Music replacement issues on the DVD's

asearcher

Project QL Intern
Jul 1, 2005
I have a friend that I've borrowed the DVD's from. They've been great but I want my own collection. I've put them at the top of my list so we'll see.

I did want to ask though...there are a number of Official VHS of single episodes with many selling on Ebay all the times. Was the music situation better on the VHS releases? Are there some VHS realeases that are better than the DVD version?

Just Wondering.

Last edited by a moderator:
McDuck said:
Hands down, MIA. :cry

MIA, most definitely. I can "put up" with the rest of the music replacements but changing the music in MIA changed the whole story as the music was part of the story.

Therefore, I'm saving my nickels and pennies and I'm going to buy the R2 releases. Just got to make sure that the DVD player that I bought will hack to region 2 without a hitch, first. :stormtroo

Al's Handlink said:
MIA was the one that made me the angriest, but I was also mad about the replacments in Good Morning Pioria

Okay, "Good Morning, Peoria" was also a travesty without the original music. But at least the changes didn't effect the actual story, though it ruined the "feel" of the story. The music changes in "MIA" just changed the story completely, because each piece of music was telling the viewer little hints to what was going on with Al.

Kat

I don't notice the music changes at all, really. With the exception of MIA, they're aren't really that noticeable to me. I wasn't old enough to watch them when they originally aired, and I was at an age where I didn't recognize the songs or bothered to remember what they were and where they were in the eps. Even now, when I watched then on TV, I couldnt remember what song went to what scene in which ep, so when I hear it on the DVD it's like that's how it normally was. This is all excluding MIA which is completely noticeable and intolerable.

Samantha Beckett

Okay, "Good Morning, Peoria" was also a travesty without the original music. But at least the changes didn't effect the actual story, though it ruined the "feel" of the story. The music changes in "MIA" just changed the story completely, because each piece of music was telling the viewer little hints to what was going on with Al.

See, In good Morning Peoria, I seem to remember some scenes where they replace the Rock and Roll for a Rock and Roll Radio station and replacing it with that Cheesy Elevator Musak. That's just wrong

Al's Handlink said:
See, In good Morning Peoria, I seem to remember some scenes where they replace the Rock and Roll for a Rock and Roll Radio station and replacing it with that Cheesy Elevator Musak. That's just wrong

They did. And it is wrong, in my opinion. But it really didn't change the story, just the feel. Whereas, changing MIA DID change the story drastically because the music was telling some of the story.

Kat

Gripes about music replacement on the DVD's

I wrote emails to Universal Studios Home Video for Quantum Leap The Complete Fourth Season on DVD will have all original music, because I think that this season has important music like the song "I want to know what love is" by Foreigner in the episode "Temptation Eyes".

I think that if all fans of Quantum Leap write emails to Universal for that they put all original music,put extras like interviews,behind scenes,bloopers on DVD maybe they do it.:hurray:

i hope you are right David, i love "I Wanna Know What Love Is" and the episode Temptation Eyes. and season 5 had really important music so hopfully it will be kept in tact as well.

welcome to the group.

I have to say I hope they would, but given that they stripped GEORGIA ON MY MIND from MIA it does not bode well.

McDuck said:
I have to say I hope they would, but given that they stripped GEORGIA ON MY MIND from MIA it does not bode well.

:realmad :realmad :realmad That is blasphemy what they did with MIA!!:realmad :realmad :realmad

The region 2 dvds will have the music intact, so that will prolly be the best way to go. Sending mass emails to Universal is a great idea in theory, but we've learned that its Universal's pasttime to screw with out minds, and tick us off when it comes to the music and special features. They'll just read them, burst out laughing, then hit delete. Plus, in region 1, copyright issues with some music is the problem at hand...but its not like Universal cant shell out for the rights. *grumble*

Samantha Beckett

Well,maybe Universal Studios put all original music because the have a lot of time to put it.Quantum Leap The Complete Third Season Region 1 released on May 10th 2005 and Quantum Leap The Complete Fourth Season Region 1 will be release on March 28th 2006 10 months after.I think that this time is enough for obtain the rights of all music.They should put all original music for respect to all fans.:)

McDuck said:

THEY'VE STRIPPED GEORGIA ON MY MIND FROM M.I.A.????????????
That's one of the most touching moments in any QL episode. haven't got that far in the DVD's yet buy now i'm Seriously p'd off.

