1132 Leap for the Future

Leap for the Future

• 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

• 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters
D

Dman176

Leap for the Future

(Leap date: unknown / Present time)
Unknown / Project Quantum Leap, Stallion's Gate, New Mexico

Ziggy is shut down for approximately five hours for replacement components to be installed. During this time period, Sam leaps into what seems to be himself and visits a young woman who seems to know a lot more than she's willing to admit?including who and, more precisely, what he is. Before Ziggy is brought back online, however, Sam leaps again?home. Is there a job to do, or is he home for good?

Written by: Lisa Rock

Thanks,
TVS Team

Last edited:
Our rating system this season consists of five raters and three back-up raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode. Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 9.4

Please be aware that some reviews may contain spoilers! Some of the comments given were:

Valery S. Gemini said:
**Valary did email me and asked me to put in a rating for her, although it was late. She thoroughly enjoyed the story. ~~MJ~~*

RATING: 10

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
A great season ender. I wonder if we will ever see Sam come home for good, but if that happened the virtual season would be ended. Don't want that happening. This was a feel good story, Sam interacting with Donna and his son was great. A great story all round. Good job!

RATING: 9

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris J. Finkle said:
What a fitting end to a season filled with mystery, intrigue and wonder. After that whole Project Liberty storyline, this was such an emotional contrast... and yet, it works perfectly. Just as the Bartender told him last week, Sam can now earn his "reward" and he sure got it, albeit temporarily. (Although, I'm sure that that was a move on the parts of the authors of the arc to tie everything together with the season finale.) One question though, since I took a look at the tag... was Merry supposed to be Ziggy? That should have been explained a little bit more, but it didn't take away my enjoyment in the least.

The picture at the end was a nice touch, and very reminiscent of how "Mirror Image" ended, which I'm guessing is what the author was going for. I can see why MJ scheduled this as the season finale before the season even began back in September. A very poignant and memorable leap which seems like it might even resonate in further stories, if those new algorithms are any indication.

Overall, an amazing first outing from Lisa Rock. Not "perfect" perfect, but impressive nonetheless, hence I'm giving it a 10. Well done!

On one final note, I'd like to commend all of the writers who had a hand in developing the ideas for this season's story arc. It definitely was a wild ride, as mentioned in MJ's and Damon's note at the end of last week's episode, and was a bit different than what we are used to in the world of Quantum Leap. As with all things, a saga needs to evolve and grow into something bigger at some point, and I get the impression that this season was just a taste of things to come. Here's looking forward to another season of wonder and amazement! See you all in September!

RATING: 10

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seeker said:
Well written with a unique twist to getting Sam a little more time with his family and friends. Well done.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Xanadu said:
Okay... I didn't have a nail biting fest like Valary usually does, but dang girl, you didn't have to make me cry. This was an excellent reward for Sam -- it's just sad that he had to leave -- again. *sniff sniff* Not fair.... not fair t'all!

Very well done!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Allie Cat said:
Rating to come.

RATING: NR

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited by a moderator:
(Originally posted by leaper1 at: 5/27/05 4:20 pm)

Looks like I'm the first non-rater to post a comment again!
What is the world coming to? I'm up to date on my Virtual Seasons reading - yay!
(Well okay - I still have half season 7 and all of season 8 and most of season 9 to read :p )
I managed this catch up due to another session of sitting in the viewing gallery at Becky's diving class.
In between her turns, I get time to read.
Oops, I missed a couple of dives cos I was so engrossed in the story! Sorry Beck!
I swear one day they are gonna ban me too - cos I keep laughing out loud, gasping and generally 'reacting' when I read VS up there. This week was no exception.
An impressive first outing for Lisa, and kudos for incorporating recent developments in the VS world (I was pleased to see the reference to Sam 'recruiting' Dom and Aurora, as their original creator it gave me a warm glow. )
An unusual and wonderfully imaginative way for Sam to achieve his Leap Mission.
I hope we will have the benefit of Lisa's talents in Season 12.

Helen

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.
(Leo Buscaglia)

Leap and the net will appear. (Anon)

Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.
(Charles Dickens)

One question though, since I took a look at the tag... was Merry supposed to be Ziggy? That should have been explained a little bit more, but it didn't take away my enjoyment in the least.

Hi there, Lisa finally checking in and discovering all these wonderful comments!! *blush*

About Merry... well... I would suppose that only time and Leaps will truly tell, yes? After all, even if it was all in Sam's subconsious, he'd need something for his mind to translate the events into. <i>The room was everything that a living room should be</i> ...doesn't that sound like something that Sam might have pulled into being because he needed a respite? He's subconsiously not willing to let himself go home, but he might have conjured up this area and talked to... well... himself.

Or is Merry a Power That Be, stationed there to keep track of Sam and help him when his soul is wayworn and weary?

If I know, I'm not telling. ;)

As for making you cry, Xan? I honestly didn't realize it could be a tearjerker until after it was sent off to see if it qualified!

Since I have been home sick the last few days, I finally had time to catch up a little bit on my reading (altho I am still wayyyy behind). This was a good season finale that actually echoed a lot of what was going on over the course of the entire season.

The picture of Sam and AL - it was nice to see an updated picture taken. A previous photo of Sam and Al together was a minor prop throughout the Project Liberty saga.

Al holding secrets - Poor Al, he really had to keep a lot in this season. Not only keeping Donna out of the loop about Sam knowing he will leap, Al quite recently had to refrain from telling Sam that his mother was dying for fear of bringing back the same guilt Sam had when his father died.

Sam coming home - Finally, Sam gets to come home and see his family intact and alive instead of the nightmare reality he experienced in an alternate timeline when a tragedy in the DC area gravely affected the nation.

This was a nice leap for Sam considering what he went through this season. It also seems like the calm before the storm that will become Season 12