Al's Place

The Macman

Project QL Intern
Mar 31, 2006
Hey Bartender,

Ive always wondered how you got this place started? Looking back throughout the MASSIVE backload of threads and so on, it would seem that you have become the dominant QL site on the whole 'rodernet'. I see that scifi used to have their own ql forums, were they any good?
Sorry for the questions, i was chatting to a friend about ql and happened to mention this excellent site and message board and he asked if it was new. I told him it wasnt, he said he used to frequent the scifi boards and then all of a sudden they were empty.

Any plans for a bg chat meet?

Whats the latest on the ql film? It seems to have disappeared altogether doesnt it?
Sorry for all the questions buddy?

Paul

The SciFi forums were okay for the first few months or so, but we ended up with a troll infestation, which is why we migrated over here. You'll find that many members here were originally from the SciFi QL board. That's how I personally met several of my friends here.

:Love To All:
~ Joy ~

Paul. don't worry about how many questions that you ask, someone on this board will know the answers and many will respond. :)

1) I see that scifi used to have their own ql forums, were they any good?

I didn't frequent the SciFi QL board much, however, when I did it was full of trolls who put down the show more than anything else. Someone would comment on how great QL was/is and they would slam it. I don't understand that logic, but to each his own I guess. I assume that is why Brian and the current moderators are very good at keeping the bickering/trolling to a minimum here. We do appreciate the show for what is has been and what it is and we don't want to see people getting hurt.

As Joy pointed out.

2) How this place started?
I'll leave that one to the man who owns the board. Mr. Bartender (Brian Greene) would you mind?

I'm sure that it has something to do with how wonderful the show is! I will say that when I joined Al's Place it was 08-26-2002 -- this place had been running for awhile and I had been running Quantum Leap: The Virtual Seasons, I think for about three years... and Brian emailed me and told me about it. :) That's how I joined in. Haven't left since...

3) Any plans for a bg chat meet?
Again, that's one for Brian to answer.

4) What's the latest on the QL Film? It seems to have disappeared altogether doesn't it?
You've got me. I don't know what's going to happen with that one. Don't know. Anyone?

Just tune in Paul and see what everyone's got to say. :)

As far as getting this site started... I never intended it to be what it became over the years lol. Other fans helped and sometimes pushed me into building and building. It was supposed to just be a neat little section on my personal website, but... it grew. :hmm Also, a big attraction is the fanfic series "QL: The Virtual Seasons" operated by our own MJ Cogburn, a close friend of mine. :) She moved TVS over to Al's Place awhile back and brought a ton of fans with her. Originally, Al's Place was on geocities.com at http://www.geocities.com/ripmaster1/ The fowarding animation I created when we moved the site to it's own domain name still works lol.

The complete original site as it was in 2000 can be seen here:
http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/www.geocities.com/ripmaster1/

I joined the sci-fi board as well but noticed that the trolls Joy spoke of above were really upsetting everyone on there. So, I decided to make a board and keep it fully moderated and clean. It brought many people over to try it and they decided to stay! I've made some great friends from that board and am so glad the forum is what it is today. Without the support of the many fans who enjoy the show as much or even more than I do, it would be just another empty board. I also have the privilage of working with a great guy who does the technical upgrades and support on this forum; Morgan. I REALLY couldn't have done this without him.

Chat meet? We haven't had one in quite some time. Let me see if I can find a guest star to join us for a chat sometime soon and we'll do it again!

The new series/movie is all but gone. No word on it, not even a hint from the people I know inside sci-fi and NBC/Universal. Hollywood is slow as we all know, though, so never lose hope in a revival. As long as there are fans, anything is possible. Perhaps our convention in 2009 will stir NBC to take another look if it's a huge success - and it's looking like it will be.

Thanks for the questions!

I am one of the original members here at Al's Place. I followed the rest of the crowd over from Scifi.com Even before the troll infestation (who I think was sent from Lothos), it was never that great anyway. The members were brilliant, but the board was terrible and the monitored didn't care.

Brian is cool and listen to what we want. If we bug him enough and stamp our feets, he usually rolls over and does what we want. Just kidding Brian heehee ;)

I used to have a pretty popular Quantum Leap website, but it died :( Hadn't the time to update it, or the web experience as Mr Greene to match his site.

I still cry that Brian stole my crown, but he deserves it more than I ever did. :)

An original member eh?? Are there a lot of you 'oldies' around, or are you all outflanked by us 'newbies'

:lol

n00bies have a more interesting name on another board I use. You know it, don't you Brian? ;)

Nah Macman, I'm delighted to see all the new people coming to Al's Place and joining our original members from scifi.com It shows that Quantum Leap is just as popular today as when it first aired.