Pbryant_knight said:
THEY'VE STRIPPED GEORGIA ON MY MIND FROM M.I.A.????????????
That's one of the most touching moments in any QL episode. haven't got that far in the DVD's yet buy now i'm Seriously p'd off.

HAHA, add one more to the "pissed off about MIA" list! Welcome to the club! Again, we've got jackets...

Not only did they take out Georgia on my Mind, they replaced it with crappy, horrible elevator muzak which ruins the whole tone of the scene. Whoever at Universal made the final decision to take it out needs to be taken out back and :shoot!! *grumble grumble :realmad:realmad:censored:realmad:realmad grumble grumble*

Samantha Beckett

agreed and another song that they stripped from MIA that was sooo perfect was Unchained Melody by the Rightchous Brothers. the lyrics are sooo perfect for the moment. when i found out that it was in the orginal aring instead of that damn elevator crapola, i was like OMG, they cut that out!
i mean come on people if we wanted to listen to elevator crapola then would would sit in an elevator!:censored

this is why i just know that they are gonna strip "I wanna know what love is" from Temptation eyes, and its going to seriously gonna piss me off:censored:censored

oh well, at least i'll still have my dud version.

Why are they doing this with the music situation?

When they first released the Videos in the UK i avidly bought the Pilot and placed an order for the rest of them, only to find out that they were only releasing selected episodes and a total of 6 videos, which i bought anyway. i found out this was to do with the rights to certain music within the episodes. i have all the episodes recorded on video from when they were first aired in the UK (although not very good quality as there was no Cable in the UK at that point, in fact i remember for one episode i held the aerial in a certain position above my head for 45 minutes to get a better picture). because of this I chose not to buy the DVD's in case they stopped halfway through or something. as it seemed like they were going to be releasing them all, i bought seasons 1-3 for chrismas. Now i find out the music is messed up. :wacko

Peter

Ultimately it all comes down to money. Whether or not they want to ante up for the rights to these songs or not. Apparently as it's been seen, they have not. Good luck with the writing campaign but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Pbryant_knight said:
Why are they doing this with the music situation?
Same reason they only released a few videos - music rights. Apparently (and I only know this because this has been discussed here before) when the deals for the video releases were all worked out, DVDs weren't even invented, and nobody thought to put in any reference to new technologies that may come up. So now the music companies are claiming Universal have to pay for the music rights all over again in order to use them on this new technology. And, naturally, Universal ain't payin', and the little guy (us) gets screwed. Sucks, if you ask me!

Now i find out the music is messed up. :wacko
Only on the US DVDs. If you've bought the UK ones (and I notice you're from England), then they're apparently fine, with all the music intact. I guess the music rights are individual from country to country or something.

Last edited:
oh, im sorry, i was doing a load of stuff in other windows i did not know that these other people answered the question first. my bad.
That's OK. I do that all the time:lol

SamBeckettfann said:
agreed and another song that they stripped from MIA that was sooo perfect was Unchained Melody by the Rightchous Brothers. the lyrics are sooo perfect for the moment. when i found out that it was in the orginal aring instead of that damn elevator crapola, i was like OMG, they cut that out!
i mean come on people if we wanted to listen to elevator crapola then would would sit in an elevator!:censored

this is why i just know that they are gonna strip "I wanna know what love is" from Temptation eyes, and its going to seriously gonna piss me off:censored:censored

oh well, at least i'll still have my dud version.

