Question on Pilot of QL

jmellissa

Project QL Intern
Aug 22, 2005
Coos Bay Oregon
I seen the first show of QL last night and found somthing that I had not see or heard before.

When Al talked about the computer that called Ziggy. But the things is that he once or twice called Ziggy a "he" I thoguth Ziggy was a "she". I did miss somthing.

And then the ball game that Al said that he went to, he said that it was the play-off's game. But What year is it for AL? I can't find where it says it.

Thanks for any help, Julie

The Leap Back takes place on September 18th, 1999 in the future. It was broadcast on September 18th, 1991.

Sam's voiceover at 31:50 on the DVD:
"It felt as if I had never leaped. My pre-leap memory had returned, and the last 4 years were fading as quickly as a bad dream in the light of a beautiful morning. Life would be perfect if Al wasn't in such desparate straits."

Although leap dates in the future don't always correspond with the air date (Lee Harvey Oswald was Feb 14-16, 1999 and aired September 1992), we can guess that the pilot takes place either on September 1995 or January 1996.

The date of issue on Sam's driver's license in Mirror Image is September 2nd, 1995, so either Sept '95 or Jan '96 works for the pilot leap date.

It's so nice having these episodes in DVD quality on my hard drive so I can review them. ;)

Last edited:
Date of the Leap

"It felt as if I had never leaped. My pre-leap memory had returned, and the last 4 years were fading as quickly as a bad dream in the light of a beautiful morning. Life would be perfect if Al wasn't in such desparate straits."
This would put the year into th 1995. However, the playoffs between first the Lakers and the Seattle Supersonics are listed below. LAL won this part and then went on to play San Antonio (SAS)

West Conf 1st Rd (3-1): Los Angeles Lakers over Seattle Supersonics
Game 1 (1995-04-27 at SEA) SEA 96, LAL 71 SEA leads 1-0
Game 2 (1995-04-29 at SEA) LAL 84, SEA 82 Tied 1-1
Game 3 (1995-05-01 at LAL) LAL 105, SEA 101 LAL leads 2-1
Game 4 (1995-05-04 at LAL) LAL 114, SEA 110 LAL wins 3-1

West Conf Semis (4-2): San Antonio Spurs over Los Angeles Lakers
Game 1 (1995-05-06 at SAS) SAS 110, LAL 94 SAS leads 1-0
Game 2 (1995-05-08 at SAS) SAS 97, LAL 90 SAS leads 2-0
Game 3 (1995-05-12 at LAL) LAL 92, SAS 85 SAS leads 2-1
Game 4 (1995-05-14 at LAL) SAS 80, LAL 71 SAS leads 3-1
Game 5 (1995-05-16 at SAS) LAL 98, SAS 96 SAS leads 3-2
Game 6 (1995-05-18 at LAL) SAS 100, LAL 88 SAS wins 4-2

The playoffs thus indicate that the project is in May and show indicates that the leap is in September. The show would indicate that Sam leaps into 1956 on very early on a Friday morning and flys the X-2 on Monday (4 days) Thus...when Al tells him they will retrieve him on Tues that would be Sam's Tuesday, but Al's Thursday (therefore I think Sam Leapt late night on May 13, 1995 (a Saturday) and Al went to the game in LAL on May 16, 1995 (a Tuesday) (BTW...the May 16 game did go into OT and the Laker's won it 98 to 96. Adiditionally, it was held in San Antonio which woud have been easier for Al to go to from Stallions Gate.)

This has Al at a PLAYOFF Laker Game and still fits the year as indicated in Leap Back.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. You'll find out why soon.

Last edited:
feldon30 said:
The Leap Back takes place on September 18th, 1999 in the future. It was broadcast on September 18th, 1991.

It's so nice having these episodes in DVD quality on my hard drive so I can review them. ;)

Thank you Morgan! I knew that it said SOMEWHERE that it was 1999! :hurray:

Ziggy's voice

Also...early on in the show...Ziggy was a he. Later Ziggy started being referred to as She. Certainly, Deborah Pratt's voice had something to do with that.

Sam's Voiceover

:D Wow... thanks too all of you! Youl've answersed some of the other questions that I also had. But I have to wonder why did they change Ziggy, from a he to a she?

