, and it works great.

I have no idea what relevance this post has to the topic, but I just thought I'd add my own two-cents.

Joy

We have a very wide variety of computer users here to be sure. Everyone has their own system, browser preference, etc. A surprisingly large percentage of visitors use the Mozilla browser but most are using Internet Explorer. Did you know we get visitors from Iceland, Australia, Germany, and even Israel?

The battle between Mac and PC will rage till the end of time. Macs appear to be more stable but you can do less with a mac than you can a PC at this time. More software, games, etc are made for PC than mac.

The best OS on a PC in my opinion is Windows 98 SE. Very few problems with it myself. Windows ME and Win2K were the worst for me. Crashes and burns every day. I hear mixed reviews on XP. Some love it! Some hate it. Like Joy says, it depends on the machine you have. A well-built PC can kick a Mac's butt. (I built mine hee hee). If you load a bunch of junk programs onto any machine, it's gonna run badly. The best thing is to get an operating system you are familiar with on a machine that supports it the best. Be sure to do your homework before buying any upgrades or even a new computer. Dell and Microsoft tend to clash so that's not the best combination in most cases.

Like you said, Brian, everybody has their own experiences and their own preferences, and I think on balance that is a good thing, it would be a dreadfully dull world if everybody liked the same things.
So I ain't gonna get into a fight wit ya over Macs vs PC's, but I do take exception to the
A well-built PC can kick a Mac's butt.
concept.
I have built my share of PC's in my time, both for home and work (school use is pretty demanding), and I wouldn't swap any of them for my trusty Mac.
There is virtually nothing a PC can claim over one these days, more and more games are available, and with the availability of virtual PC in any OS (95 to XP) for the Mac for those who want the best of both worlds, the excuses for avoiding Macs are dwindling.
It is interesting how preconceptions and prejudices work in school. My husband runs two computer rooms at his school, which happily mix Mac and PC on the same network.
Often pupils, especially the older ones, rush to the PCs cos "We can't get on with the Macs, we don't understand them."
Yet they happily use the towers, not realizing that they too are Mac machines. Because they look like PCs, they accept them as PCs.
The younger pupils all prefer the Mac machines.
But I'll get off my soap box now and echo your suggestion that if Eleiece can't get any joy with Netscape, she should try downloading Mozilla, or Firebird.

Okay, now I have an explanation, and my opinion of Windows XP just took another nosedive.

A guy came to our office today to set up a scanner for us and while he was here, I talked to him about the problems with my home computer. Turns out that the incessant reboots, etc. are all compliments of the MS Blaster worm. He said that it gets in through a "hole" in XP, even with Norton Anti-Virus 2004 loaded on the computer.

So now I'm taking the computer back to the shop tomorrow to have that GARBAGE removed and a fresh copy of Windows 98 loaded.

I have learned my lesson about XP! Never, never, never, never!

Later! :)

Eleiece

Re: Comment

I've had Windows 98 on my computer for nearly 4 years and never had a minute of trouble getting into VS or any other site that I wanted to get into. It was only until I had the "brilliant" ........NOT!.... idea to upgrade. No, I'm going back to what worked for me. That also means that my computer will be in the shop for about 2 days. So be it. :)

Eleiece

Blank pop ups

:bat

Eleice,

The Rod says that the problem you are experiencing is due to your version of Internet Explorer.

If you install IE6SP1 that will resolve it.

As far as He is concerned, XP sucks. The reason this issue started was because XP uses IE6, but an unpatched version. When you reinstall 98, install IE6SP1, it has various security patches that will prevent the spread of the viruses.

He supposes this post proves He is still good for something at least.

Re: Blank pop ups

Rod,

I dropped the computer off this morning. This IE6SP1 ... can I download it off the 'Net once I get the computer back?

Eleiece