Old 03-17-2022, 08:23 PM   #1
alsplacebartender
Al's Place Bartender

Default Jay denies Scott involvement

I'm going to just say... Andrew Garfield and Toby Maguire both said they were definitely not in Spiderman. So... we shall see.

Brian Greene
Al's Place Bartender
alsplacebartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:36 PM   #2
feldon30
Forum Technician

Hah!!
Old 03-18-2022, 07:06 AM   #3
Avilos
Pulse Communications Technician

Just learning of Jay’s comment.

But that question of how long can a spoiler be kept secret and how long? Has been on my mind since this revival was first announced. Preserving secret castings for dramatic effect is nothing new. It existed long before social media and geek culture going mainstream. But seems more and more common with big franchises. Actors outright denying returning in roles before its.... dramatically revealed later that they were... what is a polite word for... well... lying.

I think there are pros but also cons to long term keeping this type of surprise casting a secret.

Like it or not - some people have already written of this new show. There is a false perception that Scott was offered a role and rejected it. Taking this other show instead.

There is also this weird situation that both are NBC shows. At this point we do not know if one or both are on NBC or Peacock. But at this point from general public perspective both are the same thing.

Regardless of Scott’s involvement there could be a weird brand confusion when NBC/Peacock advertise the new Scott Bakula show AND the new Quantum Leap at the same time. Those two names are still completely linked in the public.

I personally will be checking both shows out. But I really hope the producers of this new QL strongly think about the implications of maintaining the mystery of Sam Beckett for too long. This show should stand on its own and develop its own characters. But it could really hurt the show if everyone is still asking for a whole season “Where is Sam?” and Scott and his representatives continue to be in full denial mode.

If anyone wants to privately send me the full Pilot script I am not tech savvy enough to repost it and too lazy to even bother spreading what I learn.

Don Bellisario on why he used the name Tom so much in Quantum Leap

(Yes my name is Tom. So when he told me that I had a big grin on my face! )
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #4
feldon30
Forum Technician

*Spoiler Alert for Star Trek: Into Darkness*

JJ Abrams really ticked a lot of people off when he flatly denied that the villain in his second Star Trek movie was
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
Khan
. He basically called us liars.

I don't see the value in trying to deny something that fans know. Not confirming? Sure. Not commenting? Sure. But trying to mislead fans? Bad idea. NOT saying that is what Jay is doing here, as we won't know until the pilot leaks/airs.
Old 03-18-2022, 01:55 PM   #5
Avilos

That is a perfect example of what I meant. Going to the extreme to protect spoilers that it means directly misleading fans.

As you said we do not know what is really going on here. So this right now is discussing previous movies and tv shows handling of spoilers. Was it done good or badly.

Honestly I have never been worried about seeing spoilers. Whether accidentally or by choice. I like to have a real sense of what I am going to be watching. That includes who is involved.

If all our hopes are true and Scott is secretly part of this new QL. Even in a small role it puts him in a potentially awkward situation. While promoting and doing interviews for his new series he will certainly be asked about This new QL. What is going to say? Also it’s part of the Universal TV family meaning NBC/Peacock. It’s not going to be easy to pretend the new Leap doesn’t exist until (hopefully) he shows up on it with out notice.

The question is how important are dramatic reveals of a surprise character? As the Fate’s Wide Wheel Podcast hosts revealed they have read the Pilot script. But are being restrained in what they want to reveal. YET I would be surprised if someone else does not post that full script online before it airs.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:48 PM   #6
Avilos

Another thing I want to add. This is not like when Star Trek The Next Generation debuted in 1987. That show deliberately was set almost a century after the original series to distance itself from those characters. With the exception of a brief cameo of Deforest Kelly as a very elderly Dr McCoy in the Pilot , for the first few seasons TNG avoided even mentioning Kirk or his crew. Not until much later that some cast members from the first show had full guest appearances. Once TNG was a success in its own right.

But that is not really what is happening here. The official description mentions the mystery of Sam Beckett. They are teasing his involvement right from the start. How could they not. The original show did not set out to create a “Quantum Leap Universe”. It was about the adventures of one man. A world and history was created in the process. But it was really about that very human character. I do not see how this show will succeed without at least resolving his story.

Old 03-19-2022, 04:46 PM   #7
Spartan83
Waiting Room Visitor

How can Scott NOT be in it? Let's get real LOL

The man is mentioned in the plot summary with the new team of QL eager to understand the mysteries behind the machine and its creator.........trust me scott will be in it at some stage during the season, most probably season finale.

They did it with Ghostbusters, with Spider-man and the 2 spideys, with Cobra Kai with Terry Silver and also Kreese, with Picard and ex TNG crew and Q. ......it's just the writers way of tickling our balls regarding the BIG reveal of the legend that is Scott Bakula.

He will return.
Old 03-19-2022, 06:37 PM   #8
Avilos

We do not know how long a season either of these shows will have. More and more networks are following the streaming model. As short as 10 - 15 episodes a season. With episodes running for a few months and different shows taking the time slot. Until a new season is ready a year later.

These shorter seasons have allowed tv actors to do more outside work than when a season 22 episodes a year.

The QL Pilot began filming a week ago. No word on when Unbroken becomes filming.