Share your pet stories

Errowyn

Project QL Intern
Sep 4, 2008
California
This came from the thread where some stories about cats were swapped. I thought we should open it up for all sorts of pets and for us to share funny stories.

When I was about six we had several gold fish we were keeping. We also had several cats that liked to watch the all fish channel. Occasionally one would get up to the tank and try to catch a fish. Their expressions once their paws hit the water was rather funny. I swear they were thinking, "Nooo! What a cruel irony this is! The fish are in water!"

I was seven when we got a litter of kittens. The mother cat had been hit by a car and the neighbors were moving so Mom offered to take them in and find homes for them.

Once they were big enough we'd let them wander around on the dinning room table.

We also had two very large and very mellow dogs at the time. Kelly and Dawn were both dumber than a pile of rocks but they were great dogs.

The first time the kittens saw the dogs they jumped up on their claws, hissed, and spat. They were as puffed up as they could be and were going absolutely nuts because the dogs were staring at them. The dogs were curious in them.

Later on we later found one of the kittens soaking wet and thought he had fallen into the water bowl. Turns out Kelly was licking him in order to clean him.

Our fourteen-year-old cat Orca was a dump job in a grocery store parking lot. She was an extremely active kitten. We had a corner in our hallway and she would be running down the hall so fast she'd literally bounce off the walls when she hit that corner. She'd then hit the kitchen floor but was going so fast she couldn't stop. She'd slide all the way across the floor until she hit the sliding glass doors. After a few seconds she'd be burning rubber across the kitchen floor and do it all over again!

Merlin, well, he's just a little monster. He turns everything he can find into a toy. He's so darn cute though and people don't believe what a little monster lies under that cute face.

Cats with laser lights are highly entertaining.

Alright. Me next!

This cat... He's not my cat, but he does terrorize the owner. He wakes his owner up every morning at 4:30, and will try and knock things of the walls and countertops if she does not wake up. He will bite her for no reason, and one time she bent over, and he bit her in the... Anyways, George loves company, and will roll on the floor near the front door. But if they try and pet him, he will bite their arm off. Of course, he does some cute things, like try to lay in bowls that are too small for him. When he sees cats outside, he usually trys to invite them in; he doesn't know that he's supposed to be mad at stray cats. He can carry out his meows for about 5 seconds when he so chooses. That doesn't seem like a long time, but try holding your breath that long, and you should understand.

But in the end, like all cat loves, George is still well-loved. He's still a kitten at heart, though.

Last edited:
Henry has a perfectly comfortable kitty basket with soft blankets. Yet when we first got him, 3 mornings out of four we'd come down to find him sleeping in a "Quality Street" sweet tin!

http://www.santaspostbag.co.uk/images/QualityStreetTin.jpg

I'm not having much luck with posting small pics of Henry here, but if any of you have bebo accounts I have a couple of albums of him there. My user is my nom de plume 'maddersahatter'.

Edit - I have photobucket now...

http://s467.photobucket.com/albums/...orrid Henry/?action=view&current=Henry015.jpg

Last edited:
Cats are good at that. I knew one lady who bought this very expensive cat bed and the cat wanted nothing to do with it. All he wanted was the cardboard box.

With our pets all we've given them are basic toys and the occasional worn glove and they love it.

Henry's favorite toy at the moment is a milk bottle cap. He bats it around and pounces on it for hours on end.

Macky is absolutely addicted to his favorite toy--an old fishing pole with a toy mouse tied to the line. You can cast the mouse across the room and reel it in, so it looks like a real mouse running across the floor. He goes insane for it. Or I just swing it in the air and he chases it, bats it, chews it, etc. There's not much left of the mouse anymore, but he adores it.

When we first had him, Henry was crazy about a fluffy toy snake with a rattle in its head on a stick. Wave the stick and the snake wriggled and squirmed. Henry loved to hone his pouncing skills on it. He still plays with it from time to time, and still goes for anything that dangles - including mine or my daughter's hair!:hair

One thing George loved was an old cane that I would stand upright, and George would actually wrap his whole body around it and bite it. :)

We have one little area Merlin wants to get into. When my parents bought the house we live in they had the dishwasher removed. It looked like someone had beaten it with a baseball bat. After that Mom converted the area into a place to put her antique glass. She didn't put anything on the bottom.

