I want to like the new series, but…

sna77

Project QL Intern
Jan 7, 2023
I want to like the new series, but…

it’s just painful. The hologram girl is a wet blanket—none of the Sam / Al energy. At the heart of it, the original show is a guy friend show.

I hate the pacing, dramatic music, and weird side stories with characters. The original show was about a story, and didnt rely on this nonsense.

This show reminds me of every junky Star Trek series that lost the magic of The Original Series. It took about 5 failures for Star Trek to come up with Strange New Worlds—and reclaim the magic of TOS.

The original QL often reminds me of TOS—Kirk/Spock’s relationship often mirrors that of Sam/Al—and the bravado of Sam parallels Kirk.

I’m really trying with this new show bc I want the Sam/Al story to have another chapter. Just wish it wasnt done this way. Meh

Going back to what the OP said about Addison I think the episode Ben Song for the Defense may have been detrimental to the show as it shows Jenn to work better as a hologram to Ben than Addison.

Reactions: feldon30
To be fair, this revival is not attempting to be the original but rather bring it into the current era and Addison is no longer a solo hologram, she shuffles in along with the other major members of the team.

I, however, will grant that Jen and Ian seem to have an easier time focusing on and sympathizing with the leap situation whereas there is always a personal side thing with Addison that focused on Ben.

Addison served better in the engaged couple dynamic, because both were better able to play off of each other in relation to the leap.
Although I am not entirely against Hannah, I do not like their dynamic anymore as strained exes with lingering feelings issues.

• Love
Reactions: alsplacebartender
I really want to love this show, but the story and tangents it's going on makes it hard to love. Having not re-watched the original series I'm not trying to compare or WISH it was like the original series. However, the story telling is weak, and there's just too many distractions to make it enjoyable.

Shame really.

• Sad
Reactions: alsplacebartender
I really want to love this show, but the story and tangents it's going on makes it hard to love. Having not re-watched the original series I'm not trying to compare or WISH it was like the original series. However, the story telling is weak, and there's just too many distractions to make it enjoyable.

Shame really.
I'm so sorry to hear you aren't enjoying it. There are episodes I like better than others, but I like the overall theme of the show and want to see where they take it. I hope your opinion will change eventually but respect it nonetheless!

However, the story telling is weak, and there's just too many distractions to make it enjoyable.

Shame really.
That's what happens when you share the spotlight of the episode between the leap itself and the going-ons back at HQ.

When they first announced the splitting of episodes I was looking forward to seeing if it could be done in the same off-beat manner of The Leap back and season 5s Killin Time ep, imho it hasn't quite hit the mark, everything's a drama and convoluted.

I hope in time and over the following seasons the focus is back on the leaper ( Ben or Sam)