The only thing is, we've lost a lot of good people over the years. People such as SueJBakula, RicheysBabe and BakulaBabe. When are you all coming back?

HEY! DERMIE! OH MY GOD! YOU FORGOT ABOUT THE MAN! YOU FORGOT ABOUT THE HANDSOME RODMAN! OH MY GOD! :lol :eek

I MISS HIM! :\

DAGNABIT! I NEED A RODBEER NOW!

BARKEEP! I'M BUYING FIRST ROUND! BELLY UP TO THE BAR EVERYONE!

alsplacebartender said:
that the trolls Joy spoke of above were really upsetting everyone on there. So, I decided to make a board and keep it fully moderated and clean. It brought many people over to try it and they decided to stay!

Ah Yes, I came here reluctantly in the last month or so of the ezboard, and this that Brian explained above is what convinced me that I made the right choice. I never knew the trolls at the sci fi boards but I had just come off another board where I faced trolls of my own, and very vicious ones at that. They treated me so badly, and it was mostly the mods, and the admin was an a** and looked the other way. even after I was gone it didn't stop I recently learned. They still kept trashing me behind my back, man I wish I had known that you could delete your account back then. After that I had almost sworn off message boards but I gave this place a try and everyone welcomed me with such big open arms. This is the best place on the web, I love everyone here.

So I would have to agree The Macman, that this has to be one of the best communities period Ql or not.

The Macman said:
An original member eh?? Are there a lot of you 'oldies' around, or are you all outflanked by us 'newbies'

:lol

I joined soon after ziggysego, so I can safely say I'm an 'oldie'. But I echo the sentiments of how great it is that QL keeps roping in new members.

It doesn't matter how long you have loved the show, a week, a month, a year, a decade. It endures, and we love to share our love of the show.

Yeh, man, feel the love!!!:dreaming

The way Al's Place started was similar to how Quantum Leap: The Virtual Seasons started. TVS was originally supposed to be a one season continuation of the television show. After the 18 episodes of season 6, more ppl wanted to join the "writing staff" and the Virtual Sixth Season project(no pun intended) quickly became Season 1 of TVS. It will always be known as Season 6. M.J. and former producer A.J. Burfield became "Executive" Producers. I'd like to think that this is the beginning of the next generation of entertainment. Imagine if you will, TV series on the internet not necessarily all unoriginal. In other words, some series being fully created by the producer(s). You've seen on Stargate SG-1, in the opening credits it says "Developed for Television by...". That becomes "Developed for the Internet(or net) by...". There are(of course non-profit) production companies on the net some of which are involved with The Quantum Leap Radio Files. They do other fanfic series as well and might even be producing some original series as well.(???)

Steve B.
Project scientist.....j/k LOL!

P.S. QL: TVS now in Season Thirteen(aka Season Eight). :leap

QL Damsel said:
HEY! DERMIE! OH MY GOD! YOU FORGOT ABOUT THE MAN! YOU FORGOT ABOUT THE HANDSOME RODMAN! OH MY GOD! :lol :eek

I MISS HIM! :\

DAGNABIT! I NEED A RODBEER NOW!

BARKEEP! I'M BUYING FIRST ROUND! BELLY UP TO THE BAR EVERYONE!

The Rodman....... I miss his Rodbeers :bow

Anyone know where he disappeared to? Prehaps Michael Knight give him KITT.

tina_als_girl said:
The SciFi forums were okay for the first few months or so, but we ended up with a troll infestation, which is why we migrated over here. You'll find that many members here were originally from the SciFi QL board. That's how I personally met several of my friends here.

:Love To All:
~ Joy ~

I just took a look at the new sci-fi.com forums. They are much more functional and look much better now. Still no QL forum there, though.

However, the very first thread I looked at had people snapping at each other and telling each other that they don't know how to read and I just closed it and came back here. It's amazing how the technology may have changed for the better over there, but without the great people and constant moderation, it's the same old crap.

Thanks you guys!

I found Al's Place in March of '04. I had joined the Sci-Fi Boards and saw a bunch of threads about Al's Place and decided to give it a go. I am reall glad I did.

I am now one of TVS Authors. (Begining last season. (MJ, I still have to try and get to that other story I told you I was going to write. Maybe for early next year. Been Way busy here.)) And I have made some really great friends here. All in all, it's a great place to be and the Mods do an excellent job keeping it that way.

leaper1 said:
I joined soon after ziggysego, so I can safely say I'm an 'oldie'. But I echo the sentiments of how great it is that QL keeps roping in new members.

