1106 True Callings, Part I ? The Fellowship of the Leapees

The Fellowship of the Leapees

• 5 ? This is an excellent episode! One of my personal favorites!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

• 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

• 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters
D

Dman176

True Callings, Part I ?
The Fellowship of the Leapees

May 24, 1985

Hope Springs, Virginia (city ten miles south of Washington, D.C.)

While Sam adjusts to the life of a superhero, he encounters a friend from a past leap just as the project discovers the harmful effects of an e-mail message that could shut it down.

Written by: Greg Carey

Thanks,
TVS Team

Last edited:
Our rating system this season consists of five raters and three back-up raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode. Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 9

Please be aware that some reviews may contain spoilers! Some of the comments given were:

Valery S. Gemini said:
I LOVED EVERYTHING in this story, but I can't give much more comments before reading the rest... because I feel that MUCH MORE is to come. When I encounter a story such as this one which refers to past VS episodes, it urges me to read them again, and thus I get a second thrill! Now, can someone make me leap to next Thursday please?

RATING: 9

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
Great beginning to the trilogy, a great job! Can hardly wait for the next installment.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris J. Finkle said:
Being a superhero fan myself, I've really been looking forward to this one. "Guinea Pig" was one of the best QL stories I've read in a long time, and this sequel is looking to be another story that will not disappoint. I said it to myself almost a year ago that the General Hawkins character could prove to be a major obstacle for Project Quantum Leap, and I have a feeling this is only the start of more trouble to come. Looking forward to finding out more about the mysterious leaper that showed up at the end, replacing the "Kingpin" character, Darius Dreck. I have another feeling it's someone we've seen before.

I also loved the reference to the Friday night "death slot" in primetime TV; reminds me of a similar show that struggled to survive in that time slot! ;) The New Coke reference also brought back some memories (God, what were they thinking?) Also, having the leapees of the past returning should prove to be very interesting indeed. This is something that has caused tons of speculation within the QL community over what exactly they all remember of their experiences. FINALLY, this issue is being addressed, even though it might not be "official" canon. Can't wait for the continuation!

Keep up the great writing, Greg!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seeker said:
When I read your story the first time, it was in the wee small hours of Monday morning and I was rushing to read it. Later Monday evening, I had a chance to re-read it...

This is a well thought out and well written and entertaining story, though even as a child, super heroes just weren't my cup of tea.

Nicely done, Greg.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Xanadu said:
It was one of those stories that you read and even as you read and you get wrapped around the words in it -- you wonder exactly what's going to happen. Very nicely done... oh... and I loved the references in the story. They were great!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tom Jarret said:
Greg, this is a wonderful story that leaves you wanting more. The pace is extremely good in that the story tells us what we need to know when we need to know it. I loved the idea as Sam as a beatup superhero, it provides a nice symbolism for his entire leaping existence. I was thrilled to see so many charaters from previous stories come back into this arc. It provides the story a rich interwoven texture to it. It is really hard to make further comments since 2/3 of this story I have not read. Yet I certainly look forward to reading it and seeing where are the strands of your story lead. Looking very forward to Part 2.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited:
Wow, Greg, what an excellent story! :D I enjoyed every bit of it... the return of Hawkins (I can see Al boiling at him taking over duties normally belonging to him!), we see Tom Beckett again (though I don't recall this leap that J.T. is talking about... perhaps I haven't read it), and a bunch of familiar faces have returned. Yellow leap effect... methinks Mr. Connors has returned!

I noticed a few of your "obscure references"... haha... I liked the town of Wolfberg!

One thing that made me laugh was when Tom said "Uncle Al and Aunt Donna"... I have one of each. :lol

All in all, I rate this episode a 5. I can't wait to read the two follow-ups!
thumb-up.gif

... Mike. ^_^

Hi Mike...