Sam's voiceover at 31:50 on the DVD:

I for some reason don't remember this while I was watching the other night. Feldon30, are You still talking about the pilot? I will have to go and see it again, because this would have helped me put things in oder (I think) Thanks for your help.:D

From what I can gather, it was a case of Don Bellisario's famous Post Creative Rationalisation. They got to The Leap Back and decided that it would be cool if Deborah Pratt voiced Ziggy, and then Don realised that, all the way through the series, they'd refered to Ziggy as a 'he'. So he just shrugged, basically said 'what the heck', and just got on with it.

The line about 1999 and how the 4 years were quickly fading was from the Leap Back which was the 4th season opener. Again...that story was written at least partially because Bellasario was fighting with his wife, Deborah Pratt and was a "pre-emptive strike" against her story which aired the next year (Trilogy). Still, it establishes the year.

The Pilot establishes the time frame for the project time when Sam leapt. Since the Lakers in an overtime playoff game were mentioned, that (with the year mentioned in Leap Back) shows that Sam leapt in May 1995.

I've written a fan fiction heavily based on Genesis. It can be found at

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3320059/1/

I hope you enjoy and will provide feedback on the story.

asearcher said:
The line about 1999 and how the 4 years were quickly fading was from the Leap Back which was the 4th season opener. Again...that story was written at least partially because Bellasario was fighting with his wife, Deborah Pratt and was a "pre-emptive strike" against her story which aired the next year (Trilogy). Still, it establishes the year.

The Pilot establishes the time frame for the project time when Sam leapt. Since the Lakers in an overtime playoff game were mentioned, that (with the year mentioned in Leap Back) shows that Sam leapt in May 1995.

I've written a fan fiction heavily based on Genesis. It can be found at

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3320059/1/

I hope you enjoy and will provide feedback on the story.

Thanks I will look at it as soon as I have time to do so. :D

DL Expiration

According to QL A-Z...the expiration is 1998. It doesn't say anything about the day of issue. Someone may be able to check that elsewhere.

P.S.: I just popped in MI and have the screen up with his wallet and the Expire is DEFINITELY 1998. The date of issue is 08/02/95.

HOWEVER...This is off of the NM DL Renewal page: "A New Mexico driver's license is valid for either four or eight years. The license shows the expiration date (usually 30 days after your birthday)."

So if the Expiration (in big letters) is showing 1998 and the license is good for 4 years...then the final date on the license SHOULD show '94 (or 90...but it doesn't look like THAT at all). So if it shows '95, that can be figured as a typo and Sam was too busy with the project to get it fixed.

(BTW...can ANYONE get a blown up picture from the screencap of the DL and put it either on the Mirror Image Page or the Episode: Mirror Image Page? Please?)

OHHH...and one final thing. I don't think the signature at the bottom looks like a guys handwriting. And from a handwriting analysis POV...the k in Beckett is definitely done wrong. For a genius, the loop should be much higher.

Last edited:
I've gotta be honest here -- they did a real rush job on the hologram effect on Sam on his driver's license.

Of course while I was at it, I grabbed a few more pics...

Attachments

• mi_driverslicense01.jpg
    mi_driverslicense01.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 45
  • mi_driverslicense02.jpg
    mi_driverslicense02.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 57
  • mi_beth01.jpg
    mi_beth01.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 39
  • mi_gtf01.jpg
    mi_gtf01.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 35
  • mi_sam01.jpg
    mi_sam01.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 38
A few more.

Attachments

• mi_sam02.jpg
    mi_sam02.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 33
  • el3_sam01.jpg
    el3_sam01.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 30
  • el_alia01.jpg
    el_alia01.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 31
  • el_zoey01.jpg
    el_zoey01.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 31
  • el_thames01.jpg
    el_thames01.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Interesting... Sam didn't have his driver's license with him when he first leaped in 1995. He was wearing the Fermi suit, which has no pockets, right? So how did he get the license he had in 1995 when he leaped into 1953?

I love the way this show fries my brain.

asearcher said:
OHHH...and one final thing. I don't think the signature at the bottom looks like a guys handwriting. And from a handwriting analysis POV...the k in Beckett is definitely done wrong. For a genius, the loop should be much higher.

I don't know about that. I was friends with an INCREDIBLY smart guy who was pre-med...and he had the most BEAUTIFUL Handwriting. You'd have to say it didn't look like a guy's handwriting (and I agree, Sam's doesn't really either), but like I say, I do personally know some guys who HAVE gorgeous handwriting.

