Leaping home

Semi-Automatic Leaper

Project QL Intern
May 10, 2006
Wales UK
In the mirror image, he's told that he's been leaping himself around and that all he has to do, is to wish to return home and that is enough. Although we find that he felt he had to fix what happened with Al. So after that, why didn't he leap home? Why couldn't he opt to go home?

Does this mean that he's forever leaping as himself? Or can he choose to do so?

ziggysego said:
I think Sam asked Al the Bartender if he could go and save Al and Beth's marriage. After that, he got lost in time. He still refused to believe that he master of his own destiny. Or prehaps, deep down, Sam didn't want to go back home as he felt he had more wrongs to put right.

He seems torn in the Mirror Image episode. When Al the Bartender asks him, "what do you want?" Sam says "I want to go home" with a tear down his face, but then he states he has to fix something that went wrong with Al. Even though Sam is told he's leaping himself around he seems unable to believe it, as you stated. I think it's a case of him deep down still wanting to help people and feeling a sense of duty to help others.

Although it's interesting what Al the Bartender says to Sam. He equates Sam's predicament to a priest's life, where they are sent from one parish to the next, and they have to accept that choice and take responsibility. Even though they are given a reprieve (or sabbatical) once in a while. He mentioned to Sam having a break because his assignments were going to get tougher? Could that be in relation to the proposed 6th season? Where Sam is in the future, without reference as to what's gone wrong or what's happened? With no records or information to access about the future it would prove tricky. That statement by Al the Bartender implies that his leaping was about to take a new turn and that Sam somehow would be taken to the 'next level'.

"home" is a relative term. i have come to realize that more and more. my mom often talks about "it's not home anymore", for where we live, the Bronx (where she grew up), & where her mom has lived for years. it's quite odd how we call "home" a home...huh? i say wherever my mom is when she's supportive, funny, & happy is home for me. sam considers it, i believe, several times to be where his brother, father, mother, & sister are. remember he said that "i am home al" when he was 16, "i know al, she's all right, she's going home" (evie the model/one strobe over the line), etc. that's what led me to believe that sam perhaps died, then that's why i cry over it, then i come to my senses and believe "home" for sam is with his "first" family...and my dad & i are right...ql is all in his mind...that's the basis for my ql fan fic i am thinking about "righting write" (is that a good joke, i like it; weak attempt? honestly!)