What would happen if and when Sam dies?

Lightning McQueenie

Project QL Intern
Dec 8, 2005
Do you think he'll be like Stawpah and continue his work putting things right that once went wrong as a ghost/angel?

I'd rather not think of Sam dying, really. Can't he live forever?:\

To offer an answer to your question, though, I would think that when that particular moment came for Sam, it would be his time to rest. I really think he deserves that after a lifetime of helping others.

It felt to me like Stawpah was trapped in a loop of trying to save Tonchi and Pete. He says it happened "many times" or something like that. It took Sam arriving to change the scenario and leap him out. That was my take on it.

Didn't answer my question though - I was asking will Sam continue to leap trying to put right things that have gone wrong when he dies. We have evidence of two cases where a dead person has travelled to help fix a mistake (Angela and Stawpah), Stawpah in the same "fashion" as Sam's leaping.

Do you think he'll be like Stawpah and continue his work putting things right that once went wrong as a ghost/angel?

I think there are two aspects to this question: Sam's physical body and his soul.

As for his physical body, Al explains that this is one method that can be used to retrieve Sam: "Freezing the brain until all electrical activity has ceased," with Sam replying, "That's called death!"

As for Sam's soul, that's open to interpretation. Seeing as how "Mirror Image" suggests that leaping can be metaphysical as well, I would imagine that Sam would be given a choice much like he had at the end of "Mirror Image" to either rest or keep leaping on a new type of assignment. I'd say Sam would want to rest.

The Bartender kind of makes it clear that nothing comes for free without some type of sacrifice.

I think God would have blessed Sam with eternal life, I mean I know in mirror image Sam can see his crows feet and grey hairs but now that he can supposedly leap by himself and control his leaps he would be endowed with "time" also.

Between those two choices (ghost/angel), and given that the Bartender represents God, I think that Sam continuing to leap would be as an angel.

Who's to say that in Stawpah's case, that perhaps Sam's leap into Cokeburg was to "put right what once went wrong" for Stawpah? Meaning what Stawpah had not been able to achieve in that situation in the original history (save Taunchi & Pete), was the reason for Sam being leaped there. And, it would ensure that Stawpah moved on to, might we say to his final reward.

Eleiece/Sherdran

We have Angelita from "It's a Wonderful Leap" and Stawpah from "Mirror Image," not to mention the Bartender and, well really the entirely supernatural events of that entire episode. Then we have the Evil Leapers. Once Sam "took" Alia into HIS leap to the prison, he freed her from whatever project she was a part of. This is why she leapt blue at the end. And on a side note, it did seem kind of far fetched to me that there was some evil project out there trying to undo Sam's work backed by God, but considering there is a Devil implied in this story, nowadays it makes more sense than it ever has before.

There appears to be the GFTW spiritual realm which ultimately governs time and humanity. What Sam did was break into a QUANTUM realm which OVERLAPPED (or achieved the same frequency as) the spiritual realm. In other words, Sam wandered into God's territory without dying and via his OWN technological breakthrough with his rare genius. Sam is mortal and of course he will die. When he does, he will simply adapt to the new realm. He just happened to be a man who 'cracked the code.'

Going a step further, many are not even clear if it was ever Sam's soul leaping into other people's bodies, or if it was his physical body traveling and the quantum physics account for the disparage of height, weight, clothes, mass, etc., to those around him and his mirror images. Well, I'm of the impression that it was always Sam's physical body and the quantum physics accounted for the various illusions, etc. If I didn't kind of already make that clear LOL.

As for "Mirror Image" and Sam now leaping as himself, this seems to be the culmination or divergence of these two states. These frequencies have crossed wires long enough; now it is time for a next level.

I think he'd continue to appear throughout history, like say the guy in The Time Traveller's Wife. It must be Sam's body that leaps, as to those onlookers, the vet in the wheelchair with no legs, seemingly gets up and walks, for instance. But how do the clothes fit Sam's body, say when he leaps into a woman or child's life - or a chimp's?

But maybe upon his death, his body returns home to the imagine chamber once and for all or is lost in time.

I think he'd continue to appear throughout history, like say the guy in The Time Traveller's Wife. It must be Sam's body that leaps, as to those onlookers, the vet in the wheelchair with no legs, seemingly gets up and walks, for instance. But how do the clothes fit Sam's body, say when he leaps into a woman or child's life - or a chimp's?

But maybe upon his death, his body returns home to the imagine chamber once and for all or is lost in time.

The comic book series makes an attempt to answer that question. I alluded to it in my previous post, but I accept it as canon, because...well it has to be lol. There is basically a quantum field surrounding Sam, which also accounts for the aura of the leapee to be seen by those around him. It is this same quantum field that allows the discrepancies in clothing sizes, height, etc., to conform to Sam's size. Maybe the best case in point is Bobo the chimpanzee in "The Wrong Stuff."