Merlin comes along and thinks this will be a great hiding place. We put boxes and things he can't move in front of it but he still gets under! Dad then shoved a towl underneath so that there was no way the kitten could get under there.

Merlin started running from side to side in an effort to find a spot he could crawl into.

He also likes to wake up at midnight and shriek until one of us gets up and releases him from the bathroom.

We have a new kitten that we named "Cleo."

A lady I know says she found the kitten when some boys were playing a game of "catch" with her and demanded the kitten. She told me since she had four cats she couldn't take another one in and gave her to us. She makes number seven not including the two outdoor cats.

All of our cats were strays or were dumped somewhere.

You wouldn't know she had been abused in the past as she's very, very friendly and loves to play. She's very fond of chicken.

This is Merlin. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/LadyDernhelm/merlincrashed2.jpg

Cleo playing with Merlin.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/LadyDernhelm/cleo2.jpg

Cleo's face.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/LadyDernhelm/cleo3.jpg

Errowyn said:
We have a new kitten that we named "Cleo."

All of our cats were strays or were dumped somewhere.

What adorable kitties!

I got my previous cat, Tabitha, from a shelter. She was my little buddy for 12 years, through thick and thin. Macky's litter was dropped off--that is, abandoned--at a barn belonging to a friend of a friend. She's a very nice lady who took the kittens in, only about a month old, and hand-raised them as they were too young to be weaned. Then they became barn cats. So when I needed a new cat, she said, "Take your pick." I went and asked the assembled feline multitude, "Which one of you wants to go home with me?" Macky practically got into the cat carrier by himself. Sometimes I think he misses his buds in the barn, but he has a very nice life here--food, shelter, lots of love, endless places to sleep, and he gets to go outside and patrol the yard.

That's a cute story.

Once we got Cleo home the other cats didn't know what to do with her but Merlin was thinking "Oh boy! A playmate!" and immediately set about trying to get her to play with him. It took about five minutes worth of work but now they run around and wear each other out.

My cat (not George), was gotten when his mama had kittens. His mother was, and still is, an outside cat that declared this house her "home", and has had two litters before she finally got spayed. It's amazing how the mother is so curious and brave, and her son hides under the lawn chair (he's an indoor/outdoor cat) when he hears a loud noise three houses down. :roflmao:

Well I am now thoroughly exhausted.
We popped out to the local store - not gone more than 30mins tops.
Shut little Henry in the kitchen to protect him from big Max while we gone.

Came back, no sign of Henry. {We are not letting him roam outdoors unleashed until he is 'chipped' in a couple of weeks}

Frantic panic, how could he have gotten out?

Then we hear scratching.

He had somehow got open the door to the cupboard under the sink. He not only got into the cupboard, he got up over the gap at the back and behind the board behind the pipes. Then of course he got stuck!

We had visions of having to break the board to get him out, but after nearly half an hour of coaxing we finally got him to climb out again.

Child proof cupboard lock next time we go shopping I think!

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr40/Madders_Ahatter/Horrid Henry/Henrywaving.jpg

This was the little tinker when we first had him. Bedraggled, half starved and abandoned he was skin and bone, but he is now 3 times the size.

Our newest edition Cleo feels she owns the house. She'll try to take any other cat down who doesn't agree with her. It doesn't matter how much bigger they are she'll jump all over them and try to prove that she's so much stronger. She's a spunky little kitten.

I wanted to make this post the other day but Photobucket kept freezing up every time I logged in.

This has got to be the funnest and saddest things (her IQ) I've ever seen my cat do. So much so I felt I should show it in the form of a roughly sketched cartoon. ...Um to people that haven't seen me draw before I can draw a lot better than this.

cheshirethesmart.gif

I'm forced to wonder if we have yet another cat! I don't know where this guy belongs or if he even has a home. He at least gets food from across the street.

He's part Siamese as he has the blue eyes and the long meow. He's gray and black with speckled tabby markings.

He's built like a tank. I call him "No Neck" because it looks like he doesn't have a neck. He's a bit on the chubby side and I'm guessing he's anywhere between 20 to 25 pounds.

I think he belongs or belonged to somebody because his pelt is in good condition and he's used to people.

My parents and I usually see him in the morning and evening.