If Al had died in 'the leap back'....

ian2k6

Project QL Intern
Mar 29, 2006
wouldnt he just leap into another person? because sam got killed in trilogy part 1 then leaped.

ian2k6 said:
wouldnt he just leap into another person? because sam got killed in trilogy part 1 then leaped.

I think the idea is more that Sam leaped out of Clayton Fuller in the instant BEFORE he died.
That's the way I always viewed it anyway.
Sam leaped out, Clayton leaped back in just as the burning beam came down on top of him, and as the saying goes 'he never knew what hit him'!

Yeah, Sam would never die, he'd already completed his mission of saving Abigail from the burning house, and set himself as a hero, so he leapt out successfully.

Do you think if Sam did die, he would leap back into himself, and the person he had leaped into had died instead?

Last edited:
leaper1 said:
I think the idea is more that Sam leaped out of Clayton Fuller in the instant BEFORE he died.
That's the way I always viewed it anyway.
Sam leaped out, Clayton leaped back in just as the burning beam came down on top of him, and as the saying goes 'he never knew what hit him'!

yeah thats exactly what happened, because remember in the second one where Sam is shocked to be in Abigales life a second time and is reviewing the facts and mentions clayton being dead, and then Al confirms that its true.

The Caz said:
Do you think if Sam did die, he would leap back into himself, and the person he had leaped into had died instead?

If Sam does physically die in the past, yes he'd leap back home. This is established in "Genesis" when Al is cycling through scenarios for Sam to leap home.

Al: "Your best bet is freezing the brain so that all electrical activity has ceased."

Sam: "That's called DEATH!" :lol

But the leapee would not be dead once they arrive back in the past. They'd simply be inexplicably alive to anyone in the time period around them, much like what happened at the end of "Revenge."

What I don't understand is the huge rush for Sam to leap into Al before Al's car was pushed over the edge of the cliff. Isn't the purpose of a time machine to travel to ANY time. If Al HAD died, couldn't Sam just leap into him at a time when he was still alive during Al's leap?

LOL how confusing!

naggindragon said:
What I don't understand is the huge rush for Sam to leap into Al before Al's car was pushed over the edge of the cliff. Isn't the purpose of a time machine to travel to ANY time. If Al HAD died, couldn't Sam just leap into him at a time when he was still alive during Al's leap?

LOL how confusing!

I'd wondered about that, too. My theory is that, once they get a lock on the Leaper, the two timelines are in sync and the Accelerator would automatically send him to the 'present' of the Leaper's timeline - such as into Al, right before the car went over the cliff because that was what was about to happen right then. Okay... did not explain that very well at all, did I?

It's a theory with a lot of holes, I know... but it's better than nothing.

naggindragon said:

LOL how confusing!

I also had another theory about this. Wouldn't Al have leaped out at the last second like Sam did when he was Clayton Fuller? I mean it would be a pisser cuz then they have to get Al out of a nother time and leap now, but just saying.

But then again, if you go by the "you need to complete your mission to leap" theory (which may or may not be true... it was never made clear during the series), if Al and Tom's fiancee had gone over the cliff, he would not have completed his mission, and thus not leapt.

Ah well... as Thames said "When it comes to Quantum, nothing is impossible."

naggindragon said:
But then again, if you go by the "you need to complete your mission to leap" theory (which may or may not be true... it was never made clear during the series), if Al and Tom's fiancee had gone over the cliff, he would not have completed his mission, and thus not leapt.

Ah well... as Thames said "When it comes to Quantum, nothing is impossible."

There we go! That was much better - and more coherent - than my theory. And like my theory, A Leap for Lisa refutes it...

Well, sometimes its best to sit back and just enjoy the show.