"Calculator" Handlink in Development

feldon30

Forum Technician
Jul 13, 2005
SC
Following up on the Gummy Bear Handlink replica I designed the electronics for and co-produce with Replica Props -- and which Deborah Pratt now owns 2 of -- we are now working on the Calculator Handlink. We are incredibly fortunate to have access to the screen-used Calculator Handlink as we were able to get in contact with the collector who bought it. He's been tremendously helpful in providing us with photos, videos, accurate dimensions, etc. so we can produce the most screen-accurate prop possible.

Here are some YouTube videos of our progress so far:

Changing the text on the Calculator Handlink using a cell phone over Bluetooth:

Feldon30,I have to compliment you again for bringing another piece of Quantum Leap technology to life and within reach of fans of the show! This looks incredible so far and I cant wait to see the completed device. While the "gummy bear" handlink is my personal favorite I will definitely buy one of these too. Any chance you guys will also make a replica of Al's star badge?

So Al's star badge has been something on my agenda for a while. In trying to figure out what it is, it's our theory that it may have been something sold at one time at Spencer Gifts or other novelty store. I'm trying to learn more. In the meantime I have some ideas on how to manufacture it.

So Al's star badge has been something on my agenda for a while. In trying to figure out what it is, it's our theory that it may have been something sold at one time at Spencer Gifts or other novelty store. I'm trying to learn more. In the meantime I have some ideas on how to manufacture it.

You’re right! It was indeed something sold in stores at one time. On my old computer I had a photo of a store display that someone sold on eBay that showed the star badge amongst all sorts of other badges that lit up with different designs. Unfortunately it was a completed listing so I wasn’t able to buy it. that computer crashed 8 years or so ago. I still have it but don’t know how to pull the photos off the hard drive. If I run across any photos or info or find an original badge I would be happy to send photos of it to you so you can make the most accurate reproductions of it you can.
As a fan of this show since it came out,I just want you to know that I truly appreciate the hard work you and replica props have put into bringing these pieces into reality. I will definitely buy one of these “calculator” handlinks once they become available too.
Once you finish Al’s badge I’ll have to see if I can talk you into making a working replica of the the time machine from the show! You’ll need to make it possible to return home though
. Lol

Just listened to the Quantum Leap Podcast video interview with Deborah Pratt again and at 55:40 she says that she bought a bunch of the star badges for everybody on the show one year, so yeah it was a commercially available thing. Unfortunately long gone but I'll see if we can produce one.

Glad to see this version is coming to fruition! It's also great to know it's being modeled and designed off of the actual prop. Better off having the replica with modern electronics and sound effects since those were only added in post production during the series. Can't wait for this to be ready. I already have the Gummi Bear prop (#93).