An intro and a question...

Operator13

Project QL Intern
Sep 4, 2006
Hi all, newbie here! I got into QL more or less because of Dean Stockwell - I'm a classic film enthusiast and I had no idea that Dean had a career beyond the early 60s until someone pointed out to me his role in QL. I recorded one of the marathons on Sci-Fi recently and was instantly hooked. I only knew of Scott Bakula from a recording I have of a Stephen Sondheim show, of all things, so it was nice to really see him in his element here. And of course it's just wonderful to see Dean in something semi-recent (not to mention in a character so different from the sensitive, introverted types he mostly played)...here I was thinking he'd just dropped off the face of the earth, career-wise, after the 60s.

So, here is my question: I've got the R1 DVD editions of S1 and S2, and I am aware of the music replacement issue. Do the versions they show on the Sci-Fi channel keep the music intact, or have they been tampered with as well?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

The versions on Sci-Fi have tiny bits (usually only seconds-worth) of scenes cut out, but all the original music is in place.

So, for example, when you watch the episode "MIA" on Sci-Fi, you get to hear Ray Charles singing "Georgia" in the final scene. But on the DVD, you hear some horrible generic muzak. But on the other hand, I think there are a few pieces of dialogue that are in the DVD episodes that aren't in the "syndicut" episodes on Sci-Fi.

But seeing as how I have only ever seen the eps on Sci-Fi, I much prefer my VHS recordings that have the music preserved, than paying $35-40 for DVDs that have a couple "new" (to me) lines of dialogue.

But that's just me.

Anyway, welcome to the board! I hope you enjoy it here. It's a wonderful place for all things QL.

By the way, seeing as how you seem to be a Dean Stockwell enthusiast, have you heard of the Sassies Yahoogroup? I think you'd enjoy the discussions there--we cover everything from his first time on stage as a young child, all the way up to his latest film (which hasn't been released, but we recently found a trailer for it). You can PM me for more info if you're interested.

:Love To All:
~ Joy ~

Welcome to the board! You'll find that there are a lot of Dean enthusiasts right here, so you should fit in just fine!

Welcome from the resident :wacko Brit.

I was originally much more of a Scott fan, but as I've got more into the series and into writing fanfic, I've come to appreciate Dean a lot more too.

There are plenty of Al-coholics here, so I'm sure you'll feel right at home.

Welcome!!! :) As has been mentioned, you'll find yourself in good company with Dean / Al fans here. And as Joy mentioned, if you are a fan of Dean Stockwell, you will find LOADS of info on him at the Sassies...

hello fellow dean fan. i agree with Jennie - go to the sassies, i've been there about 3 months and it's really helped me get into his work, i've got a stack of videos and dvds of his films at the mo
i totaly agree with you about the introverted and sensitive characters he usualy plays. although i found quantum leap first and then started seeing him in other things, it's interesting to watch him grow in style.
so, welcome to alsplace, and go to hunt out the stockwell sassies.

- Tess

Thank you for the info, Joy - looks like I'll be going back to the Sci-Fi channel after all! I have a PAL-compatible player, so I might look into the R2 DVDs, too. It's really a shame that they had to make such omissions; this was the first TV-on-DVD purchase I've made, but it appears that music clearance is a problem across the board. The only other show I’d really like to own is Ally McBeal, and its release has been held back for the same reason.

Glad to see I'm among more Dean fans! It just blows my mind that an actor of such immense talent who was in films with the likes of William Powell, Myrna Loy, Errol Flynn, Gene Kelly and Katharine Hepburn (to name a precious few)...is still active in movies today. I'll check out the Yahoo group!

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! Only one day and I can tell this is by far the friendliest message board I've been to. :)