It doesn't matter how long you have loved the show, a week, a month, a year, a decade. It endures, and we love to share our love of the show.

Yeh, man, feel the love!!!:dreaming

I dont know but for some reason I consiter myself an oldie to a certain length just because I was here back in the ezboard days although it was like in the last month of it cuz I only got like 14something posts in before it came here. I had heard that they were having problems over there and I made the suggestion of eaither checking out this place or proboards for a new location. I doubt Brian even saw that post I think he probably just found this place by himself cuz I dont remember a response.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
I had heard that they were having problems over there and I made the suggestion of eaither checking out this place or proboards for a new location. I doubt Brian even saw that post I think he probably just found this place by himself cuz I dont remember a response.

No, Morgan contacted me about using vbulletin and set up the board. He still does all the technical stuff here by the way. Without him, we'd probably still be on the crappy ezboard. Thanks, Morgan!

oh cool, Yeah haven't seen him around for a while a lot of the people I knew at the ezboard and the beginning of this one dont come around much anymore, like Claire, I havent seen her for ages. I kind of miss the days when all of us would hang out in the chat room.

Chiming In

Hi...

I joined Al's Place in July 2005 so I guess I'm still fairly new...although I've jumped in with both feet...

The group here is wonderful! Sure...there have been a few bumps along the road...but the Admin (Brian) and Mods (I'm not sure who all are) are GREAT. They keep this site friendly, safe, and respectable. Best place on the net!

As to the Sci-Fi boards...I've been there recently (for the ENTEPRISE) forum. I'm sad to say...it is still troll territory (although not nearly as bad as StarTrek.com.) I just don't see why people would choose to go to a site that is set up to discuss a show to just trash it. Sure, every show has good and bad about it (even QL had some things that leave me scratching my head)...but overall...it seems to me if you hate or dislike something...why waste your time on it? It seems like a thouroughly useless endeavor. I can think of much better ways to spend ones limited existance on. But then again...that's why I'm not a troll.

I wish I had met the Rod Man. He sounds like a hoot.

As to chats...I come through and look to see if someone is sitting in the room. If I have time, I'll join in then. Sometimes I'll even put myself in the room and wait. With the sound...it's easy to just stay there and multitask until someone enters. So...if you want chat...hang out in the room...someone will come in eventually. You just have to be patient.

Also...we haven't had a QL Song Sync recently. Tom and I were talking about doing one soon. The only thing you need is a QL CD...we choose which song to play (Somewhere in the Night, Medley, and Imagine seem to be the most popular)...and then everyone starts it at the same time. I think at one time we had like 10 people around the world doing it. I'd like to have one for the Con in 2009 with 1000's around the world doing Imagine. Wouldn't THAT send a message to TPTB that QL is alive and well...(but we wouldn't mind a new movie with Dean & Scott!)

Anyways....til later

Wasn't meant as a diss

Hey...nothing major...

Just that things did not always flow easily...some of the questions...

1. did Sam's body leap or just his soul

2. The whole Donna thing (some people are glad...some not...but the main thing is...it was a storyline created out of a RL tiff between Don and Deborah...and the resolution wasn't the best)

3. The third black screen (I really need to bring that up?)

4. Ziggy male or female?

5. What WAS the purpose of the Marilyn leap...

6. The Leap Between the State???? (lot's of head scratching although it is one of my favorites...Gotta love Scott in that uniform!)

7. The LHO...great epi...but at the same time...lots of questions.

8. The leaps before his birthdate.

9. When exactly DID his father die?

There are others...and certainly the questions make up some of the great discussions that have taken place on the board.

Remember...I'm an "A #1" fan of QL here. I LOVED the show.

(I'm an original leaper. I was going through college when it was on it's first run...getting my B.S. in Chemistry. Never missed an episode. I called my Sci. Calc Ziggy (had to hit the buttons hard)...I even took Modern Physics - which wasn't required for the degree but it got into the Quantum stuff - because of the show. Went into deep depression after watching MI in May 1993...took YEARS to get over it. I now write fanfiction. HOWEVER...nothing is perfect...even QL.)

I watched QL from that start too on the BBC here in Ireland.

I too called my calculator Ziggy. Got some strange looks from my classmates, but they understood the reference.

Even today, when my mobile phone "plays up" I give it a whack or two. People have commented to me, that I hit it the same way Al hits his handlink! lol

Also, I am a member of my local GAA Club. (An Irish sporting association). There's a good link between members all over Ireland, we just haven't met each other face-to-face. However when I'm at matches, people come up to me and ask... "Are you Ziggy?" lol

Re: Joining the Board

Not in regards to the board. From a standpoint of age...yes...I am older. Significantly.