Old 07-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #26
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Hmm. How about this...

"In his short life he touched us all,
His body may be dead, but not his memory."

I don't know what kind of person he was, though, so tell me if I missed the mark.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #27
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

I wonder how long it'll take me to finish the story. I'm only on chapter two at the moment.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #28
ohboy
Junior Leaper

As long as you have a passion to finish it, then you should do it soon. My first book took four months for ten chapters (two parts to each chapter), with about 220 pages. For me, things Chapter 1 is the hardest part to finish, because I have no idea where to begin. After that, it was much easier.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #29
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

I often have the same problem. I know how to end it and what can go in the middle, just now how to start it.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #30
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam's Crow
I often have the same problem. I know how to end it and what can go in the middle, just now how to start it.
There is no law that says you have to write a story in the order in which it will be read.
My first novella "Terror Firma" ['published' at www.fanfiction.net - under the pen name 'madders ahatter' shameless plugosity] started with the 'climax' to the story, somewhere around chapter 13, and I worked my way back to the beginning and through to the conclusion 'joining the dots' if you like.
In fact, none of my stories have followed a set formula. I tend to start with an idea, whether it is the 'leap-in', or a specific scene, or even just an exchange between two characters. From there, I make notes, do a bit of research [or sometimes a LOT of research], write odd scenes as they come to me, and fill in the blanks as the muse takes me.

My advice to any writer would be - just relax into it and enjoy it. You can always tidy it up with the help of a beta reader once the first draft is done.

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
leaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #31
systemcat
Accelerator Technician

Helen! I haven't seen you around for a while, where have yuh been ?
Old 07-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #32
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemcat
Helen! I haven't seen you around for a while, where have yuh been ?
Lurking!
Seriously, real life has been impinging big time, and I've been busy working on several stories simultaneously.
Nice to know I've been missed though.

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
Old 07-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #33
ohboy
Junior Leaper

You know what, "leaper1", I think that I may try that. I do get a lot of scenes I can think of, but I never seem to put them in a coherent order. Thanks for the advice .
Old 07-07-2008, 03:16 AM   #34
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboy
You know what, "leaper1", I think that I may try that. I do get a lot of scenes I can think of, but I never seem to put them in a coherent order. Thanks for the advice .
You are more than welcome.
We writers all support each other here.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #35
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

Writing is in my blood really. My mum's cousin writes to make most of his living, my older brother writes a lot, my sister has had a few things published and my mum writes to relax her.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #36
JuliaM
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaper1
There is no law that says you have to write a story in the order in which it will be read......

My advice to any writer would be - just relax into it and enjoy it. You can always tidy it up with the help of a beta reader once the first draft is done.
That's how I write the majority of my stuff. I hardly ever go in a linear fashion but write scenes along the way then "sew" the scenes together. I think I linearly and had to wait to write a scene I have an idea for, I'd never get to the scene nor finish the story.

Each writer has to figure out what works best for him/her, though.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #37
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoniz
Each writer has to figure out what works best for him/her, though.
I agree, I might try to start writing the story in non-chronological order and see how it works to me. I've always been afraid to do so incase I'm unable to put the parts together.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #38
ohboy
Junior Leaper

I don't know how well this might work, since I only started this recently. Try manually (gulp!) writing the book in a notebook, and keep it near you. That way, when you feel like writing a paragraph or two, you can without trying to force yourself in the mood. I don't know how well it will work for me, but just a suggestion.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #39
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

I've put my story aside for a bit for two reasons. The main reason is that I've got writers' block and the second reason is that my older sister's story got rejected by some publisher and she's the type who gets jealous easily.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #40
Sherlock's Sparrow
Waiting Room Visitor

I had a poem published in my high school's literary magazine once. Does that count?

Sherlock's Sparrow
Sherlock's Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #41
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

Started again with Guardian Angel. The main character (who's dead) is trying to reach out to his pregnant girlfriend, although there's no point because she can't see or hear him.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #42
Ziggy
Control Room Technician

Quote:
I need a bit of help. What do you think should go on a grave stone?
"I'll be back."

"With a million gigabyte capacity I'm quite capable of rubbing my tummy, patting my head and doing a trillion floating point operations at once."
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #43
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy
"I'll be back."
That's great.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #44
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy
"I'll be back."
Every time I hear that, I think of Arnold Schwartsineggar (spelled something like that) from Terminator.

I should know how to spell that. After all, he is the governor of California.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #45
tina_als_girl
PQL Security Staff

The only "publishing" I've had is a couple short bits in my high school's yearly anthology.

I have been working on my pet project--a sci-fi/fantasy novel trilogy--for close to 8 years now. It started when I made some character profiles during some exercises at a playwrighting workshop in ninth grade on December 17, 2000. Eight years later, I've got myself a whole trilogy planned and I'm getting ready to sit down and start some serious writing. So far my time has been spent mostly on developing my characters, world settings, family trees, etc. I can't wait to get started. I'm really hoping these books will be my big break.

Joy

tina_als_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #46
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

I had a short story I wrote up published in the college newspaper a few years ago. It was a silly little story about the not so itsy bitsy spider. I was inspired after seeing spider-zilla inside the house one day.

I'm still hopeful to get a novel or my artwork published one day.
--The Highway Man
Errowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:15 AM   #47
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Good lord, I'm having a bit of writers block on a story that I'm writing now. Two of them, actually. Does anybody have any writing exercises they do that helps them stimulate ideas?
Old 05-10-2009, 02:23 AM   #48
jassian
Project Observer

You probably tried this already, but you could ask your characters how they feel about this and where they are at in the story. If it won't make you feel completely mad that is
Old 05-10-2009, 02:31 AM   #49
ohboy
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassian View Post
You probably tried this already, but you could ask your characters how they feel about this and where they are at in the story. If it won't make you feel completely mad that is
Actually, I've never tried that. And no, I have done crazier things then asking characters of my stories how they feel about where they are in the story. I'll try it, though. Danke schon!
Old 05-10-2009, 03:23 AM   #50
angvav
Temporary Account

I need a bit of help. What do you think should go on a grave stone?

Spike Milligan had this:

"Told you I was ill!"