The J.T. leap occurred in Season 8 (Brotherhood Parts I & II)

Again, in case anyone didn't see the list, here are the episodes that lead into True Callings:

Eps. 819 Brotherhood PArt I (AJ Burfield) - J.T. leap
Eps. 820 Brotherhood Part II (AJ Burfield) - J.T. leap
Eps. 1013 Second Genesis Part I (Damon Sugameli) - Connors
Eps. 1014 Second Genesis Part II (Damon Sugameli) - Connors
Eps. 1019 Guinea Pig Part I (Greg Carey) - Garner/Braden
Eps. 1020 Guinea Pig Part II (Greg Carey) - Garner/Braden
Eps. 1030 Touch 'Em All (Greg Carey) - Mark Robbins
Eps. 1031 Lifetime: Future's End (Damon Sugameli)
Eps. 1032 Lifetime: Past's Prologue (Damon Sugameli)
Eps. 1101 Lifetime: Part III (Damon Sugameli) - Sam's scar

Anyway, glad you liked it Mike, considering I haven't even really gotten to the heart of the story yet

*** DANGER POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD ***

This episode marks the beginning of the Hawkins arc (which by the end of this 10 episode storyline will be given a different name - can't tell you at this time tho..hehe)...

Anyway, forthose who have read it, these are the things you might have missed:

1) The subtitle of the story (Fellowship of the Leapees). I urge you to read J.R.R. Tolkein for this reference (My precious)
2) When Sam falls off the roof and eventually smacks into the wall is an allusion to the Greatest American Hero
3) The city of WOlfberg was actually established in the early seasons of the Virtual Seasons where Al and Beth have housing outside the project.
4) The reference to Captain Liberty show being on NBC and being moved around and getting the Friday timeslot was aimed at both Star Trek and Quantum Leap
5) Heroes have the same initials - Brad Bennings, Peter Parker, but so do villains Lex Luthor, DARIUS DRECK
6) At the last minute, the winner of the '04 Presidential election was inserted into the story
7) When Sam comments on the chef's cooking, Wellington the butler/cook replies: "I shall be delighted to do so next time I see myself in a mirror?s reflection."
8) Al is wearing an electric red suit - an allusion to the Greatest American Hero
9) Sam hates New Coke
10) Garner assisted in developing Internet technology
11) The description of Darius Dreck - a tall stocky man with a shaved head in a white business suit - is a reference to the Kingpin (a villain of Spiderman and Daredevil)
12) Al saying, "You have to wear the suit" is a reference to Bill Maxwell the FBI agent from the Greatest American Hero
13) Overall, this story was inspired by two movies - Hero At Large (an actor playing a superhero becomes the real deal) and Close Encounters of the Third Kind (where ppl who shared an encounter with UFO's all share a common goal of finding the answers and eventually reach a military base outside of Devil's Tower)

More things to be listed later when more stories have aired, otherwise I give away too much...:p

On a side note: This is the first time I really had to detail things out...For all 3 parts of the trilogy, I had to draw sketches of rooms and locations, and for all the fight scenes, I 'choreographed' everything with GI Joe figures for added realism...lol...

All right, haha, so I missed most of season 8... and was about half-way through season 7, but I forget everything now. :b I guess I'll go back and read those soon enough.

I'm glad I caught most of those references. :D Fun stuff!

... Mike. ^_^

Funny, Mike... I too have an Uncle Al and an Aunt Donna! :lol

I think I caught another obscure reference as I re-read this... the scene with Sammy Jo said the time was 10:04 PM. Back to the Future reference perhaps? Or was this a strange coincidence, Greg? :p

Anyway, I've said it before to Greg, but I think this is his best one yet! Plus... knowing what I know about not only Parts II & III, but future episodes this season, I can definitely say the ride hasn't even begun yet! *evil laughing ensues* :evil

Yeah, I forgot to put that on the list..At one point of the story i purposely set the time at 10:04pm...More obscure references to come in II and III - Next week, prepare for some crimefightin'...hehee