Re-imagining Quantum Leap

LadyKayoss

Project QL Intern
Jan 26, 2006
Michigan
Since the board's been a little slow, I thought I'd throw out some conversation starters to liven things up. Hopefully, these aren't repeats of other threads.

In another thread, we discussed who we would tolerate to see play Sam and Al in a remake of Quantum Leap. While I don't like the thought, it made me wonder, what would you like to see in a re-imagining (not a remake that is basically the same as the source material, or a continuation, but a true re-imagining like Battlestar Galactica, for example.) What would you like to see changed? What would you like to see more or less of? And what kind of cameo roles would you like seeing Scott and Dean in?

Last edited:
sorry missed this one!! LK, I know i'm a little on the dim side, but what exactly do you mean by re-imaging. Do you mean the new Battlestar with Coutney Love in it? I would call this a 'remake' but only because i don't remember the original so don't know how they have changed it from the original.

Am I on the right track here if i suggested that:-
Sam can remember more of his former life
Al is not so eccentric but still funny, maybe a different style of humour and rapport thats between them.
Sam can leap home more often (I really like this in journeyman) or perhaps has some way of having more control over his leaps but not total control
No wife!!!

There are a few suggestions for now, not sure what role i'd like to see Scott and Dean cameo in, but I'll give it some thought

Bexter said:
sorry missed this one!! LK, I know i'm a little on the dim side, but what exactly do you mean by re-imaging. Do you mean the new Battlestar with Coutney Love in it?

Maybe you mean Katee Sackhoff. There is a resemblance. (Courtney Love on Battlestar... now there's an interesting idea! :) )

Bexter said:
I would call this a 'remake' but only because i don't remember the original so don't know how they have changed it from the original.

The 1970s original Battlestar was yer basic low-budget TV action-adventure aimed at the Star Wars generation. It was a pretty straightforward good humans vs. evil Cylons setup.

The new Battlestar is... an apocalyptic nightmare. They've taken the real implications of the destruction of a civilization very seriously. The whole tone of the show is very different, very dark and ambiguous.

A reimagining of QL wouldn't have to go the same road--at least I hope it wouldn't. The show did touch, once or twice, on the darker consequences of what happens when you go around changing history. A new show that delved more into that could be really depressing! So I would hope for a reimagining that doesn't follow the example set by BSG.

Anyway, one thing I would change is the rather rigid format the show followed every week--new leap-in, Al appears, Sam solves problem, leaps out. I would show more of the project, maybe have continuing storylines or subplots, more regular characters.

Snish said:
Maybe you mean Katee Sackhoff. There is a resemblance. (Courtney Love on Battlestar... now there's an interesting idea! :) ).

Wasn't she in something? Or am i way off, think i only saw one ep late one night when i was pregnant and couldn't sleep... so i'll blame pregnancy brain for mistaking them.

Snish said:
The 1970s original Battlestar was yer basic low-budget TV action-adventure aimed at the Star Wars generation. It was a pretty straightforward good humans vs. evil Cylons setup.

The new Battlestar is... an apocalyptic nightmare. They've taken the real implications of the destruction of a civilization very seriously. The whole tone of the show is very different, very dark and ambiguous.

A reimagining of QL wouldn't have to go the same road--at least I hope it wouldn't. The show did touch, once or twice, on the darker consequences of what happens when you go around changing history. A new show that delved more into that could be really depressing! So I would hope for a reimagining that doesn't follow the example set by BSG.

Anyway, one thing I would change is the rather rigid format the show followed every week--new leap-in, Al appears, Sam solves problem, leaps out. I would show more of the project, maybe have continuing storylines or subplots, more regular characters.

Actually delving into the impact his leaps made could be quite good, especially if he had to leap again to fix things if he stuffed up, it would be good for suspense but would certainly it would need to be well balanced with humour and lighter moments. I agree the format was quite rigid and i like your idea of subplots and more regulars.

Bexter said:
sorry missed this one!! LK, I know i'm a little on the dim side, but what exactly do you mean by re-imaging. Do you mean the new Battlestar with Coutney Love in it? I would call this a 'remake' but only because i don't remember the original so don't know how they have changed it from the original.

Sorry; I couldn't think of a good way to clarify it at the time. I don't know if there's an actual difference between a remake and a re-imagining, but the way I see it (and this is just my interpretation) a remake tends to stay close to the original source material, perhaps updating it to fit the times but is otherwise faithful to it, while a re-imagining takes the main themes in new directions. Or, it could just be that 're-imagining' is just the hip new way of saying 'remake.' :lol

Snish said:

I didn't mean for it to follow the exact same road as BSG - that would probably manage to make QL's end even more depressing than it is now! I just used it as an example because it's one of the most striking instances of a current remake/re-imagining/whatever. If it went the BSG way, Al would probably be a tough-talking cigar-smoking woman!

LadyKayoss said:
Or, it could just be that 're-imagining' is just the hip new way of saying 'remake.' :lol !

That might be the case. :D But I think a "reimagining" takes more liberties with the source material (and thereby annoys fans of the original even more).

