How's Summer?

ohboy

Project QL Intern
May 27, 2008
Northern California
Well with August coming, and with some people affected in some way with the end of summer (grade school, college, children, etc.), I was just curious if anyone did anything fun or particularly interesting over the summer.

Oh, and to start, I basically took a couple of classes, one of which was Russian History. Very interesting class, to say the least. That was the highlight of my summer (at least to this point), so that's why I'm asking if anyone did anything more interesting over the summer. Or the same degree of interest as my summer, if you would like to make me feel better.

Of course, if anyone would like to discuss how Peter the Great's socioeconomic policies preserved and shaped Russia until the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917 in which Lenin overthrew the Provisional Government to establish communism, I'll be prepared. :lol

I bet my Dad would love to chat with you about history, Russian or otherwise. He's a huge history buff, up to and including WWII.

I've done nothing special this summer. Well, I did go to a high school class reunion with the class of 1956. That was a blast! They did the "Locomotion!" We also went on a riverboat cruise. Oh, and I drove to New Orleans for dinner one night. (5 hour drive each way) Other than that, just work work work. I've even been so busy I haven't been to Al's Place in quite a while!

Like Chicken Boo, other than work, work, work and a little more work, I didn't go anywhere special this summer, but I did do something unique: I recorded an audio book.

Last year, through a friend, I became interested in, and then involved in, amateur voice acting; even snagged a role in a ST-based audio drama called Star Trek: Excelsior. In early April of this year, on an amateur VA (voice acting) website I frequent, I saw an audition posting for someone to read an already published book (The Rhesus Factor written by Sonny Whitelaw) that the author is having made into an audio book. I'm one of those people who enjoy reading aloud, so I threw caution to the winds, took a deep breath and took a chance. I sent in the requested audition and three days later, to my stunned surprise, got the nod to be the reader.

It was a huge undertaking because the book's word count was 115,000 plus words (32 chapters), a fact clearly stated in the audition post and I had a bit under 4 months to complete it (end of July). Another important point is that it was a totally non-paying gig, which was stated prominently in the audition post. Well, in spite of a lot of long hours spent recording (nothing fancy, just a microphone in my little home office) and then editing what I read, it was a lot of fun and a bit of an education, too. And, in the very wee hours of the morning of July 20th, I sent in the last chapter, completing the book with 11 days to spare. From what I was told, barring any delays, the audio book should be released sometime this month.

I've also become a regular story reader for an audio website called Well Told Tales http://welltoldtales.com and, last but not least, I've begun learning how to write some forms of poetry I'd never even read before (haiku, senryu, nonette and reverse nonette).

Thus, I come to the end of my recitation of the high points of "What I did this summer".

Eleiece

Summer here's been fine so far. Not really been doing much yet, been to the shops a couple of times but that's it. I'm going to the cinema in a couple of days, and I'm gonna go again with some friends as a pose to family when my friend gets back from China. Pretty relaxing all over, a nice break from all these GCSEs.

Pretty much nothing. Both my computer settings and my iPod got wiped clean all of a sudden. :( I've lost loads of important stuff.

I've been to the cinema once with my family, and been doing quite a fair bit of writing.

I wish it was summer - the cold mornings are starting to get to me, it's been very hard to get out of bed and get to work on time. Bring on summer.

First day of the school summer holiday my sister in law rescues an abandoned, bedraggled, mal-nourished baby kitten from the middle of the road.
So our summer has been mostly being run ragged by a tiny ball of fluff who loves to run and jump and crawl into all the places he isn't allowed to be!
Lucky for him he's cute, cos the scratches and puncture wounds are mounting daily.
Our other two cats seem terrified of him, so the rest of our time is spent reassuring them that they are still loved!
Hey-ho!

summertime happiness...

i guess i'm lucky. i've been dating a lot which is a good thing. it's been a few years since that's happened. being i'm 27 and 1/2 my clock is ticking as to when is it time to finally have the true mr. right in my life...and just working one job again. it's really fun to get up and go do a 4-10 hour shift without worrying about getting to the second job an hour after you leave the other. i love it! i just wish we'd never get icy roads from snow again but that's life in the new england area of the u.s.!

ris768 said:
I wish it was summer - the cold mornings are starting to get to me, it's been very hard to get out of bed and get to work on time. Bring on summer.

That's funny. Over here, it's summer, and I can't wait for winter to come, when it gets colder, and it starts to rain more. I don't know why, but I've always prefered winter weather to summer weather. Call me crazy :wacko, but I've always found that being in really cold weather was better than being really warm.

ohboy said:
That's funny. Over here, it's summer, and I can't wait for winter to come, when it gets colder, and it starts to rain more. I don't know why, but I've always prefered winter weather to summer weather. Call me crazy :wacko, but I've always found that being in really cold weather was better than being really warm.

Same here. I actually hate it hot. The only good thing about a hot day is that it tends to rain heavily for a bit at some point during the day.

I love these non-traditional weather preferences! Most people don't like rain at any time. But I have to wonder what a Californian thinks of as cold :)D ohboy) -- I mean, are we talking 3 feet of snow here, or is "cold" anything below 45 degrees?

My summer's only getting underway really, as we're going on vacation next week. In the north country, and hopefully it won't get colder than 50... that's Fahrenheit, btw.

I live in Northern California, about a couple hundred miles from Mt. Shasta. However, I've lived here for nine years, and in that entire time, it snows about once a year, and seems to stick at all about once every five or six years. Even then it's only about one, maybe two feet. It snows closer to Mt. Shasta than where I live, though. It just gets more rainy than snowy here.

Over here, cold is about in the fifties and below. It rarely gets below the thirties here. Of course, one time, I was spending the night in front of Best Buy on Thanksgiving, and I could have sworn that it was below the thrities :lol. Chances are, though, I'm overexaggerating that experience.

That'll be because the PS3 sucks. XD

Our weather is really scizophrenic. One day it's chucking it down, and the next it'll be bright sunshine all day! Then the next day it'll be really windy. =/ But that's my city for you! It's always like this here!

I suppose the biggest thing of our summer is that my DH and I moved to the UK! And we get to move into our house on Friday!!! VERY happy after a month and a half plus in a hotel!!!