How Would You Handle Being a Leaper?

StrayStar

Project QL Intern
Dec 17, 2010
Romania
quantum-stills.blogspot.com
One of this things I admire most about Sam Beckett is his ability to face up to any situation that he leaps into. I love the beginning sequence of each episode where he begins by being totally taken by surprise, but then slowly comes to understand where and who he is, and what he has to do. I've always been amazed at his ability to invest himself completely into his "mission" and to find the resources within himself to solve any problem that he's given. I wouldn't be able to do that. In fact, I wish I had half of his ability to take whatever cards life hands him and make the best of a situation.

Of course, Sam is a genius. I suppose that helps. And perhaps the fact that he doesn't remember much of his own life is also a factor because that allows him to focus on the present moment rather than dwell on personal/past issues.

How do you think you'd manage if you were a leaper?

That above all else is what made him a heroic character. A lot of people are presented as heroes, but Sam dealing with that situation week after week is what really made us feel how much he put into helping others.

He was a genius, but often what he needed was street smarts and common sense. Which is why Sam and Al made such a great team. It was always interesting how they ended up "solving the puzzle" as it were. Sometimes with logic, but usually with emotion. It was great to see Al be "absolutely certain" of the correct path, and then Sam finding his own way with nothing but intuition. As smart as he was, it was Sam's heart that saved the day quite often. Even with Ziggy and the historical information, Sam usually ended up having to rely on wits more than hindsight.

Unless GTF is offering a helping hand and would make sure that you succeed, or at least don't die, ala Double Identity.

Season Six could have been such a powerful season, with Sam now unequivocally knowing he can travel anywhere, anytime. Who here wouldn't bend the rules? Sam bent the rules even when he didn't know he could. I'd go back to myself as 18 and have a blast. Course I'd be tempted to go back to several points in my life and fix mistakes, but that would be a paradox now wouldn't it...