Old 10-25-2022, 09:04 AM   #1
Spartan83
Control Room Technician
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 116
Default What happened to "Centre me On"?.....

It took over half the episode for them to find a lead on where Jason could be whereas in the original QL Al would request to Ziggy "centre me on" whoever he was searching for.

That was 1995 supposed QL technology and should be a feature on this 2022 version.

Seems as though the tech has regressed in 2022.
__________________
Spartan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:58 AM   #2
M.I.A
PQL Visitor
 
M.I.A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan83 View Post
It took over half the episode for them to find a lead on where Jason could be whereas in the original QL Al would request to Ziggy "centre me on" whoever he was searching for.

That was 1995 supposed QL technology and should be a feature on this 2022 version.

Seems as though the tech has regressed in 2022.
I'd hazard a guess that 'centering on' someone works only once they've got a 'lock' on that person, or have an idea of their co-ordinates or something.

Though having said that, there are definitely times where Al asked for it, and was then surprised/shocked at where the person was. So... maybe it's similar to how the technology works for tracking Sam, only without the mesons/neurons connection he and Al share. I'm wildly speculating now 😂
__________________
M.I.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
Spartan83
Control Room Technician
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.I.A View Post
I'd hazard a guess that 'centering on' someone works only once they've got a 'lock' on that person, or have an idea of their co-ordinates or something.

Though having said that, there are definitely times where Al asked for it, and was then surprised/shocked at where the person was. So... maybe it's similar to how the technology works for tracking Sam, only without the mesons/neurons connection he and Al share. I'm wildly speculating now 😂

Very ambiguous again or just lazy from the new QL 2022 team.

I remember specific episodes where Sam asks Al to go check up on individuals i.e Al on the kids in the KKK episode or on Machiko after being kidnapped by Rusty and again Tamlyn being dragged up to the roof by Ross in Tempation eyes.

Whether "centre me on" is the same as locking onto somebody I'm not 100% but I would think once Al finds Sam he can then centre on anyone in that vicinity (depending on range)

Confused
__________________
Spartan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #4
tina_als_girl
PQL Security Staff
 
tina_als_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 769
Default

Someone on Reddit said maybe Al can only "center on" someone other than Sam after they've interacted with Sam.

That would explain the eps you mention. Al checking on the kids: Sam had already interacted with Ada, and she's there with the children. Machiko: Sam had already interacted with Machiko and Rusty. Tamlyn: already interacted with Tamlyn and Ross.

Now I wish this had been a thread before I did my recent binge rewatch of the show, 'cause then I could've noted the times when Al centered on people. Well, I do have to start my screencapping project, so I'll look for it as I skim the eps.
__________________

tina_als_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 06:21 PM   #5
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan83 View Post
Very ambiguous again or just lazy from the new QL 2022 team.
It does appear that in the writers' efforts to upgrade the tech, some aspects such as the waiting room and this were forgotten but considering the "center me on--" concept was unclear and inconsistent in the original as well this one can be forgiven.

The most consistent it seemed was that, in general, the individuals Al "centered on" were Sam's vicinity.
i.e in 'Another Mother', Al did not center himself on Kevin in the back of the creepers' van until Sam was driving right behind it.
There were various ranges, but I don't believe they ever exceeded a few miles.

Ergo it's plausible that it's limited to the leaper's vacinity and that Jason's location in Oakland, a whole other city would have been too far out of Ben's range. I don't recall if we ever saw Al achieve that much distance.
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 01:49 AM   #6
Spartan83
Control Room Technician
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 116
Default

It's also odd we do not see Addisson appear/disappear to Ben like Al did with Sam. Examples of everytime Sam asked Al to go on ahead and then report back to him.

Also, in most of these new episodes Addison just strolls into the picture like she has been there for hours only alerting Ben by shouting "Ben" LOL. Ben called her up on this in the Boxing episode but it would differentiate her as a hologram if she appeared/disappeared more or here's an idea, when she leaves the imaging chamber ......... a sliding door perhaps

As has been said before if you didnt know as a viewer you'd think she walked into the scene back from a toilet break.

Very jarring as a fan of the show.
__________________

Last edited by Spartan83; 10-27-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Spartan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 06:10 PM   #7
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan83 View Post
It's also odd we do not see Addisson appear/disappear to Ben like Al did with Sam. Examples of everytime Sam asked Al to go on ahead and then report back to him.

Also, in most of these new episodes Addison just strolls into the picture like she has been there for hours only alerting Ben by shouting "Ben" LOL. Ben called her up on this in the Boxing episode but it would differentiate her as a hologram if she appeared/disappeared more or here's an idea, when she leaves the imaging chamber ......... a sliding door perhaps

As has been said before if you didnt know as a viewer you'd think she walked into the scene back from a toilet break.

Very jarring as a fan of the show.
That can be attributed to tech upgrades. The hologram tech is well established to be drastically different and more assessable than in the original.
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 06:39 PM   #8
Spartan83
Control Room Technician
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
That can be attributed to tech upgrades. The hologram tech is well established to be drastically different and more assessable than in the original.
Tech upgrades would make sense and explain Addison appearing into scenes seamlessly (hologram wise) but it fails to address how she cannot "centre on" characters like Al used to.

Hopefully they address it as season goes on.
__________________
Spartan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 04:13 AM   #9
Lightning McQueenie
Junior Leaper
 
Lightning McQueenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
It does appear that in the writers' efforts to upgrade the tech, some aspects such as the waiting room and this were forgotten but considering the "center me on--" concept was unclear and inconsistent in the original as well this one can be forgiven.

The most consistent it seemed was that, in general, the individuals Al "centered on" were Sam's vicinity.
i.e in 'Another Mother', Al did not center himself on Kevin in the back of the creepers' van until Sam was driving right behind it.
There were various ranges, but I don't believe they ever exceeded a few miles.

Ergo it's plausible that it's limited to the leaper's vacinity and that Jason's location in Oakland, a whole other city would have been too far out of Ben's range. I don't recall if we ever saw Al achieve that much distance.
Actually, Another Mother is the perfect example of how the person does NOT have to be in the vacinity of Sam - earlier in the episode, Al was sent by Sam to spy on Kevin at school to try to find out what he was going through.

The better theory is that Al can follow anyone, but only after Sam has interacted with them...
__________________
Lightning McQueenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2000 - 2016 Al's Place Quantum Leap Fan Site | 4.8.15.16.23.42