Just a thought...

Snish said:
Interesting... Sam didn't have his driver's license with him when he first leaped in 1995. He was wearing the Fermi suit, which has no pockets, right? So how did he get the license he had in 1995 when he leaped into 1953?

I love the way this show fries my brain.

I couldn't agree more with you! I too just love the way this show make me think and rethink and then just like the show even more. :dreaming

Anyway, could it be possable that when Sam lept into himself that some how he ended up in his "upto date" clothing? I hope I said that right...? I just don't see any other way for him to get his walet, if he didn't have before hand. Just a thought.

Oh and thank you feldon30 for the cool pics!!:D

Nitpick: I have a problem with the NMDL. The expiration date would not just give a year. It would at the very least give a month, and more likely give a specific date. That opinion is based on the many DLs I've seen, as well as the information that is returned when a DL is run through the computer. JM2C...

NM DL Renewal page: "A New Mexico driver's license is valid for either four or eight years. The license shows the expiration date (usually 30 days after your birthday)."

Actually the a real NMDL would have that. It is obvious that this DL was not accurate as a prop. But as someone wrote at another site, usually, most people see something once and go on. It's only we fans who go over and over something and really get into continuity, characters, and accuracy issues that really get concerned about things like that. Most of the world just glances over and accepts it

As to Sam's handwriting...it's not that I don't think the guys can have beautiful handwriting (my husbands is actually quite nice) it's that the way this one looked is REALLY more feminine. The loops on the S tend towards that way.

Anyways...since the license was for a fictional character, I assume that this was made up in a props department. It is entirely possible that it was a woman that made it and thus, would make sense that the handwriting looks feminine.

While Sam may have lept in the Fermi suit originally, many of the people he leaped into had a wallet (Honeymoon Express) or money. It is logical that if Sam leaped into himself that his clothing would reflect what he would have been wearing had he been at the Project. Thus change and wallet in his pockets.

SBeckett said:
While Sam may have lept in the Fermi suit originally, many of the people he leaped into had a wallet (Honeymoon Express) or money. It is logical that if Sam leaped into himself that his clothing would reflect what he would have been wearing had he been at the Project. Thus change and wallet in his pockets.

This is what I was thinking.:)

I always figured that Al's Place was more a state of mind than an actual place, removed from time, and that 'Al' was able to control the way things appeared. That's how I PCR'd the driving license and clothes. Cos, really, if you think about it, if Sam Leaped as himself, then he should have been nekkid ... darnit it. WHY didn't they go that route??

EmmaCMF said:
I always figured that Al's Place was more a state of mind than an actual place, removed from time, and that 'Al' was able to control the way things appeared. That's how I PCR'd the driving license and clothes. Cos, really, if you think about it, if Sam Leaped as himself, then he should have been nekkid ... darnit it. WHY didn't they go that route??

I'm wth you there pal.
However, I've read that the original concept for the pilot had Sam waking up nekkid in the desert and they changed that too. *Shucks.

Guess they didn't want the show pushed to a slot past the watershed, dagnabit.

"The Time Travelers Wife" has the hero time-traveling and arriving nekkid, which is why is it unlikely to become a film, or at least not a family film.

Yeah, the Nekkid in the Desert concept probably would have been a little too much for NBC back then!

Last I heard, the rights for The Time Traveller's Wife (great book) had been bought by Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt, but, presumably things have changed following their divorce.

EmmaCMF said:

What, The Wrong Stuff wasn't close enough for you? :D

After I asked the question about the license, I just filed it under "stuff arranged by GTFW." (And maybe GTFW has never looked at a real New Mexico driver's license to know what information should be on there. :) ) Al's Place is outside of ordinary reality, so anything goes...

Well thinking about it this way, how could that really be Sam's actual license? Fermi suits don't have much in the way of pockets, so the license was not with Sam in the accelerator chamber. It would probably be an issue to have the license completely disappear in the future (that's crossing into a whole new land of mind warping thoughts) but the license was probably as illusion so Sam would at least understand that he was, indeed, him.

And Sam has a velcro wallet. I should have figured! That one made me giggle.

Nekkid

Cos, really, if you think about it, if Sam Leaped as himself, then he should have been nekkid ... darnit it. WHY didn't they go that route??

Cause it aired on American TV and not European?