Old 06-28-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
Aphelion
PQL Visitor

Default Season 4 R2 "Liberation" Video Quality

I live in the US, but I purchase my QL DVDs from the UK to get around the music replacement issues. Just got S4 in the mail today, popped in the bonus ep "Liberation", and right away I noticed the video quality is horrible. The picture is jittery and choppy and plain unwatchable. The actual S4 episodes, however, play fine, same quality as my other sets. So my question is: Has anyone else (particularly a US fan playing R2 sets on a region free player) noticed this with the bonus ep too? My DVD player is normally set for film transfer, and I tried other settings (video and auto) but there was no difference. This can only mean two things. Either:

a) Universal slapped a bad transfer of "Liberation" onto the set.

or

b) Season 5 was shot on a different film stock and if I buy the eventual box set in Region 2, all the episodes could play this bad and I'll be screwed.

Question: Are there actually any oldies in S5 besides the Elvis ep that will be replaced in the US set? I can't even remember any of the music from this season.

Thanks,
Aphelion
Old 06-30-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
ziggysego
Observer's Aid

I haven't got that fair yet in the DVD Aphelion. I like to watch them in order. Usually one or two episodes per nights. Depending on how tired I am. Only got as far as Temptations Eyes. However I'll stick in Liberation later today and test the quality and give up an update then.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:06 AM   #3
ziggysego
Observer's Aid

Had a look at Liberation for you there now. The quality appears to be 100% for me. I may be because you are watching a R2 DVD on a R1 DVD player. However, I guess that wouldn't explain why the rest of the episodes on the DVDs are playing correctly.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
The_P_Man
PQL Visitor

Maybe try cleaning your DVD with car polish. It works. Doesn't get rid of the scratches much, but it does make the DVD play 100%.

The_P_Man
Old 09-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #5
laestrella
Control Room Technician

thanks P Man wondering how i could get Butterfly Effect nice and neat...
David North: Miss it?
Logan: Right about now I am.
laestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
Namaste
Waiting Room Visitor

Car polish eh? I'll have to try that out, my third season disc 5 has a huge smear on it and makes the episodes jump. I didn't know what to try, now I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tip.
in that place in you and I am in that place in me...

we are one!
' Ram Dass
Namaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
The_P_Man
PQL Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaste
Car polish eh? I'll have to try that out, my third season disc 5 has a huge smear on it and makes the episodes jump. I didn't know what to try, now I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tip.
No problem. It has worked for me everytime, I actually got the tip online. I currently use turtle wax, but i'm sure it's about the same thing. I'll probably get a laugh about not knowing if turtle wax and car polish is the same thing or not, but I don't care. Don't use the stuff much but on DVDs anyway

The_P_Man