LadyKayoss said:
If it went the BSG way, Al would probably be a tough-talking cigar-smoking woman!

:lol Played by Katee Sackhoff! She does a great job with that cigar-smoking chick routine.

OMG, Katee Sackhoff as Al is a truly bizarre thought... oh no... the more I think about it, the more I actually like it... she's got the attitude... she could tell jokes about her ex-husbands and make you believe them... hmm, she comes up a little short on the compassionate side though... whew, I found a reason to reject the idea.
I think I'll go lie down now...

Snish said:
OMG, Katee Sackhoff as Al is a truly bizarre thought... oh no... the more I think about it, the more I actually like it... she's got the attitude... she could tell jokes about her ex-husbands and make you believe them... hmm, she comes up a little short on the compassionate side though... whew, I found a reason to reject the idea.
I think I'll go lie down now...

Horribly, I could see that, too... hence my above comment!

Since I asked the question, I figure I should answer it, as well.

I'd like to see:
-More of the project
-A story arc - QL's Leap of the Week style meant episodes could be played out of sequence and still make sense, but it which doesn't usually give us a story with lots of depth (though QL did an excellent job with what it had!)
-Consequences of Sam altering history
-Government interference, such as attempting to take over the project.

Some of this is stuff that QL only touched upon, and could be expanded to good effect.

As for what kind of roles I'd like to see Scott and Dean in, I'd like something very different from their QL roles. Maybe they could be senators, with one of them (Scott) fighting to shut down QL, while another (Dean) wants to support it.

Bexter said:
oh no!!! you couldn't cast scott in an unlikeable character!! Can you imagine the uproar.

*evil laughter* I know... Wouldn't that be fun?

Seriously, though, I was just trying to think of something that would be very different from Sam. And it's fascinating to watch Scott play an unlikeable character, or so it seems to me.

yes i know what you mean, i personally LOVE watching my fave actors in evil roles, makes them even more attractive and while you are at it.. can you cast David Caruso and Tommy Lee Jones in there somewhere??? Especially if you cast them as the evil villian types *swoons* Phew I'm going to go have a cold shower now. :heybaby

In my ideal quantum leap remake I definately think they should show more of whats going on at the project and develop the characters more there. The story lines are great but loving the characters also makes a series succesful and when there are only really 2 you can develop then it can become a little stale.

Anyway have heaps of other ideas but kids what dinner so better dash

LadyKayoss said:
Seriously, though, I was just trying to think of something that would be very different from Sam. And it's fascinating to watch Scott play an unlikeable character, or so it seems to me.

I like versatile actors, and I like seeing actors do completely different things in different roles. So, sure, I think it would be fun to see Scott play a bad guy!

If i'll re-imagine QL without Scott&Dean(but with a guest appearance by Scott/Sam&Dean/Al) i would like to see Sammy-Jo as the observer and one of Al's Daughters as the Leaper,But that's me,So... No to Queen Latifa. ;)

alsplacebartender said:
In a re-imagining of QL, what would you think of Queen Latifa as the holographic observer to Jennifer Garner as Sammi Jo?

;) Think about it really good before answering!

Seriously? Is Deborah P. thinking about Queen Latifah? I think she would make a terrific Observer--except that I would have liked to see one of Al's daughters do it.

The movie really needs some strong connections to the original, or it's not going to feel like QL, no matter how well written it is. If it's mostly about Sammi Jo, and she has a new Observer... well, where are Sam and Al?

if Sammi-Jo is the new leaper, can we assume that Sam made it home? if so can't Scott guest appear as Sam (her father) and Al appear as Al, but in a different role at the project, maybe he can be in charge of the whole thing. Or I guess Sammi-Jo could start leaping in an attempt to get her father home at last, in which case scott could still be sam.

But all the above is about the movie, that continues on from the series, not really a re-imaging of quantum leap using the original material and original characters.

Would everyones idea of a re-imaging use Sam and Al? or would the leaper and observer be different people altogether? I haven't seen the new bionic woman, but is that the same character? or does she have a different name completely. I can't actually remember the characters name in the original.

My opinion would be that in a re-imaging, the leaper would still be Sam and the Observer would still be Al, and the concept the same but I felt that in the original there were too many holes which would cetainly need to be patched, i.e. if its him that is leaping and others only see the aura of the other person, how does he fit into the clothes (thats probably been answered somewhere, but i haven't read it) Little things like that really bug me, I'd prefer that its his conciousness that is leaping into the person, not him physically, which of course would stuff up storylines like the one where the person is blind and he's not, but there you go.

Anyway have waffled long enough, i hate reading long posts so won't inflict a longer one on all of you.8)

Ha Ha - just wondering?

If that re-imaged 6 million dollar man, would he now be 6 billion dollar man due to inflation????:lol :lol :lol

Oh, and how much would my husbands six million dollar man thermos flask now be worth?? (not to mention his original star wars lego)

tina_als_girl said:
I wouldn't mind Queen as the Observer! I absolutely adore her!

Just as long as we get some good screentime for Our Boys, I'm good with it.

Joy

Latifah has a flair for comedy. I think she could make a terrific Observer.