Are you a night owl or an early bird?

CarolD

Jul 15, 2006
New York
Hi all,

We've got a lot of preliminary ideas for programming at the con, but I'm curious: are you the type who loves to stay up late and party till the wee hours, or are you an early bird who'd be looking for something interesting to attend right after breakfast?

I imagine we've got some of both types, but let's hear from all of you... 8)

I'm definately a night owl, especially if there are things going on. Just supply me with a lot of caffeine and sugar, and I'll be good all night. And I don't like to miss anything, so I'd definately be up and about in the morning as well.

Yet another night owl here. Pretty surprised to see that everyone so far is a night owl as well. I have my good nights and my lousy nights going out at parties, but it really all depends if I feel like being in an outgoing mood at the time. I hate getting up! 8)

I'm most definitely a night owl. I reckon that functions held at night are more entertaining than morning ones anyway.

Stay tuned. :) I'm an early bird, and can come up with some fun events for the programming that take place before noon!

As for "what happens before noon" in real life...I get up around 7:00-7:30 every day, and find out I can get all my errands and chores done really fast, because half the world is sound asleep! LOL. I'd MUCH rather get up early and enjoy the sunshine, than stay buried under the covers and miss the nicest part of the day.

Night Owl Here

DEFINITELY NIGHT OWL...(you guys have seen those posts made at 3 am right?)

However...this is a few day event. Even if I had NO sleep (not likely)...I'd still do an early morning activity that was a must do.

Depending on the activity...I've been known to get up at 5 am to make an activity. I may walk away from the Con ready to sleep for days...but it will be worth it.

I sort of see this in the Al mode...during a leap, he caught sleep when (and if) he could. Afterwards, during the "down time" he caught up on sleep. Similar situation at a Leaper's Con (as far as I'm concerned)!

Stay tuned. :) I'm an early bird, and can come up with some fun events for the programming that take place before noon!

As for "what happens before noon" in real life...I get up around 7:00-7:30 every day, and find out I can get all my errands and chores done really fast, because half the world is sound asleep! LOL. I'd MUCH rather get up early and enjoy the sunshine, than stay buried under the covers and miss the nicest part of the day.

hmm... i think you're outnumbered. hehe

No kidding! :) Out of all my friends, I think there's maybe 1 or 2 who like getting up at a "reasonable hour" in the morning. The rest of 'em, you can't pry them out of bed before noon. And that's soooo weird to me, 'cause like I said, it's so nice in the morning when it's quiet and you can get things done. (And the sun is out.) But I guess it runs in the family -- neither of my parents is a night owl either.

Since I'm used to Eastern Standard Time, I'll probably end up awake much earlier than I'm used to, anyway. Still, at an event like this, I'd make sure I could attend everything possible, night and morning.

Carol, I just want you to know you're not alone. I'm a morning person too, and I look forward to having fun things to do before noon. For me the big effort will be staying up at night, but, hey, it's a special occasion. Who needs sleep?

Karen

If I had my choice, I'd be a night owl, as I have lots of friends in the States who are generally coming online and want to chat as I'm going off to bed, but a 7:15 am start at work means that I have to be an early bird and go to bed at a decent hour.

When it comes to conventions, I'm late to bed and early to rise, and if you have more than five hours sleep, then you aren't getting a true convention experience! And as I'm on the committee, I'm anticipating NO sleep at all :)

CarolD said:
Hi all,

We've got a lot of preliminary ideas for programming at the con, but I'm curious: are you the type who loves to stay up late and party till the wee hours, or are you an early bird who'd be looking for something interesting to attend right after breakfast?

I imagine we've got some of both types, but let's hear from all of you... 8)

in the normal course of things I'm definitely a morning person, but I've been known to stay up until 3am if there's something worth staying up for.

I am most definiatly a night owl. I am a zombie if I have to get up too early, although not as bad as I used to be. I however can stay up pretty dang late into the night with no problems.

Last edited:
Most of the time, I'm a night owl... but I can be an early riser as well. It all depends on what I need to do and what I want to do.

I mean during most of the weekdays, I'm up at 5:30 in the morning, drinking coffee, preparing for my day. I then get to work at 7:30ish and have a full day of teenagers. It's lovely really. Then I come home, work on more stuff for the kids at school, write a little (which I need to do more) and then finally fall into bed at eleven thirty or midnight and start all over again at 5:30.

However, if you ask some of the "older" members of the board, you'll find that I used to stay up until 3 - 4 AM and then still get up maybe two hours later and run on fumes to do what I needed / wanted to do.

Just curious... if you were asking about how to schedule things for the con and you want to make it to where more people can do things... I can honestly see a lot of sleep depraved people who will probably stay up all three days.... but it might be best to go with the majority rules rule. But then... it's just my opinion....

MJ

Last edited:
I figure we'll get some of each variety (night owls and early birds) and a lot who are willing to go without sleep for 3 days. As far as scheduling goes, I'm figuring 9:00 a.m. to midnight "officially," with a likelihood of room parties going until the wee hours.

Hmm... if there are going to be events for both types, then I fear I may end up being one of the 'no sleep' people. :) Hey, it'll be worth it, right?

QL Damsel said:
If anything goes on like what went on in a wonderful house in Lousianna... you can BET on it, Carol.

Right, Kat, Eleiece and Jennie?

Did someone say room party???? ;) MJ can provide the hors d'ouevres! <wg>

QL Damsel said:
I could post a very interesting response to what Jennie just said, however, I think that it best that I just order some Italian sausage pizza and be done with it.

Oh boy!

SPICY Italian sausage, MJ! :D And if it's anything like that lovely house in Louisiana... we'd better warn the hotel management ahead of time!