Yes,I agree with you, the song "I wanna know what love is" from Temptation Eyes is extremely important for this epiosde,I remember the beautiful montage of Sam and Tamlyn together,is very romantic.If they change this song, the episode will change too.:realmad

I suggest all fans that write a lot of emails to Universal Studios for that they don't change the music:

universalstudios&dreamworks@leemarketing.com or

http://www.universalstudios.com/ (Direct Email Page)

They did a similar thing with "Weird Science" when they swapped the music on the escalator for "pretty woman"

so my music will be fine as i'm from the uk :) phew, that's a relief.

What you all should do is boycott the region 1 sets and buy the region 2 versions. then you can either 1: watch them on a multi region DVD player or 2: make back up copies for your own personal use (which is fine as long as you hold onto the originals) and back them up in region 2.

Then they might take notice and start releasing them the way the fans want them to be instead of what's cheaper.

Peter

I am really scared because I bought a DVD movie (Sliding Doors) and the DVD doesn't have all original music (especially "turn back time" by Aqua)
This is a excellent example to see how can change the feeling of the movie or episode(in case of Quantum Leap) for one song.
Please I really hope that Universal Studios won't change the song "I want to know what love is? by Foreigner

You know, a strange thing occurred with another Universal DVD release, Season 3 of Knight Rider. Universal had changed their usual "Music may differ from televised version" to: "Includes all original music except for two songs." These two songs were performed by Prince, who is supposedly ridiculously protective over his music. The one and only song that was removed from Season 2 was also a song of his, "Little Red Corvette" (which is one of the songs removed again this time). And this time, rather than replacing the songs with generic "muzak," NO music is in the scenes at all. This looks especially weird for one of the scenes, which shows people dancing to no music!

But I found it interesting that Universal worded their phrase that way, and that it seems they tried to make an effort to include all original music. But then again, a lot of the original music in the season did consist of cover artists anyway, so it might not have been too difficult for them.

However, another thing that's very peculiar is that there are a lot of episodes with removed sound effects. Things such as K.I.T.T. turbo boosting or ejecting things from his interior now have no sound effects at all (the sound effects are always intact in syndication). That, I just don't get.

Another interesting thing is that the season premiere is not exactly how the original airing was. The opening sequence for the season premiere, "Knight Of the Drones," apparently is edited in a different way and the title sequence includes K.I.T.T.'s upgraded dashboard (which was specially edited for this episode to preserve the "secret" until it was officially introduced).

So, who knows what the heck they're going to do with the last couple of seasons of Quantum Leap?

Last edited:
This makes me wish I'd had the foresight to tape every episode of QL back when I still lived with my family and had access to the Sci-Fi channel... I'd love to have the intact version of M.I.A., and if "I Want to Know What Love Is" is gone from Temptation Eyes, I'm not going to be a happy camper. *shudders* Ugh! It figures that Universal would find a way to ruin QL's DVD release, something that I thought would be perfect!

LadyKayoss said:
This makes me wish I'd had the foresight to tape every episode of QL back when I still lived with my family and had access to the Sci-Fi channel... I'd love to have the intact version of M.I.A., and if "I Want to Know What Love Is" is gone from Temptation Eyes, I'm not going to be a happy camper. *shudders* Ugh! It figures that Universal would find a way to ruin QL's DVD release, something that I thought would be perfect!

yeah i guess that was one good thing about the dud set i ordered, hehe. all the music is still there becasue its from when the episodes aired.>D

Yeah, but that set has crappy sound quality tho, right? I almost bought an "All 5 Seasons" set of a website for $180 i think, but they were all bootlegged so I didn't want to waste my money. I've actually worked in my desire for a Regions Free player, exploiting my mom's possible need for one, lol. Once we do, ill be ordering region 2s on all seasons...

Samantha Beckett

no the sound is fine

Samantha Beckett said:
I almost bought an "All 5 Seasons" set of a website for $180 i think, but they were all bootlegged so I didn't want to waste my money

and gee thanks a lot, make me feel worse why dontcha:hmm