Positive thoughts please

leaper1

PQL Security Staff
Staff member
Sep 1, 2002
Bedford, England
Can I ask you all for your positive thoughts and pixie dust for my daughter Becky, please.
She is taking her driving test at 11.11am (British time) for the fourth time, and we are really hoping that she will make it this time.

Not to start a political discussion, but some American drivers may be concerned/surprised that it took 4 driver's tests to pass a test in Europe.

The driver's test in most American states can be done by studying the rulebook and about 10 hours of practical driving experience. A driver's license issued from the typical American DMV office is about as much proof of a person's ability to drive as a voting card is proof of a person's ability to vote! :)

I am not familiar with the requirements of licensing in the UK, but acquiring a driver's license in Germany is a real challenge. Many hours of study in an expensive ($500-1000) driver's education course are required and the test is very difficult. I believe the practical test requires demonstrating evasive maneuvers at speed.

Over here the test is in two parts.

You have to pass a theory exam (which she did first time) before you are allowed to sit your practical. If you don't pass the practical within something like 2 years you have to sit the theory again. (Both carry a fee of about £50)

There is at present no minimum number of formal lessons, though I believe there is a proposal to bring one in. Your instructor has discretion to decide when you are ready. (Lessons average £20 a time)

The practical test allows you a certain number of 'minor' errors, but one rated 'major' or too many 'minors' and you fail.

It sometimes seems as if it depends what mood the examiner wakes up in as to whether something counts as minor or major!

Fingers crossed now for our son Robert, who takes his test for the second time on the 26th Jan.

Last edited: