The Challenger has been destroyed... all hands lost

mstalanon

Project QL Intern
Apr 30, 2002
Independence, MO
Sad to say, the Challenger shuttle has broken up re-entering the atmosphere.

All hands are lost.

Please remember those seven brave souls and their families.

Matt ----- signing off

This is so sad, I watched it on the news at 10 this evening.

But what makes things really bad is the vultures. Even as early as this afternoon (morning your time in US) they were selling pieces of the wreckage on Ebay.

Man, I mean it's sick, what some people will do to make a profit.

Sue

Touching or even moving pieces of shuttle wreckage is potentially dangerous due to toxic fumes and chemicals that may be on some debris... not to mention a United States Federal offense.

I'm sure the vultures will get what's coming to them. They are selling property that belongs to the U.S. government.

That is just sick...you are right, Sue.

You know, there were jerks who did the same thing on 9/11.

People trying to keep wreckage from the Twin Towers and trying to sell them as "mementos." Those people should have been dragged out into the street and shot. You're right, Sue. It disgusts me to see how low some people will stoop in times of tragedy.

Damon

The Columbia and The Seven Angels

My heart is broken once again. I'll have to put this day in my memory box of heartbreak. Always to know the answer to "where were you when Columbia blow up?". Unfortunately my memory box is filling up; the day Challanger was destroyed; Sept. 11, 2001. It worries me to think about what in the future I'll be adding to this miserable collection.

I can only say one thing about the 7 beautiful souls lost on Columbia. They were lucky in one sense. Wouldn't we all like to think that we could be doing our greatest hearts desire when we are ultimately called by G/T/F/Whatever. They died not on the plant they called home or in the one place (space) that they had strived for all their lives but in between the two.

We must keep on with the business of exploration. That is one of the things that make us human. Ever striving, ever pushing the gray boarders of the unknown. But let us as a people and a nation, strive to keep them ever safer but also excepting the knowledge that no exploration of any kind will not require risk. That makes the 7 that were lost all the more brave, because they knew and except the knowledge that some would be lost in the persuit of knowledge.

Well that's about it. My 2 cents.

--Anna--

Are they really trying to auction off pieces of the Columbia shuttle on EBay? If it's true, it is pretty sick, but you just can't believe everything you read on the Net. What kind of person would actually try to buy something like that?!

Capitalizing on others' misfortunes is disgusting. It happens all the time with book deals and lurid movies of the week.

Dman, there were two guys from Maine who came back with alleged "debris" from the World Trade Center disaster. They were prosecuted. It made me sick.

I had to let you guys know this though....

The other day while I was taking one of my sons to a birthday party we were listening to the radio about the shuttle. They began to talk about how Reagan spoke about Challenger in 1986. For a long time, my son, who is 6 about to be 7 years old was quiet.

I turned to look at him and he had a very calm look on his face and then he nodded. He turned to me and said, "Momma, those people died in the space shuttle."

I said, "Yeah, baby, they did."

It once again fell quiet in the car for a brief moment then he reached over and touched my hand and said, "It's okay, momma, they're touching God's face now."

Although it was simple enough said... by almost seven year old... it's true. They aren't in pain... and they aren't suffering either. It's amazing what kids can come up with... don't you think???

MJ

Yeah, it is

It's amazing sometimes the way a child sees the world, and how we can rediscover our innocence, just a little, by bringing ourselves down to that level.