Blood Moon

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Blood Moon
March 10, 1975

Outside of London, England

Leaping into a coffin is a first for Sam, who has become an artist who lives like a vampire. It is the evening of Blood Moon, a sacrifice to Count Bathory and another couple have come to share in the ceremony. Sam doesn't believe in vampires, but Al says he's the real thing. Sam must prevent his host's girlfriend from becoming the sacrifice. And where the heck is a mirror when you need one?

Written by: Tommy Thompson
Directed by: Alan J. Levi

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
I always liked vampire stories and this was good. It's the first time Sam leaps into something that isn't supposed to exist. Then there's superstitous Al who's afraid of vampires and skeptical Sam who doesn't believe in them.

this is a very freaky episode and not one of my favorites, but i liked Alexandra a lot and the harlarious vampire jokes between Sam and Al.

Indeed, the freaked out by vampires thing between Sam and Al was great. Al popping in with garlic around his neck, and Sam making Al repeat "there is no such things as vampires"...that was fun. This isn't one of my favorite episodes, but it's pretty good.

Samantha Beckett

my and kristen's favorite line is
Al: Sam he's got the all the signs of the undead!
sam: then you must have all the signs of the braindead!
lololololol.

I like this episode the banter between Sam and Al was so funny!

The thing that got my goat was the accents....I mean come on who talks like that???

Anyhow the thing that always makes me think is Al.
Al is very superstitious for a Catholic. He's either very broadminded or riddled with contraction. It's probably abit of both.

Riddled with contradictions, yes.

But also true to who he is - remember, Al is a Navy man, and sailors are well known for being a superstitious bunch.

Last edited:
yeah thats true, cuz I am sure you have seen movies or shows where Sailors have all these mermaid stories to tell and stuff.

the thing I also noticed though is that Al seems to only believe in the bad supernatural, he believes in ghosts he believes in the Devil, but he doesnt believe in Angels when they meet Angela.

I gatta say while this is a bizzare and out of Quantum Leap feel episode I love all the jokes between Sam and Al they are halarious. I also noticed something although Kristen noticed more than me that Alexandra seemed at times to be under some kind of spell because her eyes would at times look dreamy and wonderous like she was in some kind of trance.

Something that is also interesting in this ep is at the dinner table Alexandra asks what to expect of the ritual and the woman explains that there is a beast in everyone
"Some choose to fear it, others to embrace it and some seek to embrace it."

There is a represtation of this in the charactors in this ep. Sam denys it, the Drakes embrace it and Al fears it.

Last edited:
I didn't like this episode,at all.The idea seemed very interesting,but the execution of this idea just wasn't. And the Acting...I think the acting in this episode was really bad(Except Dean's and Scott's). probably the worst acting in the entire series,in my opinion.
BTW,is it just me,or there is someone else here,who think this episode looked,too much like a try to "reinvent" Chris Ruppenthal's "The B**gieman"?!

I enjoyed the dialogue between Al and Sam, but the rest of the story seemed to fall flat. The "virgin bride" seemed like an idiot to move in with a guy who thinks (and could very well be) a vampire. What did she think that ceremony would result in? I could have told her she'd end up dead, duh.

Horst only had a minimum of screen time, so I thought that the actor might be making a cameo appearance - is that correct?

I enjoyed this episode both times when I saw it. Maybe this is just the person in me who enjoys video games, but it presented a new side of Quantum Leap that made the episode rather exciting. I'm glad that it was only done once, though, because it would have gotten old, fast, if it hadn't. However, I think this episode worked well.

I'm going to have to say that this is my least favorite episode of QL. Actually, I think it's the only one I really don't like and probably won't watch again.

I don't know I kind of liked it, the quirkiness of it, though I agree the plot could have been played out much better, I mean Sam only succeeded by pure chance (Horst forgetting his hat and lightning striking Drake).

When Sam looked in the silver tray - if he really was a vampire, then technically shouldn't he have at least seen his own reflection? I assume that no reflection means Corrington has no "aura", and he would have seen himself.

When Sam looked in the silver tray - if he really was a vampire, then technically shouldn't he have at least seen his own reflection? I assume that no reflection means Corrington has no "aura", and he would have seen himself.

This is an impressive observation but I suspect that he was not able to see his own reflection because it's occupied by the leapee in the waiting room.
Note that in 'Mirror Image', the one time he is able to see his own reflection, no one is in the waiting room.

FYI, I maintain that I am not a fan of this episode.
Whilst I am a vampire fan, I find the theme far too reaching for this particular series versus other supernatural-themed episodes such as 'Bman', 'Starlight, Starbright' and 'It's a Wonderful Leap' but Al's fear of vampires and the jokes surrounding it are priceless and are the reason it's worth watching more than once.