Old 10-25-2022, 05:01 AM   #26
Spartan83
Control Room Technician

Tonight's episode was ground breaking in more ways than one ( pardon the pun ) with this being originally planned as the 1st episode before reshoots we can see there was a huge budget both in set and effects.

The story was engaging and interesting also.

Turned out a great episode, I would put this up there as the best so far along with the Atlantis space episode. It was actually refreshing to watch an episode where the leap was different and hadn't been done before with Sam along with the Space episode and had context and real character growth from Ben.

We are also seeing that as Sam had an emotional attachment to his father during his leaps through time we will now be seeing Ben with his mum, the phonecall at the end a callback to Sams episode in Genesis.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:39 AM   #27
feldon30
Forum Technician

My favorite so far is the boxing episode. And to me, the fact there are two boxing episodes is the only similarity.

In the original, Sam wasn't actually in shape to box, was going to throw the fight for a mob boss, was doing all this to support a church. The spiritual center of the story was helping the church.

In the new one, Ben was 100% in shape to box, but the story is about his brother who has PTSD from Vietnam and is lashing out at everyone and on the road to ending his own life. The spiritual center of the story was helping his brother. The boxing was in service to that and the win was not a surprise.
Old 10-25-2022, 02:42 PM   #28
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
My favorite so far is the boxing episode. And to me, the fact there are two boxing episodes is the only similarity.

In the original, Sam wasn't actually in shape to box, was going to throw the fight for a mob boss, was doing all this to support a church. The spiritual center of the story was helping the church.

In the new one, Ben was 100% in shape to box, but the story is about his brother who has PTSD from Vietnam and is lashing out at everyone and on the road to ending his own life. The spiritual center of the story was helping his brother. The boxing was in service to that and the win was not a surprise.
Agreed 100%.
I appreciate that while some of the same premises and ideas are being used, the executions are unique and feel independent from the original.

The same could be said of the old west episode.
Both hosts were elder former gunslingers with legends surrounding them and expected to dust off their long-retired guns but while Sam's leap revolved around an old rivalry that threatened his host's reputation and he had to avoid the duel to save his host's life, Ben's leap didn't revolve around the host, but the town, rescuing a town of refuge to outcasts from ruin and the reason for his opposition was pacifism.
Ben was also in the legit old west due to his breaking the lifetime barrior whereas Sam was in a mock old west town.

To be honest, the original always has been one of my least favorite eps, I prefer Ben's, it was far more in depth and took the theme more seriously.

I also find the flip that now instead of the leaper, it's the hologram who has medical experience/expertise interesting. Ben's need for instruction from Addison vs. Sam's MD allowing him to administer medical treatment himself is a new and interesting challenge and another form of using something from the original in a unique manner as Al was in the military as well, but it was his personal life experience that most often served Sam with a focus on the generation gap.

EDIT: Ironic to last night's episode, right when I sent this post a 5.1 earthquake hit, one of the biggest I've ever felt that I can remember.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by Sam Beckett Fan; 10-25-2022 at 09:43